The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Remove shift arm from trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

er82

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2014
Sacramento, California
I'm in the process of rebuilding the 5spd awd transmission and I wanted to remove the shift arm. It looks like there are two pins. One is spring pin which came out easy. The other seems solid and hasn't moved yet. I hammered it and it won't budge. How to remove it? Should I use a press?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wow! of the 5 transmission's I have cracked open ive never seen one that nasty on the inside LOL. I'm not for sure on the solid pin I cant remember but I think it only comes out one way? A press doesn't give much feedback and can be a good way to break something so be careful.

I just tore a transmission down today if I work on it tomorrow I will mess with that pin and see if I can get it to move.

Wow! of the 5 transmission's I have cracked open ive never seen one that nasty on the inside LOL. I'm not for sure on the solid pin I cant remember but I think it only comes out one way? A press doesn't give much feedback and can be a good way to break something so be careful.

I just tore a transmission down today if I work on it tomorrow I will mess with that pin and see if I can get it to move.

Yes it's pretty dirty. There is sludge on the inner walls and magnet is full of metal sludge.

I want to take it all apart an give it to a machine shop for cleaning.

If you find out how the pin comes out please let me know. Maybe I need to use heat or a torch.

If I don't get to it tomorrow I will Thursday. I have 5 transmissions im working on salvaging parts trying to build a few spares. Finding a good center diff housing has eluded me, I have 6 housings that are all trashed or need sent out. I don't have that much room in my garage so they're 30mins away in my dads garage or I would have tried get that pin out of one of them this evening.

Price getting the parts hot tanked or ultra sonic cleaned. If its too expensive you might be better off getting a parts washer from harbor freight if you have room for it. They are real handy to have.

Maybe somebody else can chime in but I had a scrap housing once and I cut that shaft out. Just to see what it would take I tried to remove that pin. 20 ton press didnt budge it.

I remember one of the big DSM tranny shops (Shep, Jacks, etc) posted their advice on just this subject. It was a few years back but it may still be floating around in cyberspace somewhere.

When I searched yesterday I only found info about removing the external arm(where the cables mount). Jack's said it was a tapered pin and you could only get it out with an air hammer. Maybe ill stumble into some info today about that internal pin.

When I searched yesterday I only found info about removing the external arm(where the cables mount). Jack's said it was a tapered pin and you could only get it out with an air hammer.
That may be what I'm remembering, I'm not sure.

I messed with that pin in a junk housing. The mitsu service manual shows a punch and a hammer LOL. I couldn't get it to move. There is too much spring back on the shaft since its supported by the seal, you cant really get a solid hold on the shaft to hammer the pin out. Maybe some blocks of steel could be put under the shaft to support it so when you hammer it the shaft isn't moving around in the seal.

IMHO I wouldn't mess with it unless its broken LOL. Looking at it today it cant be tapered, you have to drive it down and out to remove the shaft, then drive it from the top when you assemble. It cant come apart any other way.

I know this thread is old but I was looking for info on how to take off the shift arm 1990 TSI AWD manual, and I see talk here to drill out a pin in the transmission. This wrong, the correct way is with a punch and hammer, or as stated above air hammer with pin punch.

You need to use an air hammer with a good sharp pointed tip, then follow it through with an air hammer 3/16" pin punch. They can be finicky, sometimes you will need to grind a flat spot on it, then drill a bit, then punch it out. Again, I deal with this stuff on a regular basis and they can be time consuming to remove even with the correct tools, and other times it is a quick and easy removal. Just depends on how lucky you get doing it. As for changing out the external lever arm, you can always use an air hammer with 3/16" pin punch and remove the one-way pin from the lever arm itself working it back to front, then work off the arm, install the different one, and reinstalling the solid pin from the front.

My ATD 5736 air hammer punch set has a 3/16" punch. Otherwise I have a few here I ground down with a drill and bench grinder.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back