1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Plymouth Laser RS sluggish

Posted by Greg Peterson, Oct 19, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Greg Peterson

Greg Peterson Probationary Member

Joined Jul 18, 2019
    Madison, Wisconsin
    My plymouth laser rs wants to Jerk when getting on the throttle in first and second. Kinda almost feels like I'm starving for fuel.. revs fine until you put a load on it. Could it be fuel pump sh**ting out on me?

Street Build 145  3

1993 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  2. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    How is the idle? It could also be a vacuum leak or it could be a spark issue. Check all the plugs and spark wires and coil pack as well. That's what I would do at least. I'm having a similar issue with my 420a 2g. Just haven't gotten around to those problems yet to diagnose them.

Street Build 141  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    And you might be right with the fuel pump, depending on the mileage, it is a 20 something year old car. Anything could be going wrong with it really.

Street Build 141  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Greg Peterson

Greg Peterson Probationary Member

Joined Jul 18, 2019
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That's for sure. I could check my fuel pressure to I guess and see. It also has been taking a few extra cranks to start in the morning too.

Street Build 145  3

1993 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    609DSM likes this.
  5. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Also possible clogged fuel injectors. Definitely check everything, start checking things off haha

Street Build 141  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Dhan

Dhan Supporting Member

Joined Apr 29, 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    Agree with it possibly being a vacuum leak. Have you gone through your vacuum lines and verified the rubber intake hose is sealed up to the throttle body? Could spray soapy water on possible leak spots and look for bubbles while the engine is on.
    Or if you're a smoker, light up a cig and start exhaling smoke into a vacuum port. Then plug that vacuum port and see where smoke escapes from. Do that with the car off, obviously. And don't do this too often or you risk giving the car cancer LOL

Could also be the fuel filter is getting filled with gunk. When was the last time it was replaced?

2K  4

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM and 609DSM like this.