The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What are some drawbacks with turbo'd autos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spills1969

Probationary Member
Jul 18, 2004
Bethlehem, Georgia
Just curious about this, mainly because I have never owned an AWD, nor a turbo car, and I got my eye on one right now :) . Only thing is that its an auto. Ive read on here, and other sites, that with a little modding these transmissions can hold up to some decent abuse. But what about the little stuff, like can you even here the BOV when it shifts? I would think that, especially with a shift kit, it would shift pretty darn quick and you couldnt really here it. I know its a noob-like question, but hey who doesnt like to hear the sound of their BOV?? :D But in general, is there anything that makes you wish it was a 5 spd?

There is a search function for a reason, all these topics have been covered many times before. No, you wont hear the BOV period unless you let off the gas (throttle plate closes). Most like 5spd due to you being able to control every shift and its more of a drivers car, but autos can brake boost and build boost off the line.

Ive been searchin all weekend, I was lookin for more personal preference-type replies. Not necessarily facts. The BOV thing was just something I was curious about, and I didnt notice any other posts about it. Thanks for the answer though

Automatics dont loose [as much] boost between shifts.

The big difference is the amount of $$ needed to get each one to run say 11.0.

IPT with stock remanned converter is around $3300

A Shepard trans is around $1800

If you are looking for a daily driver without sinking a lot of $$ into, go manual. You will go faster in the short term on less $$.

The particular car Ive been lookin at is lookin more and more like a frankenstien job. I think I might still look for an auto, but 5spd turbos are just more fun for me

Stock tranny I prefer m/t. But race rebuilt, I'd go a/t every time. Stock a/t sucks though in every car I've ever owned. I've heard vettes have great stock a/ts however. So if you go a/t, get it rebuilt asap. Then with equal power numbers you'll beat manuals all the time.

Quarthead said:
The biggest drawback is hearing the phrase “ It’s an Automatic?” every time you show someone your car. ;)
I get this a lot, its mostly under-educated people that dont know what they are talking about. I usually reply with a "Yea, but its faster then yours."

The biggest drawback that I've read here, is when brake-boosting. Supposedly, