1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Grinding sound when braking - only after 15 mins of driving

Posted by Spades, Jan 27, 2020

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Spades

Spades Proven Member

Joined Apr 29, 2007
    Beaumont, California
    Ive got a grinding sound during braking, but it only happens after at least about 15 mins of driving and never before that. I was thinking the CV axle so i replaced the driver side because i found a torn inner boot, but didnt make a difference, grinding noise is still there. I recently installed new brake pads, but the grinding started about a week after the install. Any ideas or suggestions? I cant think of any component that would only start to make a grinding sound after about 15 mins of driving. First 10 mins of driving, the brakes are perfect

623  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  2. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Previously tk106

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's going to be hard to tell you what going on through the interwebs. Best thing you can do is get it hot, put it up on jack stands safely, and see if you can replicate the noise with someone controlling the gas and brakes.

292  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

295  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  3. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Since it started after you changed the brakes, and only makes the noise when on the brakes. I would be start looking there. Try to figure out which side it's coming from and take it back apart. Make sure you put everything back together correctly, maybe you mixed up the slide pins, or didn't put enough grease on them.

Autocross Build 384  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2006
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    Did you reuse the old pad shims? Rusty ones can cause the pad to hang up at an angle in the bracket. Look for a scored grove in the rotor.

Attached Files:

2K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  11

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Spades

Spades Proven Member

Joined Apr 29, 2007
    Beaumont, California
    I dont recall any shims during the assembly. But wouldnt that grind all the time if it was at an angle, and not just after 10-15 mins of driving?

623  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  6. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2006
    When the brakes heat up, things expand. That whole area can become very hot. If the pads aren't kept in place with a good set of well lubed shims, all sorts of stuff can happen. Worst case scenario the pads wear incorrectly and cut into the rotor and cause a safety concern. Can you snap a couple of pictures?

2K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  11

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    steve and tk106 like this.
  7. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Previously tk106

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Expansion takes place anytime heat gets involved. You should pick up a shim kit and install it. Make sure to apply proper lube and clean off where the shims are installed.

292  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

295  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 2K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
  8. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    What? So you did not use shims for your brake shoes? I'm a little confused at this.

EDIT: So you just didn't change them.

Road Race Build 3K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

45  3

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire 150R
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

76  6

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire (325 swapped)
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles
  9. Spades

Spades Proven Member

Joined Apr 29, 2007
    Beaumont, California
    Ok i took a look yesterday, and yes the shims are there. After doing many brake jobs in the past on various cars, i tend to forget the lesser things in the assembly. Plus getting older... So, my plan of attack from here is to get the car hot and immediately jack up the car and rotate, wobble, rock the assembly while someone lightly steps on the brakes and see if i can find anything. At this point i am leaning toward wheel bearing

623  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  10. delta448

delta448 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2006
    Very possible. In my experience though, the wheel bearings make noise all the time when bad, they can even make a howling noise at speed, not just when braking.

2K  5

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  11

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. Jk's97DSM

Jk's97DSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 27, 2006
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Raise the car up on all 4’s in neutral and rotate the wheels. There shouldn’t be that much different is force applied but if there is look at that wheel. Caliper slide pins stick, pistons get frozen and hoses deteriorate. That is if it’s brake related.

99  1

1990 Mitsubishi Mirage EXE (SLO CSM)
    manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 431  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
  12. Jk's97DSM

Jk's97DSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 27, 2006
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Wheels bearings tend to make noise while going straight of one direction in a turn. Drive down the road and turn into the other lane. Does the noise go away? Turn back. Did the noise go away? One of those will tell you. Tires will just make noise all of the time.

99  1

1990 Mitsubishi Mirage EXE (SLO CSM)
    manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 431  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM