The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Questions for Justin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I think I'm going to just try a different gauge because I have no signs of oil starvation anywhere I can tell. I even examined the stock t25 last night which I have put about 16K miles on since I had the car and the car is sitting at 161K miles. There is minimal side to side and no In/out. I'd imagine the oil pressure issue wouldn't have started within the last 100 miles since I changed the turbo.

Also the HX35 still seems perfect but again only at 100 miles. I do still have balance shafts and if I truly am having an oil pressure issue, I'll be pulling the motor and putting it on a stand for the oil pump replacement and BSE. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Any specific gauge I should try? I have the $30 JEGS brand mechanical gauge hooked up.

JEGS Performance Products 41200 JEGS 2-5/8'' Gauges

Thats the gauge I am using, for the record it is right at the turbo where I'm reading from. Maybe I should test at the oil filter housing? I also don't like how the nylon tubing goes together, it seems to pinch off the line a bit at both brass fittings which I imagine could through off the readings. I've tried it several ways but it still pinches. Maybe an AEM digital gauge would be better?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oil pressure seems to build up smoothly and just hits a wall right around 50PSI. Maybe my relief spring has been modified or is just weak? What can I try before actually replacing the pump?

Ouch, Looks like you barely have the 10psi minimum at idle (the 10psi is what the turbo requires- maybe it's 12 i can't recall right now)

I can't say for 100% certain but i would think you maybe need an oil pump, but i'm not sure if the difference could be the balance shafts. You might want to search what normal oil pressure is with b-shafts. i mean anything to double check the readings before deciding ot pull the engine and possibly end uip with the same readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pressure at the head will stay pretty much the same. BSE or not.

OH,. is he measuring at the head? I thought that was a reading from the feed line coming off the OFH. if that's head pressure i'd say test it at the OFH bacuase you're probably just fine

I did see that the pressure is at the turbo so that's safe for the turbo and probably less than what the engine is seeing at the OFH, I would say you morethan likely don't have anything to worry about

OH,. is he measuring at the head? I thought that was a reading from the feed line coming off the OFH. if that's head pressure i'd say test it at the OFH bacuase you're probably just fine

I did see that the pressure is at the turbo so that's safe for the turbo and probably less than what the engine is seeing at the OFH, I would say you morethan likely don't have anything to worry about

This measurement is being taken at the turbo feedline from the OFH unrestricted with balance shafts. After work today I'm going to measure right at the OFH to see if it's different. Obviously the pressure at the turbo is less than what the motor sees, I'm hoping it will be alright at until winter. Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

Hey jus, I had a he351ve fall into my lap this week. My ? is I see a few guys making controllers and finding ways to run this turbo on our cars. Is there any bolt on turbine housing like dsm or t3 flange for this turbo. I'm not sure what to do with this thing yet, I will say its in very good condition. Thx for any help bro

What would cause this ?? Atleast 1/8 play

its a Presition 6131rs never used..only thing I did was clock it..thnaks

Ok so I got this turbo for free. It was on my buddies show car so it only has 5k miles on it. Absolutely zero shaft play and max boost seen was 9lbs. I just wanted to get some info on the turbo and get a fair market value. I plan on selling it on craigslist or eBay.

it's an ebay copy of a garrett turbo, probably "supposed" to be a 50 or57 trim, being that it's an ebay unit it's worth whatever you can get, probably about 50 bucks at best. sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Hey jus, I had a he351ve fall into my lap this week. My ? is I see a few guys making controllers and finding ways to run this turbo on our cars. Is there any bolt on turbine housing like dsm or t3 flange for this turbo. I'm not sure what to do with this thing yet, I will say its in very good condition. Thx for any help bro
Anything you'd do would be custom. You can't change the turbine housing...that's where the VGT is located.

What would cause this ?? Atleast 1/8 play

its a Presition 6131rs never used..only thing I did was clock it..thnaks
The shaft on all ball bearing turbos is supported fully by the bearings; the bearings need a small amount of room in order to operate smooth and quiet. This can translate into a noticeable amount of play at the shaft ends....although yours seems to be more than the GT Garrett's I've seen.

I did work on a customer's car once with a ball bearing PTE unit and it had more in/out play that I'd even like to see on a journal bearing turbo....but ball bearing units have no thrust system- so I'm not sure what the hell was going on there.

I just wanted to get some info on the turbo and get a fair market value. I plan on selling it on craigslist or eBay.
XS Power Chinese knockoff. Probably sold for $150 new, so value is around $free to $50.

I have to second Justin on the ball bearing turbo play, My PTE6776RS had so much play that if it were a journal bearing unit it would have been trash. Garrett says on their site that there's no set limit to play in a BB unit, as long as the blades dont touch the housing the turbo is fine because BB turbos need more room for the rollers/balls to be able to operate smoothly. I would say it's ok. and I also have to second that the PTE units have a lot more play than garrett BB units but they all seem to be about the samne from the ones i've worked on and owned

I have a 20g that im rebuilding, and I have a question.

I have rebuilt a few 16g's but not any 20g's. I didnt know if they were the same or not because this one is a little different. There is a snap ring holding the exhaust side journal bearing in place. everything looks the same besides that part.

I just wanted to ask before I buy a rebuild a rebuild kit. Here's a pic for reference.

I you get a rebuild kit from gpop it will come with new snap rings for the bearings. I just got done rebuilding a 20g for a friend and my kit came with new ones just FYI.

Did yours look like mine where the snap ring holds the journal bearing in or did your bearing just slide out?

It's a mhi 20g is yours. Sorry bro I thought I remembered it havin them on top as well but just went out to garage and checked and I was wrong. Only has them on inside of bearing. So ull have to wait for Justin to chime in and maybe tell you what turbo it is and why. Again sorry for the miss information on my part.

I have rebuilt a few 16g's but not any 20g's. I didnt know if they were the same or not because this one is a little different. There is a snap ring holding the exhaust side journal bearing in place. everything looks the same besides that part.
Looks like a knockoff to me- no Genuine TD05H's ever came with retainers on both sides of the turbine-side journal bearing.

Hey Justin I just got a used PTE SCM61/CompTurbo 50 trim hybrid and was wondering what style of oil drain they use and the best place to get one? Also what do you think of this turbo?

Hey Justin I just got a used PTE SCM61/CompTurbo 50 trim hybrid and was wondering what style of oil drain they use and the best place to get one?
Most T3 -10AN drain kits will fit even though they have a smaller inside diameter than the stock drain.

More info on that topic here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tur...turbo-users-your-oil-drain-may-too-small.html
Also what do you think of this turbo?
Not much. SCM6152's are terrible- I'd be interested in seeing what Comp did to make it better/worse.

Looks like a knockoff to me- no Genuine TD05H's ever came with retainers on both sides of the turbine-side journal bearing.

Didnt know if it made a difference, but it was a TD06 20G.

The turbo itself looks legit as can be. The turbo wasnt blown or anything. I was just upgrading it to a 60-1 wheel with a 3in compressor cover aswell as a rebuild while im there. Do you think it would be alright if I was to remove that bearing and replace it with the ones that are in the kit as long as there the same size?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back