The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Pics of MSnS and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gen

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate, South_Carolina
I have had some problems with spiking at idle with my msns lately so I double checked the VR circuit and guess what, it was using OPTO instead of VR. So I did some board mods and started using the VR circuit. Well I let it idle and idle and idle and never got a spike so on my way home I did some logging and when I came to a stop sign I'll be damned if it didn't spike. So it only spikes at idle after a load WTF? So I was thinking about turning up the threshold a little more on the pent. on the bottom of the board (R56 maybe? cant remember off top of head) or maybe its just an old CKPS (its got over 150k on it) or adding some more grounds. Its already got a shielded coax tapped to the CKPS. Oh yeah, I just have msns is "monitor" mode now with everything but injectors and coil hooked up. What do you think? Well pics wouldn't upload but I will try later tonight.

Here are some pics, I will try going through both the VR and OPTO tomorrow, I didn't have my laptop with me today at work so I couldnt try it out.:sosad: I really need to take some new pics of the car, alot has changed since the last ones I uploaded.:dsm:

Attachments

• MSnS install 1.jpg
    MSnS install 1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 658
  • MSnS install 2.jpg
    MSnS install 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 656
  • CLT Snsr Install.jpg
    CLT Snsr Install.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 655
  • IAT Snsr Install.jpg
    IAT Snsr Install.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 669
  • MSnS screen shot.jpg
    MSnS screen shot.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 654
Nicely done, sir. Clean install.

Thanks alot driggs, I got it started today and got a good idle but my Microsoft note lisence expired so I have nothing to change my ini files for autotune. Hopefully next weekend I will have time to do a good tune.:thumb: I will keep everyone updated! About the spikes, I just bumped my idle rpm up a little and ran everything but the iat and clt grounds to the battery. I then tuned the pot(r56 i think) untill rpm got eratic and then backed it off a little bit. I was only getting spikes when the idle rpm would fall, ie bright lights brakes lights and fan/defrost turned on. Well my idle is now set at about 950 so it doesn't drop low enough to cause a spike.

Just an update but I got it running on it last night good and decided to make the leap and solder the connections. I had some problems with it this morning driving it to work but on the way home I did some logs and loaded them into MSLV and used the adjusted VE tables calculated from the AFR table and boom, I have an OK tune. I did a little more after I got home and now have a pretty good tune but still needs some minor adjustments. Soon to come Spark OMG :rocks: To be continued...

Few small questions, first where did you get that groovy display? is that part of the MSnS?

Second, its just a stupid question prob... but the MSnS is a Stand Alone right... so that means the entire OEM ECU goes bye bye right?

I want MegaSquirt, but I'm still being a wimp about it and scared of getting too over my head!

The display is not apart of MS, I think it might be part of his wideband, but I'm not sure.

The MS can be run full standalone, or it can in conjunction with the stock ecu....I don't want to call it a piggy back, because you infact discconect the harness from the ecu and use MS's instead, but leave the ecu there to run basic functions such as fan control, and idle....while MS can run the injectors, and spark, etc.

There is a sticky on 2gnt.com in the engine management section about everything you need to run MS completely WITHOUT the stock ecu

The little display in the first pic is for his Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband.

And the last pic is the display that comes up on your laptop with MSnS. I always thought that was kinda cool :p

MSnS can be piggyback or standalone. I actually set mine up so that they can be switched back to stock in about 10 minutes. I use it as a piggyback and keep all the stock sensors and wires in place.

If you are concerned that you can't figure it out when you power her up, then you can switch back to stock if you want. You can run in fuel and spark, just fuel, or just monitor on your laptop.

MB

Yep! I got in this morningn and had some problems starting and found out the MSnS reset on me last night. I had to reload the firmware and then it started right up. :|

So... you guys... wire the MS into the stock harness, just so you can unhook the MS and hook the stock ECU back up just for safety? Sounds interesting. See I would wanna run it as a full stand alone, but like you say, have the stock harness still in place to plug the stock ecu back in at any moment...

If you wanted to just be able to unplug the msns and plug in the factor ecu to the injector harness you would need the stock injectors in it. The ecu cant handle big injectors. If you didn't mind chaning the injectors then you could just change the injectors and then plug the factory ecu back in.

Well I got some tuning done and I thought I would post this just to get you guys opinions on it and so some people would have a map in the future for a BASE just to get it roughly started on stock injectors. NOBODY should just plug the values in and expect it to run good because every car is different and I still have some stuff to tune. Let me know what you guys think though. Mods on the engine are 8.8 compression wisecos .020, eagle rods, +1mm PEP oversized stainless valves, pt rockers and lifters, crower titainium retainers, crower springs, crane 12 cams, fidanza cam sprockets(no adjustment, zero'd out), 3 angle vale job, mild port, aem v2 intake, ebay 4-1 header downpipe, OEM cat(I know :rolleyes: ), tsudo 2.5" catback and I think thats all that would affect it. It seems to just quit pulling at 5g. When the stock ecu was in control it would get pig rich but now I tuned it to be a little rich and it still just doesnt pull. If it doesnt fix it when I go spark I may have a problem.

(I cant get the image small enough but still be readable so just visit HERE to see the maps.)

Just an update, not where I want to be but doing ok, remember to download and change .doc to .msq if you want to look at my .msq Its not really good as said but it starts in the morning and night and doesnt run too rich or too lean. Give me some feedback on it and tell me what you think. I have been having some problems with it bucking at very light throttle I think because of a noisy tps signal because the pulse widths drop to zero and it bucks, then picks back up. I also have problems with fluctuating afr but in the rpms I normally drive its not too bad.

Attachments

• MSFILEFOR2GNT.doc
    35 KB · Views: 331
Just an update, not where I want to be but doing ok, remember to download and change .doc to .msq if you want to look at my .msq Its not really good as said but it starts in the morning and night and doesnt run too rich or too lean. Give me some feedback on it and tell me what you think. I have been having some problems with it bucking at very light throttle I think because of a noisy tps signal because the pulse widths drop to zero and it bucks, then picks back up. I also have problems with fluctuating afr but in the rpms I normally drive its not too bad.

Well consider yourself lucky, mine idles like crap right now, and misses during idle...and idles at like 1200-1500 (I could care less), it drives great though.

Oh and cold start, man oh man, my car is pig rich at idle and just doesn't want to stay on.

Your not boosted right slo2gen? Cause I can't look at your msq file until i get on my laptop.

Yeah, I am still NA with the factory fpr. I have a fpr but I have to get the lines to put it on. I want to get the turbo on but I have been focusing on my 1g. Only reason I went ahead and put msns on is to get better gas mileage, I was only getting around 270 to a tank now I am getting 350 to a tank!

I have an msq that idles pretty good but at 1500rpm I unplugged my IAC sensor so I believe its stuck open. Cold starts seems to work sofar. Just remember this is for E-85.

Attachments

• 11-03-07E85.doc
    35.3 KB · Views: 272
Yeah, I am still NA with the factory fpr. I have a fpr but I have to get the lines to put it on. I want to get the turbo on but I have been focusing on my 1g. Only reason I went ahead and put msns on is to get better gas mileage, I was only getting around 270 to a tank now I am getting 350 to a tank!

350 a tank...man on oh man what I woudlnt' give for that the way gas prices are up now adays.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back