The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

oil catch can [Merge]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rice Burner

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2002
Katy, Texas
I just ordered my intake and K & N filter from Dejon and now I'm looking for a Catch Can. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I have looked on some web sites with no luck, with the exception of (i think) Machv for $99.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know if any one sells the rubber window trim that goes on the door for the window. You know the one at the top of the main part of the door on the outside. The black coating has pealed off and looks pretty bad.

Thanks in advance! :D

Yep. same sludge.. I have both vents on the valve cover routed to the catchcan and the pcv removed. I just open the petcock every few days, and about once a month, I pull the catchcan and give it a really good cleaning.

No cross-contamination here, and no sign of fluid loss on either side..

I called RRE about this a few years ago, and we came up with the same condensation theory.

Well with all of these good responses and 1st-hand experiences, I'm hoping this thread will be of great value to those who have yet to perform this mod and experience the same "W-T-F is THAT?!" moment as we all have :D

tsunari said:
Well with all of these good responses and 1st-hand experiences, I'm hoping this thread will be of great value to those who have yet to perform this mod and experience the same "W-T-F is THAT?!" moment as we all have :D

the only thing that really worries me is the fact that I always thought that only vapors and fine mist goes through that little thing. but only after 1,000 miles, I already have a good amount in my catch can. kind of makes me wonder if everything is alright. seems like a lot of people get a good amount of oil and crap in their catch cans.

marcmsj said:
the only thing that really worries me is the fact that I always thought that only vapors and fine mist goes through that little thing. but only after 1,000 miles, I already have a good amount in my catch can. kind of makes me wonder if everything is alright. seems like a lot of people get a good amount of oil and crap in their catch cans.
This is normal. Hot engine gasses going into a cold catch can will devolp condensation. Every engine will have this in the winter months but in the summer you will only see a little oil in there. I freeked out too when I first saw this and my builder told me it was from not getting the oil hot enough and the temperature differances.

marcmsj said:

Yeah, I actually get very little oil in the CC . . . lately it's been mostly water, but am curious to see how the summer months turn out

drivemusicnow said:
I would suggest that you run a line from the valve cover to the catchcan, and then run a line from the catch can to the exhaust.

How would you do this? Tap somewhere into the exahuast? Would you have a suggested loaction? That would be a realy long hose to reach back to the exhaust since my can is mounted right in front of the battery.

I just installed a Greddy catch can in which RRE told me just to vent the catch can to atmoshpere. So I ran the second hose straight down towards the ground and zip tied into place. Should I be worried about this setup because of vacume issues?

dr_fatkins said:
You should not have a catch can vent to the atmosphere. People will disagree, but this allows un-metered air into the system.

How would it affect the metered air? I pulgged the hole in the intake where the origional hose ran to. Are saying air seeps in through the hose, through the catch can and then back into the valve cover?

Not trying to argue, just trying to learn.

:thumb:

This is all some great information i was wondering how would the catch can issue work if you are using a metal intake pipe and you have no where to route back to after you connect a hose from the valve cover to the catch can i was going to get a RRE catch can from SLOWBOYRACING but i wanted to know how would the instalation work with my setup the only reason i want to get a catch can is becuase im leaking oil from the breather i have on the side of the valve cover

Xplicit93AWD said:
i was wondering how would the catch can issue work if you are using a metal intake pipe and you have no where to route back to after you connect a hose from the valve cover to the catch can i

You could drill and tap into your intake pipe and fit a nipple on it to recirculate. Just tap into it somewhere between the filter and the turbo, maybe a little closer to the filter but I don't think it makes a difference exactly where.

p.s. using periods makes it a little easier to read.

Ok well thanks for the response but do i really need to tap into the intake or can i just run that one line from valve cover to teh catch can and call it a day.It might seem like im taking the short way but , if dont want to do nothing i dont really have to.

Actually since your's is a RRE catch can, it has a filter instead of a return line back to the intake. So you are done. The other fitting on your catch can is to run to your PCV valve, which you dont need to mess with. So just keep a cap on the other fitting.

Mine is the GREDDY catch can so it has an inlet and an outlet, to recirculate back to the intake. I have the outlet line venting to atmosphere, just to make sure no oil finds its way back to the intake.

I guess since they make ones with filters that don't recirculate it doesn't matter if mine does or not.

Alright perfect now i understand the catch can issue thank you for your help and thank you "TURBO" for posting this i hope it helped as much as it helped me.

madman said:
Actually since your's is a RRE catch can, it has a filter instead of a return line back to the intake. So you are done. The other fitting on your catch can is to run to your PCV valve, which you dont need to mess with. So just keep a cap on the other fitting.

Mine is the GREDDY catch can so it has an inlet and an outlet, to recirculate back to the intake. I have the outlet line venting to atmosphere, just to make sure no oil finds its way back to the intake.

I guess since they make ones with filters that don't recirculate it doesn't matter if mine does or not.

Recirculate?

The RRE catchcan also has an inlet and an outlet. It also has a filter on top. This being said, if it is hooked up to the valve cover and the intake, it would be pulling in unmetered air. Please correct me if I'm wrong... I'm confused because this thread is saying a couple different things.

When I say recirculate, I'm talking about the hose running from the valve cover to the intake pipe (turbo boot, as some call it). You can hook it up from valve cover ---> catch can ----> intake pipe, which I call recirculate, maybe that's not the proper term but that's what I call it. Or you can cap the intake pipe nipple and vent the catch can, "atmosphere".

