1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Pop-up Headlights (both) Won't Retract!

Posted by EagleB, Jul 13, 2020

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. EagleB

EagleB Probationary Member

Joined Nov 24, 2019
    Dickinson, Texas
    90EagleTalonTSI-LFront(annotated)-5-9-04(3X2.5X98).jpg I have a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI that I have owned since new and have taken very good care of it. For some unknown reason the headlights will pop up, but won't retract. I have the Eagle Talon TSI service manuals and have checked all of the obvious reasons that might cause this problem. I have replaced the pop-up relay and checked out the fuses related to the operation of both pop-up mechanisms, but to no avail. The car have never been in an accident so that can be ruled out. I have checked all the ground connections associated with the pop-up mechanisms and all looked clean and dry. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what you think might be causing this problem.

mitsubishikid likes this.
  2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Is the manual pop-up switch on the dash on? Could be shorted too. Otherwise the pop-up relay in the driver kick would be my guess. I ended up changing that relay out for a standard 30 amp relay.

Street Build 798  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

745  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  3. Brembo

Brembo Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2014
    Clifton, New Jersey
    Just in case rule out frozen rods. I know both sides frozen don't make sense but it's a free test and you can lube them while you at it. Manually crank them also. Then you need to check for power and ground. Mine was going up while the other was going down. I ended up checking the rods and just push on it to sync them back up.

Street Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    Wait if they get stuck up.... how are you getting them back down?

I'm thinking the relay in the driver kick panel. Clearly you have power and ground. Only other thought is the head light switch on the steering column.