The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Question about fuel tank drain plug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyE

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2016
Martinsburg, West_Virginia
Hey guy's, I went to drain my fuel tank (93 laser fwd) and when I removed the drain bolt it was barely dripping. So I used a light to check the orifice and it appeared clogged. I then took a scratch all to try and unclog it, as I was pushing up a little something gave way and the fuel came poring out. After draining I then went to insert the drain bolt and there was no threads in the orifice? I do believe I pushed the threaded portion into the tank while trying to unclog it. Is the threaded portion connected to the pump in any way? and can I just re position it to re install the drain bolt. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

The threaded portion is not connected to the fuel pump in any way. The threaded part should be spot welded to the tank.
You can try taking the fuel pump off and taking a look inside to see if the welds really broke

If i recall fwd doesn't have a drain plug. The bolt holds the bracket to the fuel pump on a fwd. It's kind of a drain plug if you look at it that way. Awd does have a drain plug.

No it's not spot welded, when I took a look today I seen no evidence of spot welds, the bracket seems to be staked to the tank. I do believe the bolt is to hold the bracket that is connected to the fuel pump. Well I guess I will be removing the fuel pump and taking a look will also probably weld on a bung for a real drain plug as well. Thanks for all of the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Pauley is right, Only awd has a dedicated drain plug, I just realized that. So yeah in that case you probably just need to re-align that fuel pump bracket

Yeah I think your right, hopefully when I remove that fuel pump I don't have any issues with those little studs. I will make sure to report back when done. Thanks again for all of the help fellas.

Alright well I removed the fuel pump and like with most older cars ran into a few issues along the way. The first surprise I noticed was everything on the outside looked immaculate, no rust anywhere and the fuel line was removed with no issues as well. When in the fuel tank I noticed quite a bit of rust and I also noticed that the fuel pump bracket was rusted and the piece that attached tho the bottom of the tank broke off. I will be making a stainless fuel pump bracket and I will most likely be fabing up a aluminum or stainless fuel tank so that this never happens again. Thanks again for all of the help fellas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back