The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil catch can [Merge]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rice Burner

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2002
Katy, Texas
I just ordered my intake and K & N filter from Dejon and now I'm looking for a Catch Can. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I have looked on some web sites with no luck, with the exception of (i think) Machv for $99.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know if any one sells the rubber window trim that goes on the door for the window. You know the one at the top of the main part of the door on the outside. The black coating has pealed off and looks pretty bad.

Thanks in advance! :D

I use the Fram G2 (or similar) fuel filter as a catch can and it seems to work just fine. I change it every oil change or if it looks a little bad. At 2 or 3 dollars a pop, it's much cheaper than a shiny catch can, but if you're going for looks, I guess maybe the price of a brand name is worth it. I'll just stick with my little filter.

I did the fuel filter idea first, and it did a good job, but i decided to buy one of those catch cans off ebay ( the ralliart badged one :shhh: ) , and it LOOKS a hell of allot better than the fuel filter....and it was like 35-40 dollars shipped....but either way you do it , its does keep most of the oil out of your intake... :dsm: :talon: :laser:

1LE said:
A real catch can does work better. I have the above setup, and I still get a significant amount of oil that manages to make it's way back to the intake.
Sounds like your motor's pretty much bazootied. It shouldn't be blowing out that much.

Defiant said:
Sounds like your motor's pretty much bazootied. It shouldn't be blowing out that much.

It spends a very large portion of it's life at full boost between auto-x, rally-x, and track days, so I expect more. Just not sure how much one should expect. Can't be too horrible as I can spend up to 4 hours of actual track time and only go down half a quart (that's probably in the 200 mile range at full boost). A good deal of that lost is lost during cooldown anyways (crank angle sensor leaks when the car is cooling off).

I did a search on ebay on "catch can" and these things are offered for about 5-10 $ with 20 $ shipping... even some real HKS ones are offered but these are 50 $ + shipping...

What I was wondering : What is in these cans anyway ? Is there a filter inside or is there nothing inside and the oil just collects at the bottom of it ?

Pezking said:
I did a search on ebay on "catch can" and these things are offered for about 5-10 $ with 20 $ shipping... even some real HKS ones are offered but these are 50 $ + shipping...

What I was wondering : What is in these cans anyway ? Is there a filter inside or is there nothing inside and the oil just collects at the bottom of it ?
those "hks" ones are bullcrap....HKS does not make an oil catch tank. I asked about one of them on ebay to see if they are genuine HKS or not...the guy did not even reply. im goin with greddy.

Pezking said:

good question. I don't think there is a filter inside, otherwise they would sell replacements for it.

I have what is basically an ebay catch can/oil separater (got it from Logic Performance, but there is no brand name). I was using a fuel filter and it worked pretty well, but I also wanted to eliminate the PCV. I put a straight fitting on the valve cover and t'ed into the line coming off the side of the valve cover so that they both went back to the intake tube. The only problem was that the filter filled up real quick (within a couple hours of driving it looked like it had been there for months), so I put the PCV back in. I bought the catchcan, removed the PCV, t'ed both lines to the inlet of the catchcan, and then routed the hose from the catchcan to the intake tube.

1LE said:
It spends a very large portion of it's life at full boost between auto-x, rally-x, and track days, so I expect more. Just not sure how much one should expect. Can't be too horrible as I can spend up to 4 hours of actual track time and only go down half a quart (that's probably in the 200 mile range at full boost). A good deal of that lost is lost during cooldown anyways (crank angle sensor leaks when the car is cooling off).
Ah, more of the story surfaces. We had no intimation that the thread starter's car is so heavily used, and unless specified otherwise my answers generally apply to moderately-pushed street cars. Yes, more boost is usually more blowby.

Catch cans generally use volume and some baffling to trap oil, and to get the vapor to cool down and drop out.

you don't NEED it but it does help keep your engine a bit cleaner. i run it openly. so does everybody else i know.

Defiant said:
Ah, more of the story surfaces. We had no intimation that the thread starter's car is so heavily used, and unless specified otherwise my answers generally apply to moderately-pushed street cars. Yes, more boost is usually more blowby.

Catch cans generally use volume and some baffling to trap oil, and to get the vapor to cool down and drop out.

I can't speak for the thread starter, just mine :)

I'm so used to just hanging around people that do lots of racing that I forget what it's like for cars that don't see the track that much. I'll try to keep in mind before I reply to posts that most people here don't race much.

I got a greddy catch can and need to figure out the best spot to install it at. I am thinking about relocating the battery and installing the can somewhere over there. However i wanna see what others have done. please submit pics of engine bay if u can. car is eclipse 98 gst

Hi,
What I did was move the battery into my trunk and then used that space for the catch can. I do not have a picture but that is a good place for it.

Are you talking about that specific catch can, or just a catch can in genereal?

You can make your own out of a fuel filter from any auto parts store for like $4, but it won't look as good as the one you posted.

yeah, i bought the one from RRE a couple years ago thinking that there was a ton of oil that needed to be "caught" the most that ever comes out is a few drops even after months of not draining it

any 5/16's clear fuel filter works well without any modification to the intake just like in that link.

I have that same one, except in chrome. But like everybody else said, it's not really needed. I got it because it's cheap and it looks kinda cool in the engine bay. Kind of a splurge for me. :) But you could definately find a much cheaper route.

It matched my color scheme and it was free ROFL

52443Coke_catch_can-med.jpg

My mason Jar catch can a long time ago. (not a 4g63 btw, props to anyone who can identify the engine :) )

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Haha, Glad to see I was never the only one to use something ridiculous that I found....

Yeah, They're two bounty or whatever, Dryer fabric liquid cap's... And it's flourescent pink...:sosad:

Attachments

• my old enginebay.jpg
    my old enginebay.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 608
1stGenRocks said:
sweet

whats up with the headlights in your sig? are they painted or something?

Nope, no paint. Go look in my gallery. I took out the covers and wired in some fog lights for blinkers as well as adding some small fogs up in the grille. It gave me a cold air intake setup. Plus I added a CAI Box you'll see in the gallery.

Tweaking is fun :D (No not the drug you addicts.)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back