The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Odd whining noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Painhour

Probationary Member
Jul 26, 2013
Pilot mountain, North_Carolina
Hello all, I have over the past two months developed a whine in the driveline. It is only under throttle, or making sharp slow turns to the right. It seems to go quiet with the clutch engaged (pressed to the floor) and returns once under throttle again, the noise while turning is only when out of gear. I have checked the forums but have not located a post related to my issue. Also the fluids have been replaced by me to mitsubishi spec. The car in question is a 1990 Awd talon with a viscous rear end. Thanks for your replies in advance

Sounds to me like a worn belt, you say when you push the clutch in the noise goes away, when you push the clutch in the motors revolutions go down so whatever belt isn't spinning as fast so it stop whinning, then whenever you give it gas it whines again. Hope this helps.

thanks i will look into it, sure it has all 147g/miles on it like the timing and balance shaft belt did when i got it

It is very possible that it is the pilot bearing. A pilot bearing will make a whining noise when worn or damaged. As it wears more the bearing will whine louder and louder.

I don't mean to sound like a smart A**, but Kyle, when you depress the cluth, it is true that the engine RPMs do drop becuase there is less of a load on the engine. But, the PCM compensates for the drop and keeps RPMs at a desired speed and then increases the engine speed back to the desirable RPMs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back