The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G no oil presure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbiter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2008
Irun, Europe
Hi,

Well after having left my dsm for 4 years in the garage as it leaked a lot and was deployed abroad.
Now back home I tried to ressurect it.

Removed oil pan and oil sump filter. Cleaned and new rtv on oil pan.
Fuel pump dead. New 255lph drop in.
Fuse blow by new pump, new fuse and rewired the pump throught a relay.
No start. Pressure ok on fuel rail now-> Clogged injectors. Cleaned them at home.
It start now but no oil presure. Red light on instruments, and aftermarket oil pressure gauge says zero.

Where should I look at?

Electric. After a 5 seconds run, cam on oil cap was to dry to be lubbed....
I think about the oil trumpet to be sucking air beacause of no replacement of paper gasket?

Did you pack the oil pump after your tear down? This helps prime the oil system on initial start ups... something to consider, if your oil pressure gauge checks out ok. If anything, remove the timing belt & spin up the oil pump drive pulley with a large cordless drill, before trying to start it again

Ok so you are talking about the oil pick up. Gotcha. I have just never heard it called that before. I would again check the wiring and the sensor first and what not. How did you seal the oil pick up? With the old gasket or did you use RTV?

I did reused old gasket.

Sensor wiring of original hasn't been modified or unplugged.

I am not very sure honestly to have spotted where that 14 MM bolt is to spin the pump. Are you talking about removing the chain that connects the pump to the crankshaft?

I did reused old gasket.

Sensor wiring of original hasn't been modified or unplugged.

I am not very sure honestly to have spotted where that 14 MM bolt is to spin the pump. Are you talking about removing the chain that connects the pump to the crankshaft?
As stated above yes. Remove the belt. Yes this means you have to redo the belt job. There isnt a bolt. You spin the sprocket itself with the nut on the end. Do not use an impact driver. Use a drill.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

still no oil... Turning it clockwise.

I'm going to remove oil filter to see if perhaps it's the cause as I installed one with internal valve

I have been unable to remove oil filter today. However I punched the shell and turned oil pump. No flow at all even after that.

What should I do?
Are you sure you have the pickup installed correctly? I had car that sat 5 plus years fire right up

I think the same too... but it's weird.
My pickup is the original type, wich is supported by a secondary arm to the block, apart from beeing suported by the two screws to the pump.

I have the replacement gasket for the pickup, but I will have to remove again the oil pan. If replacing the gasket and double checking the oil pickup doesn't solve anything, wich one should be my next move?

Just an idea but it's possible that the few hydraulic lifters that you can see when you open the oil cap are clogged so they wont squirt any oil onto the cams. Try to take off the valve cover (replace that gasket as well, it's probably toast after 4 years). But when you have the valve cover off, run the pump again with the drill and see if any other lifters squirt oil.

Also I can't see very well from the pic but it seems you have the balance shafts removed? If so, are you sure they have been plugged up correctly? If not, all your high pressure oil from the oil pump will be draining right back into the oil pan, so much so that very little oil if any will get to the head. Just throwing thoughts out there worth checking.

If you take out one of the Allen head plugs on the oil filter housing and put a 3/8" BSPT (if I recall correctly....) barb there, you can use a hand pump and a hose to pump the oil through manually to prime it. After a few pumps you should hear oil bubbling/squirting through the lifters in the head.

Hey I had the same issue like you did and tried all the methods mentioned above with no luck. What worked for me is I pressurized the cranck case through the needle on the valve cover with around 12 psi and cracked the engine over few time. Had oil pressure in a matter of seconds and it worked great. Hope this works for you as well it’s easy and not as sloppy and time consuming as the other method. Good luck.

If you take out one of the Allen head plugs on the oil filter housing and put a 3/8" BSPT (if I recall correctly....) barb there, you can use a hand pump and a hose to pump the oil through manually to prime it. After a few pumps you should hear oil bubbling/squirting through the lifters in the head.
Can someone confirm thread?

I have solved the problem today.
After buying a cheap 3/8 bspt adapter, I have removed one of the allen bolts in front.

Here you can see the electric oil pump (12v) hooked to the adapter.

After a long run, the oil has started to exit throught the head.
I removed then the adapter, pulled back the allen bolt in, and turned the pump with the drill. Now it does lube, and very well!!!

Thank you all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back