The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

my 91 tsi buildup: "fun daily driver"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffi, sorry I missed you last night I was running way behind. I definitely still need that stuff. Glad to see you're getting the 90 ready. Now, to finish it!

As you'll see in this vid, you will notice my broken oil pressure gauge :p. The video is a little 60-140 pull at a wimpy 19psi on a 50/50blend of e85 and 91.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROfVZnvJzw&feature=youtube_gdata_player]91 talon tsi 60-140mph (low boost) - YouTube[/ame]

so, here's another update. i installed my new sheet metal intake manifold. its made of stainless steel and at the moment is very shiny. eventually it'll be painted black to match everything else in the engine bay. then i put some black loom over my bright yellow accel wires... well then the loom cooked off after like 100 miles of driving it. so, i'll have to get the spark plug cover i've been wanting to get. also, i found the source of all my oil leaks. aside from the oil pan bolts backing out over time, the three lower exhaust manifold studs were leaking oil. after putting silicone on those studs, i put them back in. things have been completely dry ever since. i've also been playing with e85 and more boost lately. at 25 psi the car is kinda hard to control in a straight line. it just torque steers like crazy and the front wheels will spin from time to time. future plans consist of installing a new carbon fiber hood, and putting the ac back in. soon i hope to take the car out corvette hunting =)

here's a recent underhood pic.
20130406_134236_zpsbc5b5f10.jpg

here's another update... i took the car to ted from tedspec to have it tuned. well, on e85 we maxed out the fuel pump/injector combo pretty quickly @25psi. so, now its time to step things up in that department. here are my plans for the car now... i'm on a mission to max out the borg warner s258

bosch 044 pump (1 for now)
-8 line from the pump to the rail
rci 2200cc injectors
30-35psi of boost
new head gasket
arp L19 head studs

i already have the pump, so, now to get the rest of the list satisfied.

i know i need to upload more pics probably of the progress. here's the most recent one now with the new (to me) carbon fiber hood installed.
20130416_163626_zpse40981c5.jpg

i'll get more pics i promise =)

Your car..... IS THE BEST LOOKING 1GA OR 1G I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! The wheels, hood, paint, brakes, color is amazing! I guess im also just a huge fan of gray. Im sure you already covered it already (was to busy drooling), but what piston/rod combo are you running?

Your car looks amazing.. I hope to get mine to look like that some day. I just started my build.:thumb:

Your car..... IS THE BEST LOOKING 1GA OR 1G I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!! The wheels, hood, paint, brakes, color is amazing! I guess im also just a huge fan of gray. Im sure you already covered it already (was to busy drooling), but what piston/rod combo are you running?

thanks man, the piston/rod combo are the standard wiseco pistons, and scat rods.

very soon, the engine is going to come apart since we suspect the head has lifted while trying to get the car to 30psi of boost. the tune that was on the car when i bought it was way too aggressive on the timing. that coupled with 25-30psi of boost caused too much pressure for the head bolts to handle. it currently has the standard arp's so, basically they've failed. the car still runs/drives great. but i have an air pocket that keeps forming in the cooling system, no matter what i do. so once the L19's show up i'm going to start ripping into the car.

I like! where did you come across the carbon fiber hood? i was only able to find 1 of them and it did not fit properly.

i got the hood from a fellow member on here. the hood also didnt fit properly for me as well. i had to modify a few things to make it fit. the stock hood latch was too high up for the hood to close all the way... that was the main issue.

thanks man, the piston/rod combo are the standard wiseco pistons, and scat rods.

very soon, the engine is going to come apart since we suspect the head has lifted while trying to get the car to 30psi of boost. the tune that was on the car when i bought it was way too aggressive on the timing. that coupled with 25-30psi of boost caused too much pressure for the head bolts to handle. it currently has the standard ARP's so, basically they've failed. the car still runs/drives great. but i have an air pocket that keeps forming in the cooling system, no matter what i do. so once the L19's show up I'm going to start ripping into the car.

Standard ARP studs are good for 700+ HP on 4g63's running up to 40 PSI... I don't think you can blame them for a blow out at 30 PSI... I still say the head might not have been torqued correctly. The ARP L19's are good and expensive. If paying more for ARP L19 over standard ARP makes you feel better I say go for it... but I'd look to find the real cause of your problem.

-Raffi

Standard ARP studs are good for 700+ HP on 4g63's running up to 40 PSI... I don't think you can blame them for a blow out at 30 PSI... I still say the head might not have been torqued correctly. The ARP L19's are good and expensive. If paying more for ARP L19 over standard ARP makes you feel better I say go for it... but I'd look to find the real cause of your problem.

-Raffi

i already got the L19's, and a new mls head gasket. so, they'll be going in very soon. i'm not really looking for good enough with this. if paying a little more for the best head stud means extra security, even if it was just that, is completely worth it to me. especially if i'm going to be pushing 35psi from this turbo.

