The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Screaming/Whining noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablobtown

Proven Member
Sep 16, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Ok so I DID SEARCH and could not find a situation like mine. At the beginning of winter this year I began to notice a screaming or whining noise coming from engine bay. It only occurs in low RPMs, It was go directly with revs and then once it decides to (normally around 2500rpm) it just completely cuts out. This happens in neutral as well as in gear. After the engine warms up it disapears for the most part. Today I replaced my alternator belt hoping it was that... but no avail... Can anyone help me out here?!

Last edited:
Depending on how cold it gets where you live, it could be the power steering pump. I know on my car where I live, -32 last night, the power steering fluid is pretty thick and the pump will whine like crazy till the fluid warms up.

Depending on how cold it gets where you live, it could be the power steering pump. I know on my car where I live, -32 last night, the power steering fluid is pretty thick and the pump will whine like crazy till the fluid warms up.

i believe its this aswell, when i use to not let my car warm up completely it used to scream like it was being raped. now that i let it warm up completely i haven't heard the sound.

Well it didn't do it today and it was warm enough to drive around with the top down (50 degrees) ;D But yesterday it was about 30 degrees above. Its not too bad here in Indiana

Other thing is that it doesn't matter if I use the steering or not. If im just sitting and rev it'll scream. If I turn the wheel it doesn't affect it at all.

The power steering pump will whine whether your tuning or not. But with it only getting to like 30 I dont see it doing it, but maybe.

Other things I have done is to start the car up, and if the whining noise is there, grab a can of wd-40 and spray some on anything with a pulley. If one quiets down, thats the one thats bad.

It could be one of the timing belt components rubbing on the timing cover. Pull the covers off and check for indications of rubbing.

Thats the same sound my 14b turbo made before it quit boosting. I took a look inside the turbo inlet and could see my turbine wiggling around. Check shaft play and what not, could just be a belt wine though LOL. Either way its obviously rpm dependent.

The sound does not seem to be from the timing belt area but it does not hurt to check your crankshaft pulley and make sure the rubber is not broken. Mine broke off and it sounded more like a belt screech.

That does sound like a timing belt that is to tight! have you done anything with the belt recently? if so you should retry the tensioning process

Could be a simple boost leak, that's what it sounds like to me! Loose clamp or ripped coupler, I would do a simple boost leak test before anything else! Also look at the exhaust could be a cracked manifold, tubrine housing or o2 housing! Which makes some sense. You said it goes away when the car warms up and is more apparent cold. A crack would be open more when cold, once the car heats up the metal expands and closes the crack somewhat. Just a few thoughts! :)

Its hard to pinpoint from the video. Doesnt sound like the p.s. pump. Doesnt sound like exhaust leak. Just might be like someone has already suggested above. May be a belt thats too tight. Try taking a section of hose to your ear and probe around the belt/timing cover area.

I haven't touched my timing... I not real comfortable messing with timing. I'm going to take it a local well known tuning auto shop tomorrow. Family friend owes the place and will look at it for free, and probably teach me what exactly what I need to do. They just rebuilt my friends 4g64, and did a nice job with it! I hope it's as simple as just loosen the timing belt a bit.

If you havnt touched the timing than its not it. The timing isn't going to tighten up all the sudden on its own atleast it shouldn't, but anything is possible. It will however loosen on its own or break LOL! I still would do a blt and look at the turbo closer. Can you make a longer video for us?

I dont think its timing either but as a side note tell me that isnt the original belt? Harmonic balancer can squeal too. It may be low miles but its old. I had some failures on my 52k 2g.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back