The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Need help with clutch!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggy built

Probationary Member
Aug 20, 2018
Halifax, NS_Canada
hey guys just recently purchased my first dsm a 97 eclipse gsx and I’m already loving it the car was sitting for a couple years before i bought it so i just got all the fenders and stuff back together. was driving it yesterday and all of a sudden was hard to get in and out of gear. I came to a stop and the clutch pedal was really soft and now the clutch engages like 2 cm off the floor went to drive home then the clutch started to slip under load (anything over 5psi would make it slip) i tried bleeding the clutch and adjusting the pedal and no luck. Can some one please help me out with an idea of what it could be most likely going to replace the Slave and the master but some insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Based on those symptoms it sounds like it's either the slave or the master. If the car was sitting for a while some of those seals can dry out and cause problems. I wouldn't totally run out the clutch being shot either since you said it was slipping- but since it came on "all the sudden" as you stated I would tend to lean more toward the master or slave. Start there and report back.

Based on those symptoms it sounds like it's either the slave or the master. If the car was sitting for a while some of those seals can dry out and cause problems. I wouldn't totally run out the clutch being shot either since you said it was slipping- but since it came on "all the sudden" as you stated I would tend to lean more toward the master or slave. Start there and report back.
Yea that’s what i was thinking since it didn’t start with the clutch slipping drove it for a day then it started to do it think I’m just gonna order a cheap master and slave off rock auto to try and fix the problem

I'd be leaning towards clutch related, it shouldn't be slipping at 5 psi.
Just randomly started slipping though i was hitting 14psi before no problem when it was working only drove it for a day then out of no where’s it started to slip and run into the problems off shifting and stuff

Make sure its adjusted properly. There's a valve in the master to allow pressure to bleed back and if your pedal is over adjusted it will keep pressure in the system. Jack's trans has a great adjustment video covering the issue. That's where I would start first then go over your hydraulic system. Then if you're finally down to it being a part failure replace both parts the master and slave at the same time. Use OEM parts from my personal experience on my old 2g I went cheap with the equal brand and they were shit. Just plain garbage broke down and bought an OEM master and slave and adjusted properly never had another issue.

Update replaced the master, slave, and clutch line, clutch still is slipping... the clutch pedal engages right on the floor so I’m not too sure if it’s the clutch that’s bad or if i might be bleeding the clutch system wrong if someone could explain to me the proper way incase i might be doing it wrong that’d be awesome Any more help would be greatly appreciated

The conventional way of bleeding brakes works with the clutch system too, which is how I assume you're bleeding it. Open bleed, press clutch pedal to floor, close bleed, lift pedal, repeat.

It sounds like your pressure plate has called it quits from your description. That will cause a low pedal, as well as slipping. Regardless slipping in general isn't a good sign. If you had full pedal travel and a slipping clutch I'd venture to guess you over adjusted the master cylinder, but since this started without you messing with anything I'd put my money on a failed pressure plate.

If a car is over 15 years old replace any items associated with worn items

Expect to replace the clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. You NEED to replace the rear main seal, the axle seals, the output shaft seal, the diff fluid, the trans fluid, the shifter cable bushings. Both front and rear trans mounts

Dont forget the pivot ball.and release fork.

If he had air in the lines the clutch wouldn't be slipping. It would be binding the trans and grinding gears

His clutch disc is worn out

And yes, I once forgot to get a new pivot ball and fork, and it caused me to pull the trans twice and the car to be down for a year.

A dsm should not be your only vehicle. Your money is best spent on a used Honda Civic or Accord until you can do the work yourself. If you're paying a shop to do this for you they will charge you about what a used Honda Accord or Civic goes for. Even if you pay that there's no guarantee a week after that the dsm won't leave you stranded again

Friends don't let friends own only one car

If he had air in the lines the clutch wouldn't be slipping. It would be binding the trans and grinding gears

His clutch disc is worn out

Most likely, yes. Although, the "releases 2cm off of the floor" aspect may indicate a secondary issue.

I was pointing out the issues with the bleeding process above, not saying that it was the problem.

While I don't disagree that you *can* trap air, the amount is minimal at most. I do always bleed the slave manually like that, but never has it helped.

I respectfully disagree.

I've had many customers, including shops who work on these cars regularly have this solve release problems when they were having release issues and call me for advice.

It's not always an issue, especially on lighter clutches, but I have seen it be the specific problem causing release issues, and it is the proper way to bleed the system.

Good call on the pressure plate though in the above post. He should probably pull the fork boot and turn the crank while looking up in there to see if it sheared any fingers or squished the bearing.

Ended up replacing the master slave and clutch line went to take it for a test drive and still slipped on the way back to my house it lost all gears pulled the trans to find that one side of the clutch had no material left it was just the metal. Got a new clutch on now having troubles getting the trans back on any tips?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back