1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Oil leak...

Posted by 96WhiteTSi, Nov 16, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. 96WhiteTSi

96WhiteTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Reno, Nevada
    Ok so I have this leak SOMEWHERE on or around the head area and it all seems to collect around the exhaust ports... and leaks down the timing cover off the OFH area... at first i thought it was the OFH but.... its not that after cleaning it up....

took the manifold off and saw...

2011-11-16093024.jpg

AND

2011-11-16093036.jpg

and

2011-11-16093102.jpg

If you notice... its also collecting on the ledge between cyl 1 and 2...

Im thinking valve cover gasket... but its not showing signs of leakage... also I thought cam seal... but that wouldn't explain the oil around the exhaust ports...

I have read that the exhaust studs can seep... is this true?? something I should look into... How do you fix something like this?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

647  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. Infamous33

Infamous33 Proven Member

Joined May 30, 2011
    Chicopee, Massachusetts
    The best idea to find the cause would be to get yourself some engine oil black light tracer dye. Depending on how long it takes it to make a noticeable leak, run/drive it for a little while, then you will be able to follow the trace from the source.
    Most parts stores have the dye and a fairly inexpensive black light pen.
    I use this method all the time with customer vehicles, save the expense of just replacing gasket after gasket until it stops. It isn't even neccesary to get the area totally clean because the dye with glow under a black light.

3. 96WhiteTSi

96WhiteTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Reno, Nevada
    Yeah.. I had thought about that.. But i was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue in the same area of the car..

647  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM