The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil pump replacement? engine is still in car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadlyAKrunna47

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2009
Seattle, Washington
One of my 95 auto gsx oil pump gave out on me today. So I want to make sure i can chang out the oil pump without pulling the engine?

I own 4 2g gsx's, i have done timing belts on these cars 20 times. I have rebuilt a 7 bolt from bare block. I cant believe idk the answer. somone who has done it please reply.

It can be done in or out of the car, it will be a bit more challenging in the car i saw a thread on this where others were doing it with the engine in the car.

One of my 95 auto gsx oil pump gave out on me today. So I want to make sure i can chang out the oil pump without pulling the engine?

I own 4 2g gsx's, i have done timing belts on these cars 20 times. I have rebuilt a 7 bolt from bare block. I cant believe idk the answer. somone who has done it please reply.

Whats wrong with pulling the engine? It can be done in a few hours and makes pulling the front case and redoing the timing belt much easier. You could service the oil pump with the engine in the car but I ask why. If the car has no balance shafts then maybe I would consider it. With balance shafts installed in makes removing and installing a big pain in the ass with the engine still in the car.

It can be done, but wont be fun at all... You have to drop the tcase, exhaust, have to remove the axle on the driverside, unbolt the turbo drain line, take off the alternator...Just so you can remove the oilpan! It will be a bi*** if the balance shafts are still in there, cause you have to pull the oilpump straight out about a foot, to clear the shafts... Then the other pain in the ass things to do, is to clean all the old gaskets/ rtv from the the oilpan and pump area on the block!

I have to say, its way easier to just pull the motor, so you get everything cleaned up, and sealed good.

You can disconnect the balance shafts from the oil pump while it is still attached to the engine, which can make the job of pulling the pump itself much less of a hassle.

The front is a no-brainer: unbolt the sprocket, remove the spacer, and you're free. For the rear, remove the castle plug which provides access to the bolt holding the oil pump pinion gear to the rear balance shaft, place a screwdriver in the balance shaft check hole on the firewall side of the block with the oil pump gear "in phase" (with the oil pan off, you should be able to see this easily, ensuring that your screwdriver is "locking up" the rear shaft), and remove the bolt holding the shaft to the oil pump pinion gear. Slide the oil pump away from the block a couple inches and there you have it.

I'd much rather do that than pull the engine. To each their own.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back