The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need ideas on how to protect extended wires.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
When i bought my 2g gsx it came with what i believe to be a 6 bolt jdm swap. Regardless, several things were just zip tied to other things and whatnot, so im relocating everything. Im putting the entire power transistor harness behind the intake manifold and im going to be extending the tps, fuel injectors, and coil pack wires so i can neatly tuck them all. Ill be soldering all of the connections and heat shrinking them all also. Now to the point, im planning on running the injector wires inbetween the intake runners so theyre going to see quite a bit of heat, how can i protect the wires from melting, or malfunctioning due to heat? Could i run vacuum line around the wires? What do people use when they do wire tucks?

car part stores or hardware stores should have it right in stock!

i have seen it at my autozone and advances auto parts napa should have it and home depot, lowes, even ACE has it.

Good luck with your project dude!!

Last edited:
Sweet, ill probably go with heat sleeves. Does anyone think vacuum line will work? Cause i already have a lot of it left over from fixing all the vacuum lines, i just diddnt know if it would melt.

Sweet, ill probably go with heat sleeves. Does anyone think vacuum line will work? Cause i already have a lot of it left over from fixing all the vacuum lines, i just diddnt know if it would melt.

It will only absorb the heat. Go with an actual sleeve:thumb:

Just buy some wire loom, Most auto parts stores carry it in various diameters and sell it by the foot.

Wire loom is best, but not if you buy it from auto parts stores. For some reason, they usually sell low-temperature, easily-crushed crap...at least around here. A good source for quality wire loom and related connectors is CableOrganizer.com. A lot of their pricing is in bulk, but they will also sell most of it by the foot if you give them a call. Another good source is CableTiesAndMore.com.

What you want is nylon loom, rated for at least 250*F and automotive applications. Any wire loom of this type worth it's salt will be marked with a gray or white stripe.

For high heat applications such as around exhausts, I recommend Bentley-Harris ConvoShield. It can handle temperatures approaching 1000*F.

Be sure to use good electrical tape also, as they aren't all created equal. Personally, I only use Scotch 33+.

Wire loom is best, but not if you buy it from auto parts stores. For some reason, they usually sell low-temperature, easily-crushed crap...at least around here. A good source for quality wire loom and related connectors is CableOrganizer.com. A lot of their pricing is in bulk, but they will also sell most of it by the foot if you give them a call. Another good source is CableTiesAndMore.com.

What you want is nylon loom, rated for at least 250*F and automotive applications. Any wire loom of this type worth it's salt will be marked with a gray or white stripe.

For high heat applications such as around exhausts, I recommend Bentley-Harris ConvoShield. It can handle temperatures approaching 1000*F.

Be sure to use good electrical tape also, as they aren't all created equal. Personally, I only use Scotch 33+.

I went to every place in town today accept ace hardware being as they were closed, every auto parts store consisted of the default clueless workers and noone had anything of use. Im sure i will find something worthy at ace hardware in the morning. If i werent in such a hurry i would buy online, however as of now my dd is torn apart an di have school monday morning. And i too only use super 33.

Ok i hope someone reads this asap cause i need some help. I got everything rewired and tucked and whatnot about an hour ago. I cranked it up and it ran perfect for about 5 mins of idle. Then the car suddenly started acting like it was running out of gas. So i assumed my gas gauge was stuck and went to the gas station. Came back with 2 gallons of gas and put them in. Cranked it up and the same thing. It just idles like its running out of gas and it eventually dies. I can rev it a little and keep it going really roughly, but it wont rev over 2500 and it backfires really bad. I pulled each plug one at a time and it made it run more rough everytime i pulled one. Im up for suggestions.

Well after hours of troubleshooting, for some unknown reason i found a switch in the kick panel of my car that cuts off the fuel to my car. Makes no sense to me, but ust to save anyone time the problem has been resolved.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back