The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Need advice: 400-500whp Transmission upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmandymac

Probationary Member
Oct 30, 2021
Kyiv, Europe
Alright guys, so I'm in a dire need for suggestion for one of the last steps of my build (hopefully).
I've got a 1991 naturally aspirated Plymouth Laser RS 2.0. I am turbocharging it and building it to 400-450-500 whp (it basically depends on the transmission now).
My engine is ready (Evo cams, forged Evo pistons, FIC 1200cc injectors, 4-channel parallel intake manifold, custom exhaust manifold, metal gaskets, stroker kit that brings displacement up to 2.4l, so on...). Brake kits and parts that I need to turbocharge it are on their way.

HOWEVER, I got a stock tranny and I am honestly clueless as to what should I do with it.
Do I just repair it (bad 2&3 synchromesh)? Do I replace it with another car's OEM tranny? Is there a decent custom option maybe?
I tried looking through forums including this one, but most of the relevant threads are from mid 2000s, but I need something that I can get my hands on in 2021. Preferably bolt-on but really not obligatory. And preferably something that doesn't cost 5 times my car's price, I'm not building a 2000hp monster...
Any ideas which direction to go and what to be looking for? Pretty please :pray:

Last edited:
A stock rebuild with a double synchro 2nd and 3rd gear should be good. I wouldn’t bother with the stroker in a fwd. the added torque will only amplify the traction problems you will encounter at those power levels

Op has an nt trans. Stock rebuild won't cut it except to get it driveable.
You need an f5m33 out of a turbo car. If you get a 93 or newer trans the axles are larger but of course you need to get new axles if you do that. Your stock trans won't handle any power if for no other reason that it's not possible to use the larger 225mm turbo clutch. The entire clutch,flywheel and backing plate setup is different from turbo to nt. Nt uses a smaller 215mm clutch with a flat flywheel

Last edited:
Turbo trans mine didnt last long with the swap, it lasted a few months but it wasnt too great anyway.
I'm not quite sure. Are you suggesting to get a turbo trans and saying that your NT didn't last long? Or are you saying your turbo trans broke down quick?

Op has an nt trans. Stock rebuild won't cut it except to get it driveable.
You need an f5m33 out of a turbo car. If you get a 93 or newer trans the axles are larger but of course you need to get new axles if you do that. Your stock trans won't handle any power if for no other reason that it's not possible to use the larger 225mm turbo clutch. The entire clutch,flywheel and backing plate setup is different from turbo to nt. Nt uses a smaller 215mm clutch with a flat flywheel
Thank you for the details!
Unfortunately, I cannot come by any 1G DSM turbo trans where I live. However, there's a turbo AWD Galant VR-4 trans for sale. The price is OK and the condition seems to be good, at least I didn't hear any extra noises.
Is that a good option?
I know I'll have to make modifications for it to fit and that there are some specifics related to rear end compatibility. But in general, provided it's in a good condition, would this transmission withstand 400whp? What about 450whp or 500whp?
I'm talking about W5M332WQNK.

I can't speak to how much power an awd trans will hold in fwd mode. You do understand you can't just bolt it in and go? Awd trans doesn't work like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back