The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Removing throtle body to cas bracket/intake manifold brace.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason84

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2003
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
whats the point of that big heavy brace? do you really need it ? when i changed my upper IC pipe i took it off... seams like it doesnt really do much i shook around the intake manifold and the engine and didnt seam like it needed bracing.

what did you guys do with yours ?

The reason it's so heavy is that it's one of the points for
hoisting the engine. As to whether you could do without
it completely, I don't know for sure.

there's a brace from the TB to the the head and one under the intake manifold to the block. the consensus is you can remove one but not both. the intake manifold begins to leak if you run without either brace.

be aware that if you remove the TB brace, i believe you will need shorter studs/bolts, depending on how you have them configured.

Ben

yeah well with the upper ic pipe they give you new hardware with it. and it wasnt long enough to fit w/ the brace so i figured it just came off.

yup, agree. it happened to me last night. It would build boost to about 20 psi with 40 psi compressor air, then all the sudden loud pssh (like bov noise) gushed out and boost gauge dropped down to like almost zero. Drove without the brace for about 3 years now, so it's time to put it back on.

Set,

Originally posted by bjgarvin
there's a brace from the TB to the the head and one under the intake manifold to the block. the consensus is you can remove one but not both. the intake manifold begins to leak if you run without either brace.

be aware that if you remove the TB brace, i believe you will need shorter studs/bolts, depending on how you have them configured.

Ben

I just put a 1g intake manifold on my 1g engine but tried to use the 2g Bracket "1g2gswap" and it doesnt reach far enough up to bolt into the manifold. Has anyone here just taken theirs out? Is this thing really needed to keep the manifold from cracking where its bolted to the head? Thanks

Attachments

• Dsc03207.jpg
    Dsc03207.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 713
I would keep it if possible just for the peace of mind. Get a 1g bracket and it will fit. The post above about vac lines was referring to a 1g, not your car. 1g had steel vac lines brazed to the intake support.

The bolt holding the bracket to the block is broke and the manifold nolonger has support. Is this asking for trouble? Of coarse it is nearly impossible to get a drill into the tight space so I am hoping I can just leave the bracket off. Any advice? Thanks

There is supposed to be a bolt there? j/k.
I can't remember the last time a saw mine on my old 1g. No problems.

Yeah it's not needed. The main reason it's on there is not really for supporting the manifold but for the stupid vaccum lines that are on it which should be removed.

I would like to thank everyone for the responses. I took it off completely because it thought it might be a source for some phantom knock I've been having.

I suggest only taking the manifold support bracket off only if you are eliminating the vaccum lines as well. If you still wish to have the vaccum lines then its easier just to leave the bracket connected as it has hookups and supports all the lines. But if you are eliminating the lines, then leave the bracket off. Like said before, it will save you time when removing the head again, or changing knock sensors. Plus, it will save you a whole pound! Woot!

Vacuum lines that run through the bracket do these lines need to be capped off in any way shape or form? Mine is rattling really bad...might be sending false knock signals as well so i just want to remove it..but i still have all my vac. lines on it. Can i just pull them off? Or do they need to be capped? Lemme know guys thanx.

Hi. The braket that goes from the intake manifold/throtle body to the CAS/cylinder head. Is there any ill effects in removing this braket? This is on a 1g. I know it also makes up for some of the space on the 2 right long bolts at the throtle body to hold the throtle body elbow. This could be easily resolved by cutting the braket in 3 separate pieces.
Now, why would I want to remove it? Simple! Its a B!tch to remove the throtle body elbow, the lower right bolt on the throtle body and it makes it impossible to connect AN fittings on the fuel rail. Worse yet! Its harder to re-install it. Well I do have a fmic, so the elbow turns right after the flange, making that much harder to bolt things up.
Again. What are the negative effects from removing this braket? Whos done it? Other than the guys that are not running stock manifolds and or throtle bodies.

Thanks guys.

jorge.

Negative effect could include intake manifold to head moving..The bracket it probly there to make that stuff stiff..But I don't see why you couldn't remove it..Especially if your using poly or solid motor mounts anyways...

Negative effect could include intake manifold to head moving..The bracket it probly there to make that stuff stiff..But I don't see why you couldn't remove it..Especially if your using poly or solid motor mounts anyways...

I have never heard of it moving because of that. I swear that it was put there as a lift point instead for removing the motor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back