The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Neks Upgrade w/pics :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nek

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hi all, Ive owned my my 96 Tsi Awd for about 8 months now and Im finally starting my upgrade.
Heres what were looking at
Mech Boost Gauge
14b Turbo
Ported 2g Tb
1g Bov
vr speed Fmic
Hallman BC
Tokico Coilover kit
Fuel Pump Rewire
Oil feed relocation to head
Anyways. On Nov 14th I started by tearing off my front bumper. I found this thread to be very helpful. I followed it pic for pic and the only problem I had was that my foglights held my bumper on. A quick unscrewing of the top two screws in each and a slow breaking and drilling of the bottom two screws of each handled the problem and my bumper was free.
From there I went ahead and started taking apart my stock smic and all the ic piping from the Tb to the turbo.
Now heres where I came across my first problem. I found a small amount of oil in the ic piping. Now after reading a little bit on it, its a normal thing to have a small amount in the pipes so Im not to worried. It is also said here that installing a catchcan can help prevent this problem. What do you guys think? Also, I have a good amount of oil residue on the lower engine. I think this could be the head gasket is in need of replacing but not sure.
Another issue that I hope to be resolving is white smoke out of my exhaust. It usually doesnt occur untill my car warms up. During cruise, my car doesnt smoke ( not noticeably anyways could be due to continuous cruising) but when I stop to idle, it seems a build up of smoke builds in my exhaust and when I begin to accelerate, the smoke comes out in an embarrassing white puff. Also, when I was stuck in 2 hour traffic (constantly blowing smoke when ever I inched up 2 feet) after I was free from the cluster and I moved up to 70mph, I could see my exhaust constantly smoking which lets me to believe its all building up somewhere in my engine and until giving it gas slowly releases it.
Anyways, here is the pics from first day.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also, in the next pic, what Is this black box for? What does it do? It was the ic pipe directly after the sidemount going to the turbo.

The blowing of white smoke (after warmup) is definitely indicative of a leaky head gasket. I would do a compression check ASAP before you end up getting water in your oil, which is really bad for the engine bearings.

Well, Im back at it again. Since last post, Ive put in my brand new throttlebody, the old one had some buildup but nothing to serious. The switch out wasnt that challenging it just took a while. Another thing is that the tb sensor that monitors how much the tb opens may not have been put back in the exact same place due to slotted screw holes so if problems comes during cruise it may be a problem.

After the Tb was all taken care of I went in and tackled the old t25. I ended up taking off the exhaust manifold and pulling the 02housing, t25 up instead of letting it drop. I also never disconnected the 02 sensor I just made sure I was careful which may or may not have been a good idea.
When removing the exhaust manifold, I found what probably is causing my white smoke. I found a ton of oil leaking threw the manifold gasket (head to manifold) which dripped into the manifold and once the car heated up to cruising temp, the manifold heated up, burned the oil, and bam, white smoke. Im not saying this is the only cause but it defiantly contributes.

The process so far was pretty straight forward. I found these two write ups pretty helpful.
1g 14b
2g 14b

So, Im at the point of putting the 14b back, feeding oil from the head with a feed line from Boneheadperformance.I plugged the oil filter housing with a 3/8ths bsp from ebay user dm_stainless.
1. Here are a few questions. Do you guys think that me cleaning the exhaust manifold and making the bolts tighter will stop the oil from seeping through and causing the white smokes?

2. Is this the line I need to tap for my boost gauge?(The line my finger is pulling up on)

3. For manual boost controllers. One side of the mbc should be connected to the waste gate actuator nipple and the other needs to be connected to the jpipe (the 14b doesnt come with a nipple on the housing). A) I dont need the old line that was connected to the T fitting since Im putting on a mbc correct? B) Is putting a nipple on the jpipe as simple as this? ( I took the nipple out of the t25 just by unscrewing it and Id like use it for the jpipe)

Now onto the FMIC install. What goes on with the metal line (I think its the ac line) going across the entire fmic location. Can I get rid of it with out loosing ac?. Also, what goes on with the cooling system on the opposite side of the smic? (Driverside, I believe thats the tranny cooler not sure though. It still has its air vent on it).

Thanks guys, Ill keep you all updated.

Let me be absolutely clear on this, there is no way oil is leaking INTO your manifold from the valve cover while the cars running...

A. Your manifold to head seal would have to be so ridiculously wide you would not build boost

B. At almost all times the manifold is under some kind of pressure, meaning if there WERE a leak, it'd blow the oil away from the manifold

C. It's so ####ing hot it'd burn off immediately anyways.

Now, if you DID have a terrible seal yes it could dribble into the manifold after shutting off the car. BUT as soon as the exhaust builds any heat (which is rather fast) it'd burn off and it'd be fine after this.

You said it does this AFTER its been warmed up continuously (it doesn't go away). Depends on the smoke but it could be water (heat gasket) or oil (valve seals, rings, turbo seals etc).

Let me be absolutely clear on this, there is no way oil is leaking INTO your manifold from the valve cover while the cars running...

As I mentioned before, I took the manifold off. The manifold gasket is a double layered metal gasket. There was oil infront, behind, and inbetween the metal layers. If you remove your exhaust manifold and gasket, their was actually "puddles" of oil being built up behind the gasket.After taking the gasket off, I cleaned off the wet oil but there is still some remains of dried oil. Being as it is,Im pretty sure the oil is making its way into the manifold. But hey maybe Im wrong. Thanks for the input.

