The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

No boost, lean, and smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohlegend

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2012
Pemberville, Ohio
I think I know what is going on with the car but I would like some more inputs.
I just got everything put back in the car, and tuned idle to around 14.7
When I start the car cold, I get some smoke coming from the exhaust, It lasts for a minute or two, then stops.
I took it for the first drive yesterday: It would not build boost, it was very lean, and smoked on acceleration.
When I was driving there was a low howl instead of the regular turbo spool up.

I was thinking bad turbo seals - I bought a used E316G and bolted it up.
I will also be checking for a boost leak - though hg at idle is around 18.
Also possibly bad valve seals?

Ok today I did the BLT, and found a big leak at the inter cooler connecting and throttle body, small leaks from another IC pipe connection, injector seal @ #1, and the bov. I am in the process of fixing these, but the one that worries me the most is the leak at the bov. It is not leaking from around the mating surface, its leaking through the recirc tube. The bov is a newer (100 miles) NGR type s.

Edit: I fixed all of the leaks on the IC pipes and throttle body, and I will be doing the injector seals either Thurs or Fri

Last edited:
Ok today I did the BLT, and found a big leak at the inter cooler connecting and throttle body, small leaks from another IC pipe connection, injector seal @ #1, and the bov. I am in the process of fixing these, but the one that worries me the most is the leak at the bov. It is not leaking from around the mating surface, its leaking through the recirc tube. The bov is a newer (100 miles) NGR type s.

Edit: I fixed all of the leaks on the IC pipes and throttle body, and I will be doing the injector seals either Thurs or Fri

Ngr had a bad batch of BOVs that used the wrong o ring causing it to stay slighty open, thus, resulting in a leak during a blt. I had that problem, and they emailed me and explain what happen. If you go to home depot you can get a ten pack of o-rings for 3 dollars or so. Here is an email they sent me.

"Oh yes we had a defect in one batch with the o-rings, we just found out from another customer as well. It is an easy fix. The valve on the bottom does not seal due to the o-ring, which was incorrect size. The correct size is #18, we had a bad batch on those o-rings. You can either buy it at home depot and we will reimburse 10 dollars or you can ship it back to us and we can do it for you. Whatever is easier for you! We do apologize for that inconvenience! Let me know what you would like to do, thanks!"

I now have 0 boost leaks, I had to retune, due to having tuned it with so many boost leaks. I was dumping tons of fuel into the cylinders to keep up with the extra air I was getting from the leaks. The smoke could have been just gas. I am going to test drive this weekend and see how it goes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back