The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Radiator fan not turning on at high temperatures

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightyguy382

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2013
Rancho Cucamonga, California
My radiator fan does not turn on regardless of temperature, which results in the car overheating. All of the relays work, the fuse is good, the fan motor works fine, and I replaced the coolant temperature sensor. I'm not sure what else to check, any suggestions?

The ECU commands the fan relays to turn on. Have you tried turning them on by overriding them with a scanner? If they come on that way, then your ECU must not think it's that hot.

If they don't come on that way, then when you ground ECU pins 21 and/or 20, does the fan come on?

If they still don't come on, then you have a wiring issue.

I wasn't aware that you can override the ecu to turn on the fans. I have a scanner, how exactly would be able to do that?

If you have Link you can do it through that too. I think he meant a diagnostic computer and not just your everyday auto store scanner.

Well I'm probably going to check the ecu today or tomorrow, the car keeps inventing new ways to bug me, still love it though.

All of the above are correct. If you have a dsm link you can access the fans from there and if you turn on the A/C it should automatically turn on the fans. If not the ecu's of these cars will start to have problems. I think the capacitors start to leak, but when my car was upgraded to chip it for bigger injectors the guys from DSMlink fixed it so its like brand new. This engine management system was the best thing I have ever purchased for a performance car that I have built (Z28, Grand National, Toyota Supra, two mustangs and three DSM's)! Best bang for the buck ever! One other thing is you can go old school and hard wire a switch in the car and turn it manually. But you should really find out the reason and use the switch just till you track down the problem. Please let me know if that helped. Good luck

Would I be able to put the ac fan (radiator fan on driver side) as the main cooling fan? Does it need any wiring or is it just plug and play?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back