The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New dynos on t3/t04b 50trim bullseye for roadracing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazthug

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2003
livermore, California
Well I will be doing some track days coming up here so I took the car to the dyno again and did some tuning for safe, low boost maps to keep the car safe and strong on the track

I did tuning at 10psi and 14psi

Ended up with 238whp at 10psi and 281whp at 14psi, I was very happy with the results

This was on 91 octane, with meth injection as well as the comp 100 cams straight up.

a/f was in the low 11's and timing was trimmed until I got absolutely no knock showing up on the dsmlink at all

:thumb:

CanadianTSi said:
Whats the point of doing all these mods and then running hardly any boost?

Exactly, the 50 trim isn't even in its peak efficiancy level at those boost numbers. Especially with meth injection I would be running way more boost than that. You need to add boost, add timming, add a bit of fuel and your good to go.

Bump it up to 18 at least. You have the fuel mods so get it done. BTW those numbers are very nice for those low boost levels. Imagine a 22 psi pull.... :rocks:

You could have made those numbers on your stock turbo, and fuel system.

Congratulations on wasting a whole lot of money.

way to overlook it.

considering his mods, perhaps this is just a baseline tune of some sort and he's planning to turn up the boost to make some serious power with more boost later

I don't think any of you truly understand the strains that are put on a motor during road racing.

What hes doing is an extremely conservative tune. Gets the intake temps WAY down, which then lowers combustions temps. He also probably has a very wide powerband because i HIGHLY doubt hes looking at peak power numbers.

He could probably push it a little more, however I'd say he may depending on the logs and results he gets after his first couple HPDE/opentrack days.

Nice job man, and I'm just happy to see DSMer/roadracer :thumb:

road racing in a FWD.. nice

I don't understand why anyone would get a 50 trim to road race though, spool sucks down low and I definitely liked my e316G a lot more for low end pulls..

Would anyone actually road race with meth injection and pump gas? Sounds like a great way to blow up - even with a conservative tune - if there's a failure on the meth (empty tank/sloshing around, burnt out pump,...)

Steve93Talon said:
Would anyone actually road race with meth injection and pump gas? Sounds like a great way to blow up - even with a conservative tune - if there's a failure on the meth (empty tank/sloshing around, burnt out pump,...)

First, Greg Collier just kicked ass in a FWD car... sooo you're point is?

Second, what happens if your fuel pump dies/ of if your gas sloshes around?
The only reason the meth is there is to make even cooler combustion temps. I bet he could complete disconnect it and then would only have a few counts of knock. Yes you slightly lean out the fuel curve when adding meth, however not by much. I plan on using water injection on my car depending on heat and other circumstances.

When I'm tuning my car, I'll do it with pump gas. Then you add some race fuel in at the track for even more protection.

How is spool up on this turbo? I been thinkign about it for my car, either this turbo or evo3 16g. Im afraid of it being to laggy, but seems to have nice top end and beign fwd thats good. My deal is drag racing/roll ons/ just fun car to drive. No road racing but still interested in everybodys opinion on this turbo.

I'm not speaking from personal experience because i've never driven a 50trim DSM on a road course.

However, To my knowledge, in road racing you're not really looking at the same type of spool characteristics as a drag car. And no, I don't mean when buying a turbo, but when comparing them.

For instance transient response is supremely important when road racing. This is something no one ever talks about. The actual TIME, not rpm it takes to get into boost is another extremely important "tid bit" of information when comparing turbos.

The 50trim versus evo16g is all a matter of supporting mods.

drivemusicnow said:
I'm not speaking from personal experience because i've never driven a 50trim DSM on a road course.

However, To my knowledge, in road racing you're not really looking at the same type of spool characteristics as a drag car. And no, I don't mean when buying a turbo, but when comparing them.

For instance transient response is supremely important when road racing. This is something no one ever talks about. The actual TIME, not rpm it takes to get into boost is another extremely important "tid bit" of information when comparing turbos.

The 50trim versus evo16g is all a matter of supporting mods.

hence my question of why choose a 50trim variant over the smaller mitsu turbos. I'd love to know the answer as to why (no sarcasm)?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back