The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Need Help Diagnosing Clutch Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WisconsinMonSTAR

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2014
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Well, I just finished replacing my clutch, and followed the directions to a tee. Everything seemed normal, aside from a noise that pointed toward a bad throwout bearing. (Faint rattle with clutch engaged/went away with clutch disengaged). I drove for about 120 miles before I started hearing a sort of metal prickling noise every time I engaged my clutch after shifting. Throughout this whole time, the suspected throw out bearing noise continued to get louder. The noise became very prominent the other night, and on my way home, I went to downshift and my pedal felt a little rough/crunchy. Almost as if I were crushing an empty soda can beneath the pedal. I couldn't shift into gears. I tried pumping the pedal, but each time I pressed it in, it got harder and harder to push, to the point where I felt like I was going to break something if I kept pushing it. The car is sitting outside of a garage, in a not-so-good neighborhood, waiting for the mechanic to see it on Monday. I'm stressing out about my car, hoping it doesn't fall victim to vandalism. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the issue may be? Some more info that might help is that when I went to check out the slave cylinder before this all happened, I noticed that it was putting constant pressure against the pressure plate teeth, and I was unable to press the slave cylinder pushrod back in toward the drivers side. After making some adjustments, I was able to push the slave pushrod back in and relieve the pressure from the throwout bearing being sandwiched between the release fork and pressure plate teeth. Although, a few days later, I ended up broken down on the highway due to the reason I told you earlier. Please help. Thanks.

Well, I just finished replacing my clutch, and followed the directions to a tee. Everything seemed normal, aside from a noise that pointed toward a bad throwout bearing. (Faint rattle with clutch engaged/went away with clutch disengaged). I drove for about 120 miles before I started hearing a sort of metal prickling noise every time I engaged my clutch after shifting. Throughout this whole time, the suspected throw out bearing noise continued to get louder. The noise became very prominent the other night, and on my way home, I went to downshift and my pedal felt a little rough/crunchy. Almost as if I were crushing an empty soda can beneath the pedal. I couldn't shift into gears. I tried pumping the pedal, but each time I pressed it in, it got harder and harder to push, to the point where I felt like I was going to break something if I kept pushing it. The car is sitting outside of a garage, in a not-so-good neighborhood, waiting for the mechanic to see it on Monday. I'm stressing out about my car, hoping it doesn't fall victim to vandalism. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the issue may be? Some more info that might help is that when I went to check out the slave cylinder before this all happened, I noticed that it was putting constant pressure against the pressure plate teeth, and I was unable to press the slave cylinder pushrod back in toward the drivers side. After making some adjustments, I was able to push the slave pushrod back in and relieve the pressure from the throwout bearing being sandwiched between the release fork and pressure plate teeth. Although, a few days later, I ended up broken down on the highway due to the reason I told you earlier. Please help. Thanks.

You didn't need to start a second thread about the same thing. It sounds like you are experiencing pedal pump. This means that you have the master cylinder rod too tight and the master cylinder isn't releasing all the way. I would go out and loosen the rod a few turns than see how it acts.

Sorry, but nobody was responding to the other thread, and that thread was supposed to be about my clutch swap story, but it lead to me talking about my issue, so I started a new thread for the issue alone. So you're saying I should turn the rod in more toward the pedal?

Sorry, but nobody was responding to the other thread, and that thread was supposed to be about my clutch swap story, but it lead to me talking about my issue, so I started a new thread for the issue alone. So you're saying I should turn the rod in more toward the pedal?

Turn the rod so that it screws into the nut that is welded in the pedal, which will give you more slack in the pedal.

So they took it all apart and said that I did everything right, but the clutch disk I got was just defective... The center pieces that housed the springs had basically popped right out from the entirety of the disk. Brought it back and got a new one under warranty, they're going to put the new one in tomorrow and hopefully that solves my problem!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back