The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Pulled My Trans Tonight in 1 Hour 5 mins!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
So I'm happy it went that well. This is the second time I've pulled it ever (twice in 7 months) This was working by myself on my garage floor, no air tools, I was hauling though trying to get done.

I was having shifting problems and then it wouldn't go into gear at all with the car on. Once I had the trans out I was looking around with the light and couldn't see anything wrong, thought I pulled it for nothing, but then I grabbed the throw out bearing and it slid off the input shaft in 5 pieces LOL! Over the summer I grenaded the bearings out of one, and now this one fell apart. OEM like everyone says to use, but I think I had the clutch adjusted wrong and it was always putting pressure on the PP.

EDIT:

Also last time I changed my fuel injectors it took me exactly 7mins from start to finish! This car is making me sound like a really good mechanic LOL.

did you drop the engine out the bottom of the car with the trans as one unit? I need to pull my trans out. I got no reverse.

did you drop the engine out the bottom of the car with the trans as one unit? I need to pull my trans out. I got no reverse.

Drop the engine out OMG ??? I just jacked it up and dropped the trans. I have a fwd though and I know the awd guys have a little more work to do. Nothing like dropping the engine with it though.

Yeah I'd say only another 15 minutes or so for the AWD setup, if you're quick!

Pretty much just the transfer case that also needs to come off... I think it's only 8 bolts.

Still... that's a pretty damn good time!

I think last time I pulled my tranny (AWD) it took about 3 hours with two guys, but we weren't in a hurry.

Shit took me 30 mins on a awd with air tools set out. 3 or 4 people there watching me do it in disbelief.

I use to pull my trans for something at least 3-4 times a week so I have lots of practice.

Takes me about 45-an hour to pull the trans in my garage on the floor with hand tools.

Gotta find some short cuts man!!

** And why are you droping or lifting the engine from the car? There is no need for this what so ever.

Looks like you have a decently clean engine bay, so that saves a ton of time and frustration.
Pullin it is the easy part!
True with awd's, need to take off the DP and xfer case, do FWD's need to drop the DP?

Me and my buddy have it down to 45mins on awd 1g's, and 45mins for installation. Do it like 15 times and you will get quick haha.

I've come to realize that on 2G's, it's easier to just pull the engine out with the tranny everytime. Mostly due to the fact that 3 of the 4 mounts are attached to the tranny unlike the engine block on the 1G cars. I should probably clarify something too - pulling the tranny is usually never a problem, but it's a royal PITA to re-install the tranny by itself on a 2G. I've always preferred to drop the engine and tranny in together. It's just quicker and much less bothersome.

The last time I pulled my engine and tranny by myself, I timed myself at 65 minutes start to finish. With diligent help, I can cut 20-25 minutes from that time. Not bad for working off the garage floor.

I dropped my AWD tranny in 1hr20mins, lucky for me I had dropped it recently so bolts where easy and obedient.

I've come to realize that on 2G's, it's easier to just pull the engine out with the tranny everytime. Mostly due to the fact that 3 of the 4 mounts are attached to the tranny unlike the engine block on the 1G cars. I should probably clarify something too - pulling the tranny is usually never a problem, but it's a royal PITA to re-install the tranny by itself on a 2G. I've always preferred to drop the engine and tranny in together. It's just quicker and much less bothersome.

The last time I pulled my engine and tranny by myself, I timed myself at 65 minutes start to finish. With diligent help, I can cut 20-25 minutes from that time. Not bad for working off the garage floor.

Battery tray on small hydrolic jack, drop car to lowest point with jackstand holding engine in place and tranny under car. Lift tranny up and push jack under tranny with wheels facing forward, jack tranny up to engine height(remember car is so low to the ground) and push forward, wala 5 mins.

Wow not bad at all.....i still gotta see this beast of yours run come spring... anything new to it? I havnt followed the blog recently
Ceramic coating, carbon fiber intake pipe, meth injection, and fuse box relocation. That's all that's on the winter 'to do' list and it's half done already. I'm sure you'll see me around GR or Kzoo sometime this coming summer. :)

Battery tray on small hydrolic jack, drop car to lowest point with jackstand holding engine in place and tranny under car. Lift tranny up and push jack under tranny with wheels facing forward, jack tranny up to engine height(remember car is so low to the ground) and push forward, wala 5 mins.
Man, I swear I've tried several different tricks using floor jacks and a hoist and nothing is ever quicker and easier than just pulling the entire assembly everytime. Plus it's just good practice. ;)

Wow guys I thought I was fast! Reinstalled last night, spent about an hour and a half, just have to refill the trans fluid and bolt my slave cylinder back up. I used my brother-in-law's tranny jack though so trans installation was cake.

I changed the clutch on a 3g prelude(88-91 I think) and it was a royal pain. 5.5 hours to pull it (the axles are really g@y and you have to take off a lot of stuff to get to them) and about 4.5 to re-install. To get the trans in and out you have to take off the front motor mount and loosen up the rear so you can twist the motor away from the trans to get the clearance to drop it and re-install it.

I love how easy dsm's are to work on.....besides 17yr old bolts.

i would like to see a video or tutorial with pics that would help us first timers

That would be pretty cool to make a video, I actually might do that next time. I didn't install the lsd that I wanted to but since it doesn't take long at all I'll hopefully do that sometime this year.

But a video-tutorial tech section would be awesome.

Man, I swear I've tried several different tricks using floor jacks and a hoist and nothing is ever quicker and easier than just pulling the entire assembly everytime. Plus it's just good practice. ;)

Never pulled an engine, I will be bound to break something.

dam im glad to see this thread. I start pulling my tranny tommorrow and it will be me and my brother. this is the 2nd fwd tranny ive pulled(1st was a cb7 accord). Ive been kinda nervous and dreading this but after reading all this i figured it wont be that hard for us.

quick question.
What size is the axle nut to get the cv joint out? and does someone have a walk through so I can study it and somewhat be familiar with it?

Thanks again for posting this up

Seems like a lot of the 1g guys have an easier time pulling tranny's out then 2g guys. It takes me roughly 2-3 hours to drop (working at a moderate pace) the tranny, drift shaft and another 1-2 hours putting it back in. The motor mounts and the cv joints are what kills me.

quick question.
What size is the axle nut to get the cv joint out? and does someone have a walk through so I can study it and somewhat be familiar with it?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...g-turbo-fwd-clutch-flywheel-install-swap.html

First time took me about 4.5 hours, but I spent about 30 mins trying to break the axle nuts loose. I was moving slow and meticulously. This time around I knew where everything was and where it went so that's why it went so fast. Don't be surprised if it takes you 3 hours or more. I would alot for at least 5 just to be on the safe side.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back