The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A Replacement 420A or Evo 8/3G Eclipse 4G64 SOHC swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostJunkie17

Probationary Member
Dec 19, 2021
Dallas, Texas
Hey brothers! I am still new to the DSM world and I will admit I'm not too keen on most of the stuff these cars are capable of or as in tune with all the things you can do with these mechanically since I'm more of a 3G Eclipse 6G7X guy and I have more knowledge on the V6 SOHC 24V cars as I own 2 of them, one a 3.0L 5 Speed and one a 3.5L 5 speed Diamante swap, but I also have a knocking 420A 5 speed as well that I'm letting sit since after 3 days from buying it and driving to work, it started knocking and I'm going to bring it back this summer after my 2 3G's are up and running again as they're both going to be retuned and finished by mid next month. I am also just going to throw out the bad engine and put in a new one since I think it just would be far better to start fresh with a much better maintained engine than the 420A sitting in my car right now no matter which route I choose but I thought to consult the experts before I make a decision and pull the trigger since I'll have some time

So it led me to ask you guys on here, which route should I go? Replace my 420A and do bolt-ons or should I do a 4G64 swap from a 3G Eclipse instead and do an Evo 8/Kia G4JS Head swap? Either or I'm fine with because I personally have done at least SOME research on both engines and being in the 3G crowd I know how good those can perform as well as I've seen the stuff ARH Automotive has done with the 420A so I don't mind either but just thought I would get some input! Now, we get to the most important and fun part of this question:

1. Which one would you say is more cost effective to get running on a budget? (Budget is about 5 grand)
2. What would I need to do in order to get a 4G64 swap to get it running and how difficult would it be to setup vs. the 420A replacement?
3. For the 420A guys, how much do you think I would be able to score a good condition 420A engine for on the used market? (Remanufactured engines are PRICEY LOL. 2.8k for a 420A sounds insane LMFAO)
4. Overall, which do you think is more reliable of the two to last me longer in the future to maintain and keep going?
5. What kind of ECU setup would I need to use in order to get the 4G64 running right and would I also need to swap the transmission from the 3G eclipse in as well?
6. Could I use an Evo 8 or OEM 4G64 wiring harness for the 4G64 swap and how hard would it be to get one to work for the 2GNT chassis?

Just to make it all clear as well, I'm going to be doing just bolt-ons and tune for a while as I have the two 3G's for all my power making goals as I plan to build my 3.0L to handle up to 800whp with an HX52 16cm turbo setup later this year like a couple of my other 3G turbo nuts, but for now I'm relocating my battery to the rear on that car and putting some bolt on NA parts like a 75 Non-Mivec upper intake, Magna Headers with welded 02 sensor on it, Invidia N1 Exhaust, 3.5L Valve Covers, Tactrix Cable and a tune mid April too, are doing so this will be more like a lil weekend fun-time car when I am not driving the 3.0L or using the 3.5L Eclipse for daily purposes. Plus, even though I technically should just sell it as it is, I just couldn't sell someone a car that doesn't work as I wouldn't want to buy something that doesn't work either LOL. So, I decided, why not use it as a learning experience and see what I can do in my spare time and keep it fun and try something perhaps to enhance my car building skills slowly but surely!

Let me know what you guys think and I'd love to hear some input! I'm very excited to get this thing back on its feet and with some proper mods to boot encase I ever do decide to sell it in the future for whatever reason, at least till I can get myself a 1G GS-T 5 Speed, my REAL favorite DSM hehehe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back