The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

modded autos stock internals

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do the end clutches, a tranny cooler, and a shift kit (All available through IPT). Make sure you use the correct fluid recommended by Mitsu.

Back when I first did my auto swap on my 1G AWD, I was using a stock automatic trans that came out of a 140,000mi car. Overdrive (end clutches) was toast but 1st-3rd worked just fine and that's all I needed at the racetrack. I had the center diff welded and threw it in the car. With only the welded diff, big trans cooler, and blue wire mod for 100% fluid line pressure I made over 30 mid-high 10 second 1/4 passes and a ton of street and dyno tuning pulls before the clutches finally stopped holding. I was putting down 438awhp through the auto on the dyno, which would have put me damn near, if not over, 500 through a 5-speed. I now have an English Racing/Metro Transmissions "built" automatic in my car now and it's freaking amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Auto's Will be able to hold about 400 hp stock.Possibly a little more.Now if your talking a 700 hp beast, then your going to need a very beefy tranny.

Also a nice higher stall tourque converter, does wonders on the track.And allows you to get some on the line spool.

There was a guy running the 68hta on 30 psi running 10's on the stock auto tranny and cams.The guy is on the site somewhere but now he has a built motor.It's a purple 92 talon.

i keep reading up a lot about good torque converters. i cant really make up my mind because it seems that different companies are starting to offer torque converters, and the local boys re-stall torque converters around this area. i am trying to limit my self to around the 500 dollar range.

And another thing. is everyone using nitrous for the launch.
Or just forking over the cash for a super duper converter.

i keep reading up a lot about good torque converters. i cant really make up my mind because it seems that different companies are starting to offer torque converters, and the local boys re-stall torque converters around this area. i am trying to limit my self to around the 500 dollar range.

And another thing. is everyone using nitrous for the launch.
Or just forking over the cash for a super duper converter.

You shouldn't need spray or a larger converter to spool up a s16g. Thats really the only reason to go with a larger converter.

On a 16G a stock converter will be more than enough. I wouldn't worry about a higher stall converter until you're running a much larger turbo and cams. On my Summit it will footbrake the stock converter to 32-3300 with FP2's, and the 16G. It'll leave hard and has cut 1.80 60' times. I tried a 3800 stall last summer at the shootout, and it killed the bottom end. The best I could muster was a 2.52 60'.

I agree, with a stock to 16g turbo setup, there is no need to upgrade converter. If you looking to grow your setup in the future then wait until the new converters come out. Buschur has something lined up and Sinister speed can make you one according to your modification specs. Another important note is you dont want to sit on the line for more than 5 seconds otherwise trans fluid starts to get really hot.

i should update my profile.
with these cars everyone is constantly upgrading and forgetting to update profile. mybad

thx guys, my s16g is only on for brake in of engine. i got a holset super40 mated to a fp3575 exhaust housing that ill be running on e85.
i am
going for about 450-500hp

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back