The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil leak...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96WhiteTSi

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Ok so I have this leak SOMEWHERE on or around the head area and it all seems to collect around the exhaust ports... and leaks down the timing cover off the OFH area... at first i thought it was the OFH but.... its not that after cleaning it up....

took the manifold off and saw...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

AND

and

If you notice... its also collecting on the ledge between cyl 1 and 2...

Im thinking valve cover gasket... but its not showing signs of leakage... also I thought cam seal... but that wouldn't explain the oil around the exhaust ports...

I have read that the exhaust studs can seep... is this true?? something I should look into... How do you fix something like this?

Last edited:
The best idea to find the cause would be to get yourself some engine oil black light tracer dye. Depending on how long it takes it to make a noticeable leak, run/drive it for a little while, then you will be able to follow the trace from the source.
Most parts stores have the dye and a fairly inexpensive black light pen.
I use this method all the time with customer vehicles, save the expense of just replacing gasket after gasket until it stops. It isn't even neccesary to get the area totally clean because the dye with glow under a black light.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back