The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Pop-up Headlights (both) Won't Retract!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleB

Probationary Member
Nov 24, 2019
Dickinson, Texas
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I have a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI that I have owned since new and have taken very good care of it. For some unknown reason the headlights will pop up, but won't retract. I have the Eagle Talon TSI service manuals and have checked all of the obvious reasons that might cause this problem. I have replaced the pop-up relay and checked out the fuses related to the operation of both pop-up mechanisms, but to no avail. The car have never been in an accident so that can be ruled out. I have checked all the ground connections associated with the pop-up mechanisms and all looked clean and dry. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what you think might be causing this problem.

Is the manual pop-up switch on the dash on? Could be shorted too. Otherwise the pop-up relay in the driver kick would be my guess. I ended up changing that relay out for a standard 30 amp relay.

Just in case rule out frozen rods. I know both sides frozen don't make sense but it's a free test and you can lube them while you at it. Manually crank them also. Then you need to check for power and ground. Mine was going up while the other was going down. I ended up checking the rods and just push on it to sync them back up.

Wait if they get stuck up.... how are you getting them back down?

I'm thinking the relay in the driver kick panel. Clearly you have power and ground. Only other thought is the head light switch on the steering column.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back