The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil pump alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
Just wondering but I see that the oil pump has to be aligned when putting back together. Um, what exactly is being aligned when the bolt holes only allow it to be put back together in one direction as it is? Thanks!

Y'all, I'm talking about the transmission oil pump. Not the engine. Lol.

Okay, so what needs to be aligned exactly? I'm still not sure in that area.

I used 2 extra long bolts of the same thread for my front pump. It is easy to line up all of the holes correctly, just match the gasket to both pcs. I used the longer bolts to "align" the pump so it went in square (so it would slide on those 2 bolts) and didn't tear the outside oring, then I removed the long alignment bolts and put the pump bolts in and torqued to spec.

Is this done just so that the two halves are aligned properly and the pump can be installed? I mean I'm just wondering because it looks pretty squared up on the sides without the need for all that. Otherwise, what am I missing?

I only did front clutch packs and I didn't have to open up my pump so I can't help on that part.

Opened everything in mine to inspect and make sure all was good.

The reason I could think of is to ensure the Check Ball that is sandwiched between the reaction shaft support and oil pump housing is properly aligned. Another reason is for the ease of installing the oil pump into the transmission housing.

I tried using the “eye balling” method without success. It might look like they are perfectly aligned but it can be deceiving. Use the double up worm clamps if you don’t have access to the Alignment Band tool (MD998335).

You don’t want to hammer the pump into the housing. Hence, proper alignment is a must to avoid potential damage during reassembly.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers!

I'll have to see how it works as is, and if it doesn't want to slide in there, guess I'll have to get some clamps or find a clamp like the transmission guys use because I have a feeling this won't be the first time I use it.

Just an update but I just simply bolted it up and it went right in without any issues at all, with a brand new o-ring as well. But I mean if some people need this tool to line it up I guess, do whatcha have to do. I had zero issues at all. Even took it back out to correct an install error I made inside the transmission and put it back in again. Still without issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back