The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

oil catch can [Merge]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rice Burner

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2002
Katy, Texas
I just ordered my intake and K & N filter from Dejon and now I'm looking for a Catch Can. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I have looked on some web sites with no luck, with the exception of (i think) Machv for $99.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know if any one sells the rubber window trim that goes on the door for the window. You know the one at the top of the main part of the door on the outside. The black coating has pealed off and looks pretty bad.

Thanks in advance! :D

Make your own or for 80 you can get the greddy catch can from RRE but it is a little big.

Later,

Ok what is RRE stand for?? I like the coke can idea...I may have to do that on a temp basis, but will be looking to have a nicer setup later on.

Thanks again!!

Thanks again for the information. I'll probably check out RRE later, but for now I'll probably head to walmart for a "Mitsu Racing" setup!

Does this help at all I know its suppose to stop oil from getting in to your ic but when I looked at the line coming from the valve cover it went to the intake pipe of the turbo so isn’t the oil going into the turbo and if it is, does the turbo need it or does it harm it in anyway? Thanks -Kenny

here is a pic
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The oil can gunk up the turbo just like the IC. The turbo is under (generally) constant motion though so it slingshots the oil down the pipe and it coagulates in the IC. I have the GReddy version and I must say I'm unhappy with it. Haven't talked to anyone else about the other variants, but the GReddy doesn't work well in my car.

How can it not work?? I made my own, and it works great. Isnt the pint to just not really have the oil soread in the piping? If it idnt going into your piping than what could be the problem???

you don't want oil in your intake, in your turbo, and utimately in your intercooler, piping and TB -- this makes the intake system inefficient especially if its all gunked up in the IC. i didn't believe it until i replaced my upper IC pipe and cleaned my IC. nasty oil everywhere. and this is apparently normal. i have since made my own catch can out of a fuel filter and good old 5/16" fuel line. i can see the black oil at the bottom of the catch can, and it stays out of my intake. :)

oh yeah and to answer your question.. yes that should work but its no longer going to be emissions legal because the oily air coming out of the valve cover will now be in the atmosphere instead of routed back to the intake. plus i bet that piece costs about $50. i spent less than $5 on the filter, and fuel line. there's a vfaq somewhere that a guy spent about $3 on a filter and it came with clamps, some fuel line, and a see thru filter. there ARE cheaper alternatives and as long as it routes back to the intake you should be good as far as emissions goes...

Yeah, I did the $3 version. It's a Fram G3 fuel filter, and yes, it does come with its own little piece of hose and two clamps. All you do is pull off the breather hose from the side of the head, clamp it to the filter, and clamp the supplied hose back to the nipple on the head and to the other side of the filter. Works good, but it's still not 100%-- a little oil still gets through.

Or you can buy one for 10.00 to 20.00 bucks at a Tractor Supply store, or prop aircraft parts store. They call it a Gasalator..same basic construction and has the same priciples.

or at home depot with everything else... you can also get the tubing and valve for the bottom... mine costs 11$ from the depot

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back