The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

OEM Timing Belt or aftermarket? [Merged 7-8] belts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moidsm1

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2002
Tucson_AZ
does anyone know if the Contitech timing belt is any good or is it crap?

Anyone ever heard of continental timing belt ? I am getting a timing belt kit from SBR and saw the invoice said continental, i was left puzzled...
Is it a good brand ?

I ordered a timing belt kit from SBR and wanted to know if anyone has heard of the brand continental ?
I am getting continental timing and balance belts and want to be sure how good are their products.

I have a conti belt on my car right now. No problems. They are a good brand and a lot of shops use them.

Thanks guys. You think they'll last just as long as the oem belts ? And be ok up to 350 hp ?

I agree with user 22 on the OEM or Gates for anything above stock mods for sure, I havent had good luck with the conti T-belts over stock horse power. My 2 cents.

Lol @ redturbo, always pickin on me haha. I'll have to fix this then, i want oem...

Just stripped my timing belt teeth after about 3 years of it being on there. It was a continental belt. I just upgrade my tune and boost to a around 300HP about a month prior to this happing. and im not sure if this has any reason to why my belt stripped the teeth around the crank sprocket. Im replacing the belt now with a OEM belt.

Contitech makes the OEM belts for Mitsu and a slew of other manufacturers. A LOT of timing belt failures have to do with improper installation/tension setting rather than being a "non-oem" belt. :banghead:

I agree, Continental is the manufacutrer for the OE Mitsu belt. I just orderd one from Altrom (more often than not OE parts in Altrom boxes or OE boxes with Altrom part numbers.) Looks like a quality belt. If you can swing it, definitely go wth the Gates Racing Belt, as it will handle whatever you can toss at it.

If BMW, Benz, VW and a host of other European vehicles runs Contitech (and we know how well built those vehicles are that are built 'across the pond'), can't see why not for us people here in the States can't run them as well.

I put a Contitech in a 4G37, 7 yrs ago and still running great !

-DSM

I ordered a timing belt kit from SBR and wanted to know if anyone has heard of the brand continental ?
I am getting continental timing and balance belts and want to be sure how good are their products.

contenetal=conictech
conictech belts are OEM provider for european cars I had that timing belt before on my car I had no Issues,I personally prefer Gates or OEM mitsu :thumb:

Well, I honestly don't know where to put this at, but anyways I recently ordered a genuine mitsu oem timing belt from a well respected vendor. It had discoloration lines all through the belt, look like weak spots in plastic. I sent it back and recieved another mitsu oem belt. It had the same darn lines, weak spots. I quickly called the vendor and he said several had sent theirs back, maybe they just recieved a bad batch. So I went to a different vendor and ordered a Topline belt. The quality looks good other than it has pitting in the belt. I'm sending this belt back. Does it seem like I'm being to picky? I love my DSM and only want the best for her. I always ordered oem and never had any problems until as of late. The best looking belt I ever had was a belt made from someone in Italy, I don't recall the name. I honestly don't know what if anything I'm trying to acomplish with this thread, just wanted to vent a little. Any recomendations is appreciated. No I'm not ordering a kevlar belt, I have seen one of those skip timing for some reason. The thread was on here and I also read that someone had trouble with it because lack of stretch, unlike the oem that stretchs a little; it was on an evo forum. It was to tight or something putting stress on the oil pump, crank, and cams.

Honestly I'd just look for another vendor for an OEM belt. I ordered mine through extreme psi or stm, I can't remember which at this second. I do most of my business with these two companies. I would have done the same thing you did except my timing belt was flawless when i got it. I wouldn't trust even the smallest imperfection on something as important as the timing belt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back