Before you bolt stuff up you might want to check the head to see if is warped... just in case.
-Raffi

Great build bro! Hopefully I can get my 1Gb back up running (needs a new engine and clutch, tranny is a possiblity) and get it cleaned up. So far it has moss due to my friend leaving it out in the elements LOL. I love the Brembos and the Evo wheels :) Good job!

well its time for a long overdue update on things...

the new head gasket is installed, the arp L19's are in. finally i got the car to stop leaking (LOL). lately its been serving daily driver duty and its been getting even half decent gas mileage on the highway (around 20-22mpg) if i drive like a nun. yesterday the rci 2200cc injectors went in, and i'm blown away with how well they work. driveability is better than it was with my 1050cc injectors. and before that i started running the walbro 255lph feeding an inline bosch 044 pump. so, i should have the fuel supply issue taken care of. unfortunately my ptt twin disc started slipping due to the pedal not being properly adjusted. i was so paranoid about the clutch dragging i adjusted it to the point where the clutch didnt ever fully engauge. :banghead: so, now i'm back on the act 2600 kit and 11.x lb flywheel. the manners of the clutch are actually more to my liking with this kit than the twin disc. unfortunately, the only three pics i took are one of my dogs resting her head against the shifter, the 044 pump view from my rear driverside tire. and some artsy fartsy pic of the nose section after washing it. sorry, i'll try to snap some more later today. and tonight the car should be getting tuned for higher boost 30-35psi. lets hope all goes well with that.

20130905_164150_zps3a1eeb42.jpg

20130904_121132_zpsc809620d.jpg

20130904_120632_zps70b3c7e0.jpg

more to come...

i washed it today, did some checks before i get her tuned tonight. i also thought i'd snap pics of the not so obvious changes since the last update... plus, this car seems to take itself apart. the alternator bolts that hold it together backed themselves out magically. also my knock sensor did the same thing. i'm guessing this is a normal dsm thing when poly mounts are involved with no balance shafts.

exterior shots... complete with a new little ding on the driver side.
20130912_134017_zps20647a79.jpg

20130912_133750_zps42c1a6eb.jpg

20130912_133853_zps3f7a2a7f.jpg

rci 2200's installed.
20130912_134059_zpsee57fde1.jpg

new (to me) fluidyne installed with almost no bent fins.
20130912_134316_zps7c050753.jpg

alternator as i found it today. obviously, i didnt leave it this way.
20130912_134522_zpse6afbbb8.jpg

Last edited:
well thanks to ted, we got the car running on about 30-32psi of boost on e85 now. i wanted to leave the timing concervative because i've been driving the car a lot lately. the rci 2200's are the best damn injectors i've ever used personally. driveability is probably better on these than the stock injectors. at max boost we're only at about 55% duty. i've been getting around 16mpg avg city/hwy/boosting. the only thing tapped out on my setup as of right now is the 2g maf. so, if i want to run more boost, i'll have to do something about that. maybe i'll go to speed density, but i prefer to stay with the maf since its so simple to tune. i'll try to get a video posted of the acceleration on the speedo soon.

so, there are a couple of updates to add for the talon as of lately. the car is still boosting 30psi without any problems aside from the loose hose clamp/vacuum lines blowing off. so, i've been dialing in the fuel table for more fuel economy. my car also got backed into on the front bumper. luckily for me its only going to take a respray to bring it back to 100%. since that has now happened i took this oppertunity to enlarge the front hole in the bumper to get some more much needed airflow across the intercooler/radiator. here are some pics of that process...

heres the beginning with the plasma cutter.
20130924_103923_zpsee4af774.jpg

after some trimming, here's a test fit... (obviously not a perfect fit)
20130924_145358_zps8af4ad2e.jpg

here's a shot of the progress a little further along. the hole was extended to a couple of inches above the intercooler so that the airflow can reach the radiator directly, this was badly needed.
20130924_184033_zps7073e9db.jpg

when everything is finalized i'm going to take the bumper off, and have it repainted and then i was thinking of plastidipping it in clear to protect it from rock chips. also, i'm going to clean up the edges of the plasma cut bumper so that everything is smooth. i want it as factory looking as possible. i'm even going to fill the gaps left in the cross section of the bumper with crash support foam most likely. so that everything looks nice and solid.

also i got in my personalized license plates, after waiting for a long damn time for them. sorry about this pic, its all i have of it at the time.
20130923_104553_zps592217ae.jpg

more updates to come, hopefully some ripper videos too!

well i got a chance to go out to one of our local(ish) drag strips. the last time i went to the drag strip i only managed a 13.8 @ 113.9 mph. for the amount of stuff thats done to the car, i was a little disappointed with that. the next day i found my base timing somehow was way off 5degrees ATDC, and i had a boost leak.

so, i fixed those things, and enabled no lift to shift. so i went to somoma raceway to see how it would do now. i have a flanged muffler that allows me to remove it and install a test pipe in its place that is a good deal less restrictive. i got 5 runs in for the night, 2 runs with the muffler and 3 without.

1st run
60ft 2.385
et 13.216
mph 117.30

2nd run
60ft 2.565
et 13.663
mph 112.11 (missed 4th)

3rd run (test pipe on)
60ft 2.152
et 13.172
mph 118.79

4th run (test pipe on)
60ft 2.041
et 12.428
mph 116.47

5th run (test pipe on)
60ft 1.920
et 11.915
mph 121.44

the cool part was how reliable the car was throughout the night. and its nice to know i can pull 1.9sec (and probably better) on normal street tires. that's about it for now.

Great Car! Love what your doing with this build! I think you'd really benefit with the speed density kit. Its not as hard to tune as everyone thinks just a little tedious when first trying it out. Love the times. Get that 60ft down and that ET will drop! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back