RRE web site even states that they have two inlets on their catch can. 1. to left side of valve cover, 2. to PCV valve. They also say to cap you intake boot with the cap from the catch can. Their catch can does not "recirculate".

They also state that some people just put a filter right onto the valve cover, replacing the hose altogether. They went a little step further to add a catch can to the filter so as not to get so much oil all over the engine compartment.

Maybe you can run a hose for the second inlet to the intake, but that is not what it was designed for.

I think the confusion comes from the different type of catch cans.

Like I asked above...... how do you figure getting unmetered air into the system?

I will help clarify this the best I can.

1. If you're venting to the atmosphere then both fittings on the valve cover should be vented to the atmosphere with the pcv replaced with a straight fitting and both fittings on intake pipe and manifold capped. If you only have the breather vented, pcv, when open under vacuum, will pull in unmertered/unfiltered air into the intake manifold from the VTA catch can.

2. If you decide to put a oil catch can in between the valve cover and the intake pipe like the original poster is doing, the external filter on the catch can must be removed and capped so you don't pull in unmetered/unfiltered air through the filter.

3. The best crankcase ventilation is through the stock locations, if you're concerned about oil in the intake tract, install a INTERNAL catch can like the original poster, just make sure you don't vent and recirculate at the same time. Both of mine vents to the atmosphere right now but I plan to reroute both back to stock locations each with it's own catch can. The pcv side catch can will be tapped with the pcv valve attached to the can.

I hope I made it clear.

That was very clear, but contradicts what RRE states, and it's their own product.

oldman said:
2. If you decide to put a oil catch can in between the valve cover and the intake pipe like the original poster is doing, the external filter on the catch can must be removed and capped so you don't pull in unmetered/unfiltered air through the filter.

So if someone like Xplicit93AWD who does not route the can back to the intake, then caps off the filter, causes that to be a closed system......that's bad isn't it.

So then if they recirculate back to the intake with the filter capped, that contradicts RRE

The other confusion comes because RRE says you can vent either one or both(PCV / intake side).....you say both or none at all......who is right or what differnce does it make?

If you vent both, does that not also allow unmetered air back in?

oldman said:
Both of mine vents to the atmosphere right now but I plan to reroute both back to stock locations each with it's own catch can.

Would there be any issues using only one catch can to both locations, using Y connections?

Valve cover------>................................. ----------->intake pipe
.......................... -------> catch can------>
PCV -------------->................................. ----------->intake manifold

madman said:
Would there be any issues using only one catch can to both locations, using Y connections?

Valve cover------>................................. ----------->intake pipe
.......................... -------> catch can------>
PCV -------------->................................. ----------->intake manifold
VTA : You can do this if the pcv was replaced with a straight fitting but I would still run separate hoses to separate fittings on the catch can.

Recirculate : I think this is what you were refering to. You can't do this for a couple of reasons.

1. On the pcv side, the catch can must in between the pcv and valve cover, not between the pcv and the intake manifold, I don't even want to think about what happens to the can and oil under 20psi.

2. Under vacuum, pcv will end up drawing air partially straight from the intake pipe through the catch can, this defeats pcv valve's original purpose of ventilating the crankcase.

I have thought about this while back, using two separate cans is the best I came up with.

Sorry I think I had my diagram wrong ... instead of PCV to intake mani...... I meant PCV to valve cover.

But I think your right, 2 would be a lot better.

I don't know if you noticed but I edited my last post, regarding some info from you.

Valve cover------> catch can------> ----------->intake pipe

Valve cover------> catch can------> pcv------->intake manifold

Re-read my previous post and think about it before replying, I know it can be confusing. So to do this correctly, you need to replace the pcv with a fitting on the VC, weld a 1/8 npt bung to the catch can, install the pcv on the can then connect the pcv the intake manifold. Or just deal with blow by in the manifold, which doesn't affect the efficiency of your IC and just deal with one can going from breather to intake pipe.

madman said:
So if someone like Xplicit93AWD who does not route the can back to the intake, then caps off the filter, causes that to be a closed system......that's bad isn't it.
Yes, because you lose the ability to relief crankcase pressure when under boost.

So then if they recirculate back to the intake with the filter capped, that contradicts RRE
I'm quite sure what you mean here but if you recirculate and leave the filter on to VTA, your turbo will be pulling in unmetered air through the can. Kinda like the guy who suggested making a little hole on the BOV return tube so it's louder and recirculated at the same time. ROFL

The other confusion comes because RRE says you can vent either one or both(PCV / intake side).....you say both or none at all......who is right or what differnce does it make?
Technically they are wrong if you get down to it but realistically the difference is probably insignificant to majority, it's basically a vacuum leak if you will and can probably be compensated via tuning to some extend. But in the higher level of tuning, this will be somewhat more sigificant as pointed out earlier with dsmlink.

If you vent both, does that not also allow unmetered air back in?
No, because you will no longer be connected to the intake manifold.

So what's wrong with VTA as long as you cap off the intake pipe?

Does the air suck back into the valve cover through the catch can? or is it a vaccum thing?

Anyone know where I can get a good catch can that is not very expensive, which is the best type or does it matter -thanks-

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back