The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Need Clearification on Model Year Parts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
I'm starting to order timing belt and water pump parts and need clarification before I do. My gsx was built in September of '94 and is part of the "early" 95 model group. I've seen parts like the timing tensioner listed as early 95 version and water pumps listed for Aug 95 and later. Are all these parts the same since it's just a 2g 7 bolt engine? I don't want to have to wait longer just because I needed to exchange a part.

That helps for 95 models built after November 94, mine was built September 94.

I even went to JNZ and entered my VIN. At the top, it says 95 GSX as it should, but gives me all the non-turbo parts...

Can only see a couple parts listed here, but it gives me all non-turbo parts.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hi, guys!

We've been having some issues with the new catalog that was crammed down our throats (the old site was going to become obsolete due to new, increased security regulations), this is one of them.

For the life of me, I cannot get them to understand that the "Vehicle model" should be omitted from the catalog for clarity sake. Whatever they list it as in the catalog, it stays static throughout all the makes and models.

For example:

This is the common, 4G63 DOHC Timing belt. It fits this engine from the earliest DSM 2.0 cars (turbo and non-turbo), Galant VR4, all the way up through the Evo VIII (and, it will fit the IX, they just changed the belt material for less stretch with the addition of MIVEC). However, throughout the catalog it's listed as for a "Galant, 2.0 Liter Turbo".

I've tried to explain this to them several times, but they say that the model information attached to the part is "necessary" for some reason in this new software.

When you pull up a part under your inputted car (in this case a 1996 GSX), and select the part you are looking for, it *does* actually order the part for whatever car you've inputted, but this is no doubt annoying (to you, and us).

The diagrams have always been somewhat generic in all of the dealer parts websites out there (there are about 3-4 main ones that 90% of the dealers use), and I can't see that changing (don't look for a curved oil pan in the picture for a 7-bolt 4G63 diagram, for example).

We will be discussing this with them (again.....) next week, as there are some other changes they've assured us would take place that still haven't. I just can't believe the other dealers out there who use this catalog provider haven't found this to be a problem, but when I call them, they act like I'm the only one.

As always, if you have a doubtful moment with the catalog, you can always either email us ( [email protected] ) to confirm, or simply put something like: "These parts should all be for a 96 GSX with a 6-Bolt Swap" in the comments section and we will double check everything for you to confirm they are correct before processing your order.

It was old, and outdated, but I wish we could have kept the old catalog--it *worked*.

Apologies for the inconvenience guys--we want to get this worked out ASAP.

Josh

As always, if you have a doubtful moment with the catalog, you can always either email us ( [email protected] ) to confirm, or simply put something like: "These parts should all be for a 96 GSX with a 6-Bolt Swap" in the comments section and we will double check everything for you to confirm they are correct before processing your order.

It was old, and outdated, but I wish we could have kept the old catalog--it *worked*.

Apologies for the inconvenience guys--we want to get this worked out ASAP.

Thanks for the info. My GSX is a 95 though, and an "early" 95 build before Nov 94. So my only real issue is the timing tensioner being different from all other 2g cars. Would this come up as an issue since other vendors like ExtremePSi show 2 different parts?

I'm starting to order timing belt and water pump parts and need clarification before I do. My gsx was built in September of '94 and is part of the "early" 95 model group. I've seen parts like the timing tensioner listed as early 95 version and water pumps listed for Aug 95 and later. Are all these parts the same since it's just a 2g 7 bolt engine? I don't want to have to wait longer just because I needed to exchange a part.

The 95 uses a different hydraulic tensioner, and this encompasses all of the 1995 Model Year (MD308587 for 1995 MY vs. MD308086 for 1996-1999 MYs). The production dates for the 1995s have always been unusual for Mitsubishi. The 1995 cars were built starting 01/94 through the 2nd week of August, 1995. Most of the time, the model years start and end between July or August of the year. My only guess is it was because of the 2nd Gen. Model being introduced.

The rest of the parts are the same between the 95s and 96-99s. Belt, Tensioner Pulley, Idler Pulley, Balance Shaft Belt, etc.

Hope this handles the questions that you had.

Josh

Mine was built in September '94 according to all the decals, so what part number should I be ordering for the tensioner? I've seen things say between Nov 94 and Aug 95, and Aug 95 to end of production in 99, but nothing prior to Nov 94.

Mine was built in September '94 according to all the decals, so what part number should I be ordering for the tensioner? I've seen things say between Nov 94 and Aug 95, and Aug 95 to end of production in 99, but nothing prior to Nov 94.

As above^^ It's a 95 Model Year (production 01/1994 through 08/1995 which would encompass your 09/94), so you would want the MD308587

Here are production dates and tensioner part #s, directly from the horse's mouth (Mitsubishi's ASA parts program):

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back