The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Pod Filter on Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

605jdm

Proven Member
Feb 7, 2016
siouxfalls, South_Dakota
Right now I have a pod filter on the end of my MAF Behind the passenger headlight but I want to just put a filter directly on my turbo. Will I lose any performance? I just want my turbo to sound louder and I have speed density.

Are you using the stock MAF or speed density? If you're using speed density then yes you can take that MAF off the front of the turbo and just run a filter.
If the stock MAF is still being used then no, the car won't run without it.

I'm running speed density I'm just wondering If the filter being closer to the exhaust manifold with effect it or anything.

You will lose power mounting the filter directly on the turbo. Will you notice a difference? Who knows, since the maf is already a restriction. You want smooth airflow going to the turbo inlet. A direct mount filter causes too much turbulence.

You will lose power mounting the filter directly on the turbo. Will you notice a difference? Who knows, since the maf is already a restriction. You want smooth airflow going to the turbo inlet. A direct mount filter causes too much turbulence.

What maf?

I'm running speed density I'm just wondering If the filter being closer to the exhaust manifold with effect it or anything.

No maf! Heat will definitely be an issue as @ warren stated. You want the cleanest air you can. The less heat the better! Also could depend on size of turbo too, if the filter itself becomes a restriction.

Your turbo sucking in hot air ain't gonna make enough difference to be noticeable. Cold air intake on a turbo is not like a NA car. The turbo is attached to the exhaust, the air it compresses is gonna be hot no matter what temp it entered the turbo.

Sure, ambient temp plays a big role in the temp of your intercooler. Not so much on the temp of the air at the compressor outlet. The air being sucked in over by your headlight ain't gonna be that much cooler to start with, it's still in the engine bay? It still passes through the hot ass intake pipe, the even hotter turbo, and the hot lower intercooler pipe.
Put a filter on hanging out of your bumper then one like stock. The IAT isn't gonna drastically change between the two. You'll also notice I said "noticeable" difference not "no difference at all".

Last edited:
Your turbo sucking in hot air ain't gonna make enough difference to be noticeable. Cold air intake on a turbo is not like a NA car. The turbo is attached to the exhaust, the air it compresses is gonna be hot no matter what temp it entered the turbo.
That's what I was wondering, because we have intercoolers.

hmmmm now im just kinda spitballing here but if it 75 degrees at the inlet and then lets say its 300 degrees at the turbo and in that short time it raise IAT to 100 degrees would the temp increase be different if say you were sucking in 32 degree air then thru a 300 degree turbo wouldn't it bring the peak temp down some to maybe like 70 degrees IAT? of course those are big variances (summer compared to winter) just thinking in my head here

I put the coldest air I can into my engine no matter N/A or force fed and where ever I can get it from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back