1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Need opinion on my small basic winter build

Posted by challa, Sep 25, 2020

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. challa

challa Probationary Member

Joined Jul 19, 2020
    Andheri West, California
    Alright first of all I have a 99 GSX and i bought it in december of 2009. When i purchased it it was close to being stock other then exhaust, downpipe, intake, and coilovers. Im having a little trouble choosing which route i wanna go with the small build. Im hoping for at LEAST 300 AWHP but keep it reliable as it will be an occasional driven vehicle other then my honda.
    https://9apps.cam/
    I currently have a small 16g on there and thinking on upgrading to an 18g. and all the fuel mods, tuning etc and all to go with it. Im thinking on running 20 psi on either of the turbo that i decide to go with.

Current mods on the car
    FP manifold
    Small 16g (ported FP turbine housing)
    ported o2 housing
    HKS bov
    HKS carbon exhaust
    Megan racing downpipe
    AMS boost controller
    Punishment racing UICP
    Godspeed FMIC

Things on the list to get
    Fuel pump, 560cc injectors
    Tactrix 2.0 cable
    272 cams
    and a few other things i cant think of atm

So if you guys could help me out and give me your personal opinions i would greatly appreciate it. I would like more help on the lines of "Would it be safe to run 20 psi on an 18g on stock block?" The car is very well maintained i bought it with 87k miles girl driven before me. Compression is all above 150 all 4 cylinders.

Heres a pic of the car i thought i would share
    (looks a little different now that it has a CF hood) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. 95FullSend99

95FullSend99 Proven Member

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    There is zero reason why you couldn't make 300 hp off your current setup. You will probably need more injector and deffinatly a 255 fuel pump but other than that there is no reason you couldn't be a chunk over 300 now.

As for the 18g, I haven't seen one in a very long time so if you find one, and don't use it, let me know and I'll buy it for safe keeping.

Street Build 902  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    2Gjunkie and TK's9d2TSi like this.
  3. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    +1 what Will said. For 300awhp, you don’t need a bigger turbo. Fuel pump w rewire, bigger injectors and a tune. Can’t remember when mine started slipping but I think even the stock clutch might still be good for that power level.

nice car!!

Are you friend with the guy that’s selling his teal 2g (on YT)?

487  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

540  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.2 @ 120 · 1G DSM
  4. Jays99Spyder

Jays99Spyder Proven Member

Joined Feb 22, 2020
    Waukegan, Illinois
    From what I seen you should see 300+ on your current set up. I would put that 20g money twords a new pump(with rewire), injectors, wideband, and link. Could even do evo 9 pump and injectors, thats the route I'm going.

Street Build 261  4

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder 4G63 Swap
    fwd · manual · 4G63t Swapped
    Kryndon likes this.
  5. jed344

jed344 Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Waterville, Iowa
    You should be able to make 300 with that turbo. I wouldn't hesitate to push that stock motor. The last stock motor 7 bolt i tuned had just hks 272s and arps. That car did 449whp at 30psi on hx35.

1K  38

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. 2Gjunkie

2Gjunkie Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2020
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You might want to reconsider 560cc. I don’t have my fueling sheets in front of me, but off the top of my head the 560cc will run 100% duty cycle around 370 crank hp, and you want 300awhp...

Street Build 156  2

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. JusMX141

JusMX141 Moderator

Joined Dec 13, 2005
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Ditch the FP manifold in favor of a ported 2G or Evo III manifold...if the Small 16G feels too "small" you can always go for the Evo III 16G instead. An 18G (in OEM cast form) has absolutely nothing to offer over an Evo III 16G at 20psi except more lag. I'd suggest injectors that are more than just 20% bigger than stock as well.

3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

6K  14

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 1G DSM

3K  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM