1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Oil Bubbles after Holset install.

Posted by 96WhiteTSi, Dec 13, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. 96WhiteTSi

96WhiteTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Reno, Nevada
    I finished installing my HX40 today and started up my car to test pressure going to turbo from OFH noticed my oil drain has a LARGE leak in it leaving a puddle on the groud with... AIR BUBBLES!!!! i turned the car off and pulled dip stick.. bubbles in pan as well...

Before all this i had a garrett 50 trim on a janky manifold and different oil drain....and never seen bubbles....

I swaped oil pans..installed fp manifold.. hx40.. map housing.. and new feed line from OFH

the feed line is the kit you can buy from extreme psi (4an I believe with 1/4" npt)

Installed the oil pressure gauge between oil feed line and that 1/4" npt that comes with the kit..

car still has balance shafts .. cold start(as in sitting for over a month COLD) I was seeing 30psi oil pressure on 20w50 VR1 oil..

also put in new radiator and swaped to speed density ( these should have nothing to do with it... but putting out information of everything i did)

I thought maybe the turbo isnt getting enough oil and its causing the bubbles in the turbo itself ...

Any ideas or help with this matter ... PLEASE!!!!

647  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Never heard of such a thing.

Oil pumps can essentially cause cavitation- especially until the oil reaches operating temps. That's all I've got. LOL

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

5K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. romeen

romeen DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 12, 2006
    Vancouver, Washington
    Do you think you might have over filled it with oil? Out of curiosity, is the new oil pan that you installed oem or aftermarket?

4. 96WhiteTSi

96WhiteTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Reno, Nevada
    Hrm... I was counting on you to know all the answers!!!!

OEM pan with the right amount of oil...

647  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan
    The oil going through the turbo is going to be aerated to some degree.

6. 96WhiteTSi

96WhiteTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Reno, Nevada
    Thats what I thought as well Morphius but why with my old set up (50 trim) it didnt do that and now it does.. makes me go.. hmmmmmm

647  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. Morphius

Morphius DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 9, 2003
    M-Town, Michigan

How would you know, as the old setup wasn't leaking, right? Some amount of aeration is expected in your engine oil.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  8. 96WhiteTSi

96WhiteTSi Proven Member

Joined Mar 6, 2009
    Reno, Nevada

I do check my oil frequently.. never with old set up did i notice bubbles on the dip stick like i do now... maybe i am looking to far into it??

647  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    If you were having aeration issues, the pressure on the oil pressure gauge would bounce. Try doing a high g left hand turn at high rpms, and you'll see.

Street Build 4K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM