The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved 1G Plymouth Laser RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatchetninja101

Probationary Member
May 16, 2009
st-aubert, Quebec_Canada
So today I went to the local scrapyard with my friends and I found a Laser RS.The car is N/A and it's the RS model obv.I looked at the engine bay and the little sticker says it's a 4G63 so it's not the 1.8L base model.My question is will it fit my 91 TSi?I don't know about the year of the car that's why I'm wondering.The engine looks clean so I don't know why it got there since there is no damage to the body.I'm gessing the block is damaged since there's nothing wrong on the head.

Thanks in advance.

If its a 4G63 then it will definitely fit into your TSi, although you will have to do some changes to turbo it obviously. As far as the engine goes, the block could be perfectly fine, or there could be some major problem with it. There are thousands of reasons the car could have been decommissioned besides a hole through the block.

Nice to see some other Quebec DSMers on here :thumb:

If its a 4G63 then it will definitely fit into your TSi, although you will have to do some changes to turbo it obviously. As far as the engine goes, the block could be perfectly fine, or there could be some major problem with it. There are thousands of reasons the car could have been decommissioned besides a hole through the block.

Nice to see some other Quebec DSMers on here :thumb:

Definatly nice to talk to some Quebec guys. :)
I can get a manifold and a turbo pretty cheap from local tuners.I will obviously get a new piston/rod set anyway my main concern was about the fitting...Is there any code on the block/head to be sure it's a 4G63?Because sometimes the 1.8 base model lead me wrong...Thanks for your reply.

there should be no mistaking the 1.8 and a 4g63, they look completely different. does it say dohc 2000 on the valve cover?

I don't know about the year of the car that's why I'm wondering.
Look at the VIN...for the last two letters before the six digit numbers will be the year. "LE" is a '90, "ME" is a '91 for the 1GA line.

The "RS" models ususally were the 4G63 installed lines-for there was the RS N/T and the Turbo lines. Also, the VIN would either have the "R" or the "U" for motor designation.

there should be no mistaking the 1.8 and a 4g63, they look completely different. does it say dohc 2000 on the valve cover?

I'll have to check again because I can't remember.What if it's not wrote DOHC 2000?

And thanks DSM1G90

Don't you have a tsi? They should look identical with the absence of the turbo. Do you know where the turbo is located and how it looks like?

Also, the RS Turbo would have the stock boost gauge in the tachometer cluster for the 1Ga models. The 4G37 (SOHC 1.8L with the smaller cam sprocket cover and the sparkplug wires out on front of the motor's head since this wasn't a DOHC motor) would have the letter "T" in the VIN for the 1Ga units.

The engine is not identical compared to my TSi.The Laser we are talking about here is N/A and DOHC.I'm pretty sure it wasn't wrote DOHC 2000 on the valve cover but I can't 100% confirm.

Easiest way to tell the 1.8 from a 4g is the 1.8 are single cam, where the 4g is dual cam. Most of the engine tags are covered in grease, grime or oil.

Look at the valve cover, and just the valve cover. This guy's setup is highly modified, but it's still the 4g37. If it looks like this, it's the 1.8:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

(Photo by redline6k on "the other DSM forum")

But if the valve cover looks like this, it's the 4g63:

I'm talking about shape, not color, or lettering. And where the spark plugs are. One has them in front, the other has them on top.

Finally, here's a link to tell you which configuration the VIN was originally set up with. Whether what's on it now is original or not is something else entirely, but there's a good chance it is.

cool..a 4G37 that has been convert to a turbo (prob a Garrett t-25)....wonder how it does..? Heard that they max out around 175bhp or so ...

Not the best coding for the motor in this link above-a bit confusing since it didn't separate the generations too well (esp. the ? mark for the "B" which was the 1Gb, 4G37 motor):

(4G37) '90-'91 the letter "T" was the code letter. '92-'94 used the "B" letter.
(4G63) '90-'91 the letter "R" for the non-turbo. '92-94 used the "C" letter.
(4G63) '90-'91 the letter "U" for the turbo. '92-'94 used the "F" letter.

With the 2G

420A was the "Y" letter as the 4G37 was dropped.

Look at the valve cover, and just the valve cover. This guy's setup is highly modified, but it's still the 4g37. If it looks like this, it's the 1.8:

(Photo by redline6k on "the other DSM forum")

But if the valve cover looks like this, it's the 4g63:

I'm talking about shape, not color, or lettering. And where the spark plugs are. One has them in front, the other has them on top.

Finally, here's a link to tell you which configuration the VIN was originally set up with. Whether what's on it now is original or not is something else entirely, but there's a good chance it is.

Thanks alot for the help.I can confirm the difference between your first pic and the engine I'm trying to identify.I will check for the VIN and snap a pic because it's very odd to me.I have swapped a couple of 4G63 for friends or friend's friends but this one is confusing me alot TBH.

I just don't get it. If you already did a couple of swaps, how come you don't know the difference between the two motors? Telling the difference is as easy as 123.

just ls1 swap

Good plan. Just need a big shoehorn and some duct tape. :thumb:

But anyway, glad to help in identifying what you found, OP. I like how every Laser is badged as RS, be it turbo, 2.0 NA, or 1.8. The one you found will fit, but I don't know why you'd want it to. Unless you still wanted to drive your car around while you worked on the 4G63. :D

@DSM1G90 - Here's the build thread for the 1.8 turbo; it's 4 pages long, so I didn't bother looking for any output numbers. The turbo is a T3 50 trim, though.

I just don't get it. If you already did a couple of swaps, how come you don't know the difference between the two motors? Telling the difference is as easy as 123.

They were all identical.I obviously ''don't get it'' too hence why I'm posting here...I know there should be no mistaking but I always try to be 200% sure.By the way getting confirmation from knowledgable people and asking help is free. :)

So you're telling us that even though you already saw the car you still don't know what motor it has? And that's coming from someone who already did a couple of swaps.

So you're telling us that even though you already saw the car you still don't know what motor it has? And that's coming from someone who already did a couple of swaps.

Please read the post right above yours and get back to me.I am in no way trying to be rude but I am a 4G63 owner this is my second DSM.If you think I am trolling you then ignore my post.The car COULD have been swapped once in it's lifetime I'm just trying to be sure.The engine is DOHC but it doesn't look like this one at all.

Definitely get a picture and the VIN. I'm really curious what someone has stuck in this car... last guess is a 420a, swapped for the 4g63 some time after it hit the yard.

now why the hell would you wanna swap a 420a in a 1g that just sound like a wiring mess. that being said now i can see why it was sent to the junkyard LOL

Definitely get a picture and the VIN. I'm really curious what someone has stuck in this car... last guess is a 420a, swapped for the 4g63 some time after it hit the yard.

I will of course I'm going there this afternoon if it happens to be a 4G63 then sorry for this mess...I was tjust trying to be sure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back