1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G New EGR Valve install

Posted by Mr Ortiz, Feb 22, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Mr Ortiz

Mr Ortiz Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2019
    Hustontown, Pennsylvania
    Hey guys I got a brand new egr valve and want to put it on and I’m not too sure about it because the cashier said it is a bolt on part but the metal gasket is what makes me unsure. Take a look at the picture I added and you’ll see. It has a good gasket for the smaller port. But a metal one for the larger port. It’s crucial I instal it soon. Please let me know if anything or of advice thank yah!

Attached Files:

Land Speed Build 206  3

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  2. Mr Ortiz

Mr Ortiz Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2019
    Hustontown, Pennsylvania
    Second picture of metal gasket. Isn’t there something else that should go on there to create a better seal?

Attached Files:

Land Speed Build 206  3

automatic · 2G DSM
  3. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    That gasket is the one that goes between the tubing and the intake manifold, not the one that goes between the head and the valve. You can use a small amount of rtv to seal that one up. Just be sure not to overtighten it, as that intake manifold is a little soft and you will strip those bolts. Here's the one that goes between the head and the valve:

https://m.autozone.com/emission-con...o-egr-valve-gasket-70720/225605_351328_0?aqs=

Road Race Build 3K  25

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

41  3

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire 150R
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

53  6

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire (325 swapped)
    Mr Ortiz likes this.
  4. Mr Ortiz

Mr Ortiz Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2019
    Hustontown, Pennsylvania
    Thanks man. I got it on successfully. The pipe from the egr to the intake manifold never got hot enough to melt any wires. But it did after the new egr valve. It melted one wire out of three to the IAC (idle air control) it ran like crap sounded like misfiring it smoked white a lot and had a rough idle. I cut out the burnt portion and crimped it back together and it ran fine but now I got a engine light on again and it’s using a lot of gas. The following codes it has right is
    -P0123 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit High Input
    -P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)
    -P0551 Power Steering Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance.
    All of this started happening right after I installed the egr valve and that wire burnt and I crimped it.

Land Speed Build 206  3

automatic · 2G DSM
  5. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    Didn't I tell you last year to delete that EGR? :p

On a serious note, I hope you figure it out. How did you route the vacuum hose? You might have the egr open all the time, which would cause it to heat up too much.

Road Race Build 3K  25

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

41  3

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire 150R

53  6

2008 Tomberlin Crossfire (325 swapped)
  6. Mr Ortiz

Mr Ortiz Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2019
    Hustontown, Pennsylvania
    I don’t really wanna delete the egr. The vacuum hose goes from the egr solenoid to the intake manifold. I have no idea what to do with it man, my mechanic told me to get a power steering pressure sensor for the power steering code. But as far as the other two codes I have no clue.

Land Speed Build 206  3

automatic · 2G DSM