The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Easiest way to drain fuel tank on 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_drake2

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 26, 2012
Baytown, Texas
I need to get bad gas out of my gas tank and also check to see if my tank is bad. My problem is I don't know the easiest way to do this without destroying the tank. The car doesn't start or run so I can't pump it out. Any suggestions?

Oh and also it's pretty much a full tank of gas.

Last edited:
If u have ecmlink there's an option to run ur fuel pump on with the car off

I wouldn't do that... If you run the pump till it's dry, you could damage it. I think there's a drain plug on the tank. Otherwise, you can take the fuel pump out and siphon out the gas from the resulting hole.

2g gas tanks are plastic and probably don't have drain plugs, I never looked for one when I removed my tank. I did like A Sharp said and pumped the fuel out from the top through the fuel pump hole. If this is an AWD car the tank is saddle shaped for the driveshaft and holds fuel on both sides.

Why would you damage the pump? I've drained a tank this way. You don't need ecmlink. 1g and 2g have a fuel pump check connector under hood. I pulled the return line. Got 5 ft of hose and put it in a bucket. Hooked up to return at the pressure regulator. Gets most of the fuel out.

I'm going to have to agree with gst-turbo on this one, sounds easier than doing what I did which was taking out the fuel pump and had a little bottle and submerged it in the tank and kept doing that until most of it was out. Just turn off the fuel pump when you see your almost on E, you have a working gas gauge correct?

I used a portable pump that I hooked up to a battery. I pulled the pump housing and put the intake line in the bottom of the tank and the outlet to a gas can. Drained the tank to as close to empty as it will get.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back