The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil filter is crushed and won't come off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobtuber

Proven Member
Mar 25, 2013
Richmond, California
So my motor was out of the car and on a dolly made of 2x4s and I guess the oil filter was partly helping the 420a motor from standing on the dolly.. The motor is in the car now. Half of the bottom of it is pushed in and the sucker won't screw off. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thank you.

Cut the rubber seal off and then try. Once you get those off there is usually almost nothing keeping it from coming off.

Strap or chain wrench works wonders as well to free up stuck spin-on filters. I use a leather strap wrench to spin off my filters.

I've done the screwdriver trick and if the filter is really stuck on, you'll just tear up the outer casing of the filter and then 'good luck' finding something to grab that twisted up sheet metal.

In my opinion; the best way to remove a stuck oil filter would be to just use oil filter pliers. grab it about 1/4 inch away from the base and get a good grip. The pliers themselves crush the filter but just enough to get a good hold of it.

In my opinion; the best way to remove a stuck oil filter would be to just use oil filter pliers. grab it about 1/4 inch away from the base and get a good grip. The pliers themselves crush the filter but just enough to get a good hold of it.

This. Oil filter pliers. They're like $10 for a shitty one at autozone, but it will get the job done. Can't stand band wrenches or even filter cups anymore. Just a good oil filter pliers.

Prob with that big guy cranking down on a filter is he prob squished the gasket on the filter pretty bad where you really needed that pipe wrench to bust that thing loose.

Dangerous places to do oil changes. I pity the poor souls that go there for service work.

I always say if you need a new engine, get your oil changed at Walmart. They're notorious for leaving drain plugs out.

Haha That's pretty good.

Anyways thanks gents, I'll try some of your ideas when I get home today and let you know how it goes. I've change oil filters dozens and dozens of times but since this one is pretty damn crush and VERY stubborn I just wanted to consult others who've had similar issues before going to extreme lengths to take it off, just so I don't hurt the housing or something.

Thanks again.

If you use a screwdriver,just be sure to push it all ths way though the filter,so that the screwdriver comes out the other side,then turn the filter. Oherwise you will just tear the filter apart,then you will be trying to get the filter out with jagged edges all over that will tear your hands up. If that hapoens,just get a strap or chain,get a pivot point and crank on it. Once you get the filter off makr sure the rubber ring from the old filter is off too before you put on the new filter. Chances are that the filter was overly tightened and the ring will be chillin on the ofh,and if so it will leak like a mofo when you put the new filter on.

This. Oil filter pliers. They're like $10 for a shitty one at autozone, but it will get the job done. Can't stand band wrenches or even filter cups anymore. Just a good oil filter pliers.

totally agree I don't use anything but the oil filter pliers they have teeth that dig into the filter and it will come off there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back