The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

holset oil drain line kink

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shay4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2011
miami, Florida
Well i ordered a 12an drain line kit from ziggy.. welded my pan up nice and everything. I just for some reason have a stupid kink in my line.. the fitting off the turbo is a straight down pitch. I'm thinking if it was a 45 it wouldn't kink?

What are your thoughts?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

A 45° fitting would be much better for this problem. If you check out the Holset oiling thread it shows what most people have done.

If you can locate a hose barb fitting in the size of the drain thread it would help out by giving you some more length to work with.

I had the same problem. My fitting were swivels though. I just shortened up the hose a bit and tweaked the bottom one to the side a little to keep the hose taught. Also is that coolant hose it looks like stick tube. Oil hose might work better.

See if you can find a piece of copper or whatever type of metal tube that's got a bend in it. Cut the blue tube and put the end in the middle. I would probably rther buy the angled fitting but the cheapest and easiest way it what first popped in my head.

Best thing to do is get the 45 degree angle barb fitting. You could get 2 45* swivel fittings. This way there will be a much less of an angle turn for the oil and it will flow better. There is always the option that red1993 posted. You can do this with copper pipes and elbows. I personally would go and went with 16an fittings and hydraulic hose.

got a 45* fitting and slammed it in the middle of the hose!.. THANKS all

I battled this same problem when I did my rebuild. The 45* fittings would work great if they where a little shorter. I have attached 3 pictures. You will notice in the first picture that it looks like they line up great, but if you look closer you will notice the CHRA is clocked so that the drain hole is at an undesirable angle.:nono:
The second and third pictures are with the CHRA clocked so that the drain is positioned straight down but you will notice that there is no way to fit any piece of hose on the fittings.

I have heard of people using 45* barb fittings and cutting one of the barbs off. This allows for the clearance needed but you would still have to make them line up better than my second picture of course. Every setup will be different but thought I would share my experience to help you figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1438-1.jpg
    IMG_1438-1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1446-1.jpg
    IMG_1446-1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_1447-1.jpg
    IMG_1447-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 216
I battled this same problem when I did my rebuild. The 45* fittings would work great if they where a little shorter. I have attached 3 pictures. You will notice in the first picture that it looks like they line up great, but if you look closer you will notice the CHRA is clocked so that the drain hole is at an undesirable angle.:nono:
The second and third pictures are with the CHRA clocked so that the drain is positioned straight down but you will notice that there is no way to fit any piece of hose on the fittings.

I have heard of people using 45* barb fittings and cutting one of the barbs off. This allows for the clearance needed but you would still have to make them line up better than my second picture of course. Every setup will be different but thought I would share my experience to help you figure it out.

What did you end up doing im having the same issue?

Ya'll realize this thread is 9 months old right LOL if that kink aint fixed by now the turbo's surely smoking like kansas city BBQ at this point LOL

Bastarddsm,

Building something is a good idea if you have a welder and some skill. The only drawback to your setup is the 90 degree turn. The ideal setup would include less radical fittings like 2 45. Other than that, nice work and love the enginuity:)

Dsm2nv,

Here is a link to my temporary solution. A more permanent solution is being worked on at the moment.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/427853-1990-eagle-talon-sleeper.html

Bastarddsm,

Building something is a good idea if you have a welder and some skill. The only drawback to your setup is the 90 degree turn. The ideal setup would include less radical fittings like 2 45. Other than that, nice work and love the enginuity:)

Dsm2nv,

Here is a link to my temporary solution. A more permanent solution is being worked on at the moment.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/427853-1990-eagle-talon-sleeper.html

I think i might of figured it out if i add a straight Npt out of the turbo it will give me room to use a hose and the An fitting at the bottom.

Ordered one of these

and it should come out something like this

Let us know how it works out. I tried a straight fitting off the CHRA and the hose was kinking once installed. I hope that you have figured something out so I do not have to think so hard. :thumb: Thanks for sharing the idea and keep us posted.

Robert

Let us know how it works out. I tried a straight fitting off the CHRA and the hose was kinking once installed. I hope that you have figured something out so I do not have to think so hard. :thumb: Thanks for sharing the idea and keep us posted.

Robert

I will post the results sometime tomorrow once the fitting arrives. But so far its looking good.

Bastarddsm,

Maybe you didn't see the massiveness of the drain. Its -12, and is damn near 19mm all the way thru.

The problem with the billet fittings and using AN stuff, is that the billet fitting and adaptor isn't big enough, and the usually only will take a -10. Then the AN fittings are soo bulky (long) it makes it hard to plumb it well with out getting a kink.

Thats why I did mine the way it is. Super short fittings so that the hose has a long length for a smooth bend radius. Also, my turbo is super close to the block, so I needed the 90.

Looks pretty good to me. The only thing that I have a question about is, how much is the CHRA clocked. It looks as though the drain hole is not facing straight down???

Robert

You can't clock just the compressor housing to compensate for the IC pipping???

I do not know if the angle is extreme enough to cause an issue, it was just something that I noticed. Maybe someone with some more experience and or "proof" can jump in here and shed a brighter light on the subject. If no one does, I am guessing that it is not that extreme but if you start pushing oil you should remember this. Also know that the drain is gravity fed (not under pressure) so this would of course cause some type of flow/backup issue.

Robert

There is no way to take the bend out of the line i tried running it with 2 45 an fittings and they hit eachother. The drain is a smooth bend down to the pan but not sure if the chra clocking can cause any issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back