The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Whining and grinding noise when driving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19TalonTuner96

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2011
Altavista, Virginia
So I've researched this problem for a while...And i haven't been able to find anything on this..I have a 99 eclipse spyder 2.4 non turbo 5 speed. I've had this car for about 3 months..And recently it started having this loud whining noise coming from something on the front of the car..when idling,revving the car (even with the clutch pushed in) it doesn't do it...But as soon as i start to move the car and it gets up to about 20mph it starts whining and the faster i go the louder it gets....and if i release the gas pedal it makes a grinding noise..even when coming to a complete stop it'll grind. I asked a local mechanic and he said it was the throw out bearing so i tore it apart and replaced the throw out bearing...I checked the clutch and everything and it seemed to be pretty new. So i put it back together today...and its still doing it..If anyone knows what this problem is or has a idea of what it could be i'd greatly appreciate the advice..cause i'd sure love to get this car running right! Thanks

Michael.

(Oh i don't know if this really matters but on the side of the trans where theres suppose to be a shield to block stuff from getting up in it...The shields missing it didn't come with the car. just figured i'd add that in)

That splash guard is not really going to prevent wear, just keep the lower part of the engine bay cleaner. As stated, a bearing in the trans or even more likely the wheel bearing in the hub. Lift the front of the car and shake each wheel to see if there is any play in the hub.

I know its not the wheel hub...cause i just replaced them haha. How hard is it to replace the diff bearings?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back