I've removed perfectly functioning head gaskets, intake gaskets etc coated in oil. You didn't think perhaps it got oil on it when removing it?

It's not leaking in there when it's running ... trust me.

That line running across the whole front is just the power steering cooler, remove it and loop the line at the bottom of the reservoir.

I would look for a way to keep the power steering cooler, and that thing across from your SMIC is an engine oil cooler, so you better not touch it.

Someone already pointed this out to you, but I don't think you believed him: "Oil is not leaking into your exhaust manifold and smoking out of the tailpipe" The fact that you even sugested this proves that fixing cars is not your day job. Trust us, that's not it.

You really need to figure out what's wrong with your car, and fix it before you do all these mods. I believe a quick search would tell you that.

WTF:(

The smoke when you warm it up and mostly after sitting and idling sounds like valve seals, but it would be bluish white. The problem is, Why is there so much oil in your IC pipes? For instance where is this?

That's oil right? If you are getting that much out of your crankcase breather, then you might need rings.
In which case if you install a MBC and crank up the boost, you'll only make it worse.
If all this oil is accumulating after the turbo, then you may have a clogged oil return pipe from the turbo to the pan.

I don't think it's coolant like some people have sugested, because you never mentioned overheating or mysterious coolant consumption. So I'm going to accuse Professor blue smoke, in the intake runner, with the valve seal.

have you checked your turbo for shaft play? when mine junked out it did the same as your describing i used mobile one and my smoke was white not blue. the color of burning oil depends on if it gets burned in the combustion chamber or dumped straight into the exhaust. but you replaced the turbo with a 14b does it still smoke?

My 14 b isnt on yet Im still in the process of putting it on. Today was a pretty big waste, I figured out that my 2g oil return line doesnt have the same hole position as the 14 b so I had to slot the holes alittle but I destroyed my gasket in the process. Gotta order a new one. The power steering cooler line shouldnt be a problem, if it does get in the way I will just move it behind the T bracket in the middle of the front bumper. I still have to figure out how to get around the engine oil cooler. I was told that you can work around it but you have to get rid of some of its support. For future mods Im thinking about a catch can and a new pcv vavle. I think I read somewhere though that a catch can isnt good for dd's.
As for the location of the oil in the ic, I believe thats the bov flanged pipe.
The t25 does have some in and out play. Hopefully the replaced parts will solver my problem's but if not, it will limit what they can be.

Well its been awhile since my last post, didnt take as many pictures as I wanted to.

Basically, I added
1gbov
prosport boost
hallman hbc
Big 16 self ported
2g exhaust mani self ported
2g tb shop ported
vrspeed fmic (self made air duct)
pvc valve
relocated smaller coolant overflow
catchcan (fuel filter)
jpipe self tapped
Bonehead 1g oil feed
2g oil return (from some kit)
Custom ram air
and alotta new clamps

Heres some pics and of course Ill post my need to fix problems at the bottom.

14b/t25/16g

My port, not the best, not trying to win any awards

You can see the ram air on the left, hidden is the lower air duct behind my fmic. Its nothing that hasnt been done before (thanks for the ideas fellow tuners:hellyeah:) went for a drive today and didnt see any temps above half the temp gauge.

A little dirty but my engine bay is grownin up :cry:

Ill take some more exterior pics this weekend.

Notes:

Well car still smokes, gotta be rings, stem seals or hg (really doubt its hg). Im leaning towards stem seals (probably because its the easiest).

Even with my attempt at porting I still think Im getting the old boost creep. However, when reading about fuel cut, I thought the car actually stalled to a halt but mine kinda just feels like an angry miss. My boost gauge shoots up to about 18 (i think, damn dimmed screen and didnt get the back light working yet)
I figure instead of just battling it for ever, Im just gonna upgrade the fuel system along with getting dsm link. I figure as long as I stay out of boost for the time being Ill be alright.

Got rid of some of the leaks but I think I found a new one that needs tended to, Ill check it out this weekend.

Questions, Comments, Thoughts are all welcome. Like I said Ill take more pics this weekend.

Notes:

Well car still smokes, gotta be rings, stem seals or hg (really doubt its hg). Im leaning towards stem seals (probably because its the easiest).

Have you ever done a compression test since you first noticed the smoke? It won't take too long and it will help you to potentially rule out a headgasket, even though you doubt it is that, theres no reason not to do a pretty standard test and be sure about it.

Your 3rd pic down, what is the purpose of those? Just to help keep everything even or to help with securing down the FMIC?

Your 3rd pic down, what is the purpose of those? Just to help keep everything even or to help with securing down the FMIC?

Helps direct the air that goes through the IC also go through the radiator. :thumb:

No I have not done a compression test yet ( yes I need to). I also bought materials for a diy boost leak test. As stated by black94, its all about making sure the air from the fmic goes into the rad and not around. I still havent seen high temps but that could be because its only a high of 60. Well see how the summer treats it. Ill throw more pics up tomorrow!

If you thought that only porting the exhaust inlet of the turbo would prevent boost creep, you were mistaken. You were supposed to port where the wastegate flapper seals INSIDE of the turbo. You could either make the hole bigger, take some of the metal away from where the flapper hits the wall so that the flapper can open more, or both.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back