The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

My 6 bolt swap on my 99GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer Fabrications

10+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
well its been quite a year, i was driving around in a 1995 subaru impreza outback (red) that i bought from my familys business just as something to get around because i had previously sold my 2008 GSX-R600 so i could move to Toronto canada to be with my girlfriend. anyway, i had bought this Subaru for $2400 and played around with it for a litle bit and my friend that was also an old co-worker at a resturant i worked at had this 1999 GSX all stock. he did beat the crap out of it and you could definitly tell. in april 2011 i had convinced him to sell it to me.. he was asking for $6000 and i thought hell, alright, so i put my subaru up for sale for 3900, and it sold pretty quick. i had saved up some money to meet close to his asking price, i offered him 5k pending an inspection. i take it to get an inspection at gregs japanese auto in lynnwood and they say the car has been beat on, the exhaust is aftermarket and has major restrictions such as the pipoe that connects to the cat went from 2.5 to 2" and the turbo was blown, needed timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, etc etc etc.. normal mantinance... they recomended that i do not buy the car. well i was very set on buying a DSM although i did not know much about it at the time. i called the dealer and asked how much it would cost for a new stock turbo and installation. they quoted me 1400 for the T-25 (HAHA:tease:) and 800 labor adding up to a total of 2100 bucks. well i went back to my friends dad, the car was in his name and told him look its got all these things wrong with it its gonna cost me 2100 bucks to fix, to cut this already long story short. i offered him 3900 dollars and he accepted.

after a few months of driving stuff started to go wrong, i took the car to the previous owner from the guy i just bought this from, who happened to previously work for pina motorsports in renton and was an expert with these. he now is a part of ground vision performance. well he told me i was on my way to crank walk. and told me i should be saving up for a new motor. thats when i started to think.... LETS DO THIS THING....

started comming up with a build path... 14B turbo path idea ended up being the 16G which was the first turbo i bought for this upgrade for $250which i ended up selling the 16g for $400and throwing down an extra 600 bucks which ended up becoming what i finally decided on to be my PTE 6152 BB platform. we did a full build on a freshly machined 6 bolt from a 1992 GSX, i had major problems with my machine shop they messed up the bore two times and had to buy me 2 different 6 bolt blocks to finally get the .020 that my mahle pistons would fit.
after all that was figured out it was time to build. threw in scat rods with my mahle pistons and didnt take any shortcuts. the motor was finished at the end of november 2011
8 months later and 10,000 dollars i got my fully built 6 bolt motor, still running stock T-25 and 450 injectors for break in but in the next few days im onto my PTE 1000's and 6152 and DNP tubulatr manifold with tial 38mm wastegate. VRSF FMIC then im off to Tune!!

heres the build list:

Mod list:
Bolt Ons:
Precision SC6152 Dual Ball-Bearing Turbo with 4" S compressor cover
Hallman MBC
DNP Tubular Manifold
Tial 38mm waste gate on 1.2 bar spring
Tial Q 50mm BOV
VR-Speed Factory FMIC shortest route 28.5"x10"x3.5"
koyo Aluminium Radiator
Megan 3" Down pipe & 3" Exhaust
2g manifolds Intake Manifold
1g Throttlebody

Transmission & Drive Train:
ACT 2600 Solid 6 Puck Clutch
ACT Street Light Flywheel
Rear Viscous LSD

Motor:
6 bolt 2.0
Balance Shaft Eliminated
Mahle Forged Piston .020 Overbore
Scat Forged Rods
ACL Race Bearings (main and rod)
Polyurethane Motor Mounts
Felpro Perma Torque Head Gasket
Top line 3g Lifters
BC 272/272 Cams
ARP Studs (Head and Mains)
NEW OEM Front case Assembly, Oil Pump, Water pump, Timing Belt & all new OEM gaskets & Seals

Machining on Motor:
Glass bead block
hot tank block
magna-flux block
bore/hone/final wash + torque plate
hang pistons
micro polish crank
cam bearings r&r
balance rotating assembly
line hone mains
resurface block
resurface head
Drilled for ARPs
Valve Job

FUEL
Walbro 255HP
Precision 1000CC Injectors
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel pressure Regulator

Engine Management Electronics
95 Eprom ECU & DSMLink v3
Autometer 30Psi boost/vac Gauge
AEM Wide band EUGO
AEM 0-150PSI Oil pressure Gauge

Suspension
KYB struts
Stock Springs
StopTech Rotors w/ Hawk Pads

some pix::hellyeah:

more pix to come after next week with the new turbo and manifold install!

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1714.jpg
    IMG_1714.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Looks good. I have the same-ish plans for my 99 with a 6 bolt swap. Why did you go with DSMLink over ECUFlash? Both are great tuning systems but I'm just curious. I'd like to see more build pics.

