1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

no radio, no dome lights

Posted by Joelo, Jan 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Joelo

Joelo Probationary Member

Joined Jun 19, 2020
    Naperville, Illinois
    Hey all, I've swapped my 90 head unit into my 92 gsx. When I was looking at the interior fuse box (below dash) there was a metal clip that I think was in the radio fuse slot connecting it to something else. Like a fool i tossed this out thinking that it was a jumper for something else. Now I'm thinking that maybe I needed it? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Please help if you know why that clip might have been there. All fuses are continuity tested but I have no power to radio or dome lights. I need the radio to drown out the sound of my grinding transmission.

Street Build 192  2

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Check the fuses again all of them , sounds like a ground issue if dome isnt working either they are tied in, to the room fuse, and the radio. Ive been there i finally found a ground issue.

8K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Joelo likes this.
  3. Joelo

Joined Jun 19, 2020
    Naperville, Illinois
    Hm i wonder if the clip was there to connect grounds. Thanks for the suggestion I'll go through the grounds and check em for continuity.

Street Build 192  2

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    I think that the main power for the interiors fuse is blown. The radio will have ONE wire that is hot at all times and the dome light is also hot at all times. When you open a door, you ground the circuit, and the light comes on. Your stereo will have a switched 12v and a constant 12v source.
    I wonder if someone just jumpered the fuse for the interior instead of replacing the fuse. Can you take a picture and post it of the fuse box and where the "suspect" metal part was at?

Street Build 5K  31

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  15

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

989  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  15  26

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  5. Joelo

Joined Jun 19, 2020
    Naperville, Illinois
    Are you talking about the "room" fuse? I think that one is fine because the only things that aren't working are the radio and domes. I'll get you a picture in a bit if you want, I'm almost positive the metal piece was in the radio fuse socket. The socket is very loose and I had to bend the tabs on the fuse to make it fit snug.

Street Build 192  2

awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Make sure the dome light bulb isn't blown. If the other lights on the dome light assembly work, it's getting power. My radio would cut in and out randomly. The metal tab (the one that holds the fuse) in my fuse box was broken. If you're bending the fuse, I'd bet it'll cut out when you hit bumps.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/kick-panel-fuse-box-removal.517406/

566  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

613  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
    C-note89ky likes this.