The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Oily smoke out exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjd6795

Proven Member
May 14, 2014
Wilsonville, Oregon
So my gsx has felt sluggish since getting it but seemed stout. It's a 2.3l stroker so figured the 14b that's on it was a little weak for it, I changed out my stock manifold and intake to FP and that didnt make any noticable changed. Other then my idle being a little higher then before. However during the intake swap I notice the turbo had in and out play. I did a hard 2nd to 3rd 15psi pull and at the end letting off the gas a ton of oily smoke just made a wall behind me. I'm assuming it is the turbo that's burning the oil and the fact the car doesn't seem quick as it should. Any other guesses or ideas that I can try?

or pcv valve. try changing it out and see if that fixes the problem, if not then turbo and worst case scenario piston rings.

or pcv valve. try changing it out and see if that fixes the problem, if not then turbo and worst case scenario piston rings.
I don't have the PCV setup. Mine is blocked off and only have a catch can setup on my intake/valve cover. turbo unsure on the mileage it's a 2g with 14B so unknown mileage on turbo.

I don't have the PCV setup. Mine is blocked off and only have a catch can setup on my intake/valve cover. turbo unsure on the mileage it's a 2g with 14B so unknown mileage on turbo.

You shouldn't run a pcv blocked off it could be over pressurizing lots of stuff. If anything run a straight fitting like I do with a good size line routing and vent filter or baffled recirculated. I prefer vented but that's just my opinion!

You shouldn't run a pcv blocked off it could be over pressurizing lots of stuff. If anything run a straight fitting like I do with a good size line routing and vent filter or baffled recirculated. I prefer vented but that's just my opinion!
I'll have to double check for sure tomorrow. I think it's been removed but I could be wrong. previously the intake/valve cover was not connected so I got a catch can in there now.

Is it only burning oil when letting off the gas, under vacuum, or during the pull as well?

With axial play I don't doubt the seals are maxed out and pushing oil into the exhaust, but it also sounds like it could be valve seals or even weak rings.
I'd recommend doing a leakdown and compression test, as well as getting a proper PCV system to help relieve crank case pressure effectively.

Got ya, yeah I would definitely check cause you might run into some issues if it's not relieving crank case pressures enough. Does the dip stick ever pop loose? That's cool but if its recirculated and non baffled it probably isnt doing that much. One reason I switched to vented and since I'm heavily modified.

Is it only burning oil when letting off the gas, under vacuum, or during the pull as well?

With axial play I don't doubt the seals are maxed out and pushing oil into the exhaust, but it also sounds like it could be valve seals or even weak rings.
I'd recommend doing a leakdown and compression test, as well as getting a proper PCV system to help relieve crank case pressure effectively.
From what I noticed it was, I couldn't see anything behind me during acceleration. Then letting off the gas it just left a 20 foot wall of smoke then cleared up after like 10 seconds.

Got ya, yeah I would definitely check cause you might run into some issues if it's not relieving crank case pressures enough. Does the dip stick ever pop loose? That's cool but if its recirculated and non baffled it probably isnt doing that much. One reason I switched to vented and since I'm heavily modified.
The dipstick never has popped out or even shown signs of it moving.

From what you've stated, I'm gonna say the turbo is toast. Oil is pushing past the seals, then once exhaust pressure reduces when off throttle, it floods the exhaust and burns off. Just my 02¢

From what you've stated, I'm gonna say the turbo is toast. Oil is pushing past the seals, then once exhaust pressure reduces when off throttle, it floods the exhaust and burns off. Just my 02¢
And even though my boost holds for the most part during the pull would blown turbo basically make my car feel like a NA? Because its. 2.3l stroker built by English racing and tuned at 15psi, 3" turbo back exhaust, short route fmic, fp intake, fp exhaust manifold. And it's slow as turtle shit.

It very well could, but a 2.3 with a 14b isn't going to be what I'd call "fast" @15psi. I run my 14b @18-20psi with a rough tune and a very efficient intercooler setup, and it's a quick car, but the 14b is out of breath by 5800-6000 rpm.

Add in the fact that the turbo has play and is probably affecting it's capabilities, I'm not surprised it feels slow.

It very well could, but a 2.3 with a 14b isn't going to be what I'd call "fast" @15psi. I run my 14b @18-20psi with a rough tune and a very efficient intercooler setup, and it's a quick car, but the 14b is out of breath by 5800-6000 rpm.

Add in the fact that the turbo has play and is probably affecting it's capabilities, I'm not surprised it feels slow.
True but compared to my old 91gst I was running open 3" downpipe, smic hard piping, 3" gm maf, tuned with safc and that was a quick little car way faster then what I have now and less mods.

But yeah I may just get a cheap rebuild kit and rebuild my 14b and awe if that makes it better. If not I got bigger problems.

Turbo situation set aside, I recall another member having the EXACT same issue. His set up was all in working order and the more knowledgable gentlemen said it's because he wasn't running a catch can in his setup.

My $.02 would be to get the turbo situation figured out, then see if that was the only cause and look into catch cans.

I remember the member saying it was blowby and the pcv wasn't up to snuff and a catch can was needed in order to reduce the oil circulating into the combustion process.

Again, I'm not expert but this is what I remember seeing them discuss. Was maybe a month or two ago? Maybe longer idk the timeframe

Turbo situation set aside, I recall another member having the EXACT same issue. His set up was all in working order and the more knowledgable gentlemen said it's because he wasn't running a catch can in his setup.

My $.02 would be to get the turbo situation figured out, then see if that was the only cause and look into catch cans.

I remember the member saying it was blowby and the pcv wasn't up to snuff and a catch can was needed in order to reduce the oil circulating into the combustion process.

Again, I'm not expert but this is what I remember seeing them discuss. Was maybe a month or two ago? Maybe longer idk the timeframe
I do have a catch can. When I got the car the valve cover hose was just hanging freely in the engine bay and there was an open nipple on the intake pipe. I installed a catch can between the two to solve that. Tomorrow I'll check on my PCV valve to make sure that it is still there.

I do have a catch can. When I got the car the valve cover hose was just hanging freely in the engine bay and there was an open nipple on the intake pipe. I installed a catch can between the two to solve that. Tomorrow I'll check on my PCV valve to make sure that it is still there.
Solid, sounds like y'all are on the right track in my opinion, saw this post and figured I would pitch in. Keep us updated if you get it solved!

The dipstick never has popped out or even shown signs of it moving.

Then you should be ok but I'd still make sure it has a fitting in place of the pcv if it was me. I'm leaning towards the turbo I've seen journal bearings go with what seemed not that much shaft play. If you pull the turbo check it with the oil out of it.

Its the turbo, not that there might not be other issues though. I would be leary of driving it with a failing turbo, you could be putting metal shavings in your oil from the failing turbo center housing support structure, also you could damage your turbo wheels and housing, causing metal to end up in your intake and intercooler doing even more damage.

Its the turbo, not that there might not be other issues though. I would be leary of driving it with a failing turbo, you could be putting metal shavings in your oil from the failing turbo center housing support structure, also you could damage your turbo wheels and housing, causing metal to end up in your intake and intercooler doing even more damage.
I know I dont want to drive it, but I dont have any other choice. I ordered a rebuild kit from kinugawa I hope they dont take a long time to ship. I'll just stay out of boost in the meantime.

Now that it is day time I decided to get a better look at my turbo inlet because I swapped back to the stock intake for now. My intake tube is clean, I have a catch can so the oil isn't going in there but my inlet on the turbo has a ton of oil. 100% confirmed that it is the turbo now LOL.

Attachments

• 20200314_125021.jpg
    20200314_125021.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 88
You don't have a line going to the turbo inlet to the valve cover correct? If this is the case, yes oil is pushing past the seals. What's your oil pressure situation out of curiosity?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back