Everything looks great, but why not just rebuild your 99 7 bolt? They are split thrust bearing and are better then your average 7 bolt. I guess I'm just a big fan of the revised 7 bolts :)

Everything looks great, but why not just rebuild your 99 7 bolt? They are split thrust bearing and are better then your average 7 bolt. I guess I'm just a big fan of the revised 7 bolts :)

well let me tell you about that i supose i forgot to add that in. the previous owner.... 3 owners ago (not including me) put an evo 3 16G on there and blew the crap out of the motor with no supporting mods. then my engine builder from Ground vision performance bought it from this guy and put a 97 7 bolt in... then he sold it to my buddy who sold it to me. but the motor started to walk (had 130k on it) BUT good to say, i have the origional head from the origional 7 bolt (in the pix) so its kinda like i got to keep some of the origional stuff... haha plus i wanted a 600AWHP beast.

Looks good. I have the same-ish plans for my 99 with a 6 bolt swap. Why did you go with DSMLink over ECUFlash? Both are great tuning systems but I'm just curious. I'd like to see more build pics.

i decided to go with something tried and true. i have my 99 ECU for sale though :)

Last edited:
Which has been made on a stock 7-bolt.

not as many times as a 6 bolt :)

had a little bit of issues with the turbo gasket didnt qite fit right over the studs, so when i tigened it down as hard as i could it has a little warpage tword the front of the turbo, hoping it cont cause issues with boost leakage.. prob gonna take it off and make sure its good

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 179
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 175
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
just put on the turbo today, i havent hooked up the water lines, or put the exhaust on the o2 housing but the injectors are in! the FMIC is IN! and turbo is IN! for the most part, pix to come!!!

I thought you said on my build forum that you have already put 500 miles on your new motor, and your getting ready for your 4th oil change..
am I missing something here?

I thought you said on my build forum that you have already put 500 miles on your new motor, and your getting ready for your 4th oil change..
am I missing something here?

i do have 500 miles on my new motor, i broke it in on the T-25 and 450s.... i just installed the 6152 today. wasnt about to break the motor in on a 500hp turbo

you will notice pic #1 is before i bought the car, pic 2 is as it sat as of yesterday with new motor stock turbo.

Oh ok I get it, nice. That's a good way to do it, I don't have a smaller turbo setup so I will just keep it at wastegate pressure. I like the car and think you got a great deal on it :hellyeah:

Oh ok I get it, nice. That's a good way to do it, I don't have a smaller turbo setup so I will just keep it at wastegate pressure. I like the car and think you got a great deal on it :hellyeah:

hellz yeah! so after this weekend. all turbo, oil lines, FMIC, water lines, and 1000CC injectors are completely installed, new 20W50 oil by Valvoline and i havent even started her up yet. i have to futz around with dsmlink for the injectors and get everything dialed in. id like to go SD but havent found a way to hook up my IAT yet.

more pix!:hellyeah:

Attachments

• photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 174
  • photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 179
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 168
What did you do with your old FMIC set up? i like the way it looks (stockish) and me living in cali, the more black the better!

What did you do with your old FMIC set up? i like the way it looks (stockish) and me living in cali, the more black the better!

it was just a greddy/old TRUST long route FMIC, its for sale in the classifieds. but it wasnt black

Looking really good man! I can only hope my GSX looks something like yours.

thanks man! you'll get there :)

Last edited:
well guys i got some horrible news. i was going home from the grocery store, and a 2012 white Audi Q5 pulled out infront of me when i was 5 feet away and i couldent stop soon enough. i was going about 10-15 MPH :( engine is still fine but the passenger side quarter panel and headlight housing and hood and bumper are a little banged up, and a hole in the FMIC. after it gets fixed ill have projectors and a carbon fiber hood and a newly painted OEM bumper :) so not all is lost.. but still very sad. ill get some pix up one of these days. still dealing with insurance people. For the record, other party got a failure to yield ticket and will be paying the damages in full.

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 155
Take your car to the most expensive paint and body shop around your town for a quote. Then have his/her insurance company write you a check for the repair estimate and boom you got yourself enough for the bumper, fenders, cf hood and misc other stuff.

Take your car to the most expensive paint and body shop around your town for a quote. Then have his/her insurance company write you a check for the repair estimate and boom you got yourself enough for the bumper, fenders, cf hood and misc other stuff.

the guys that built my engine ground vision performance are going to be doing an inspection and seeing if there is any engine dmage and quoteing me for a new oem hood, OEM front bumper, passengerside Fender, and paint and labor and headlights and ill probably end up getting projectors and a carbon hood.

He said that it had a bottom end from a 97

correct, and phunny i have never heard of a 6 bolt walking... i have heard of other cars walking how ever but none on a dsm 6 bolt... and yes i did sell it to someone else... i was probably more paranoid about it happening then it actually happening. motor sold for 600 bucks for the long block.

Damn man, that sucks ass. Glad it will be taken care of by the other party, stupid people in their new shiny Audis.

i think he got it a little worse then i did, but his fault so.. dunno what to say about that... but then again i havent even had my car looked at yet by a shop. so far dealer parts unpainted alone are looking like $1118 and to have those parts painted and installed and to fix the damage to the headlight housing... another 2 grand which for the paint and install is a ROUGH estamate. good thing my car KBB for 6500 or else i think id be pretty close to the damn insurance calling this thing totalled... paint is expensive :(

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 163
jeeze thats crazy someone pulled in front of you after the build. looked good though and i bet its fun to drive. good luck with the insurance co. and getting your car back on the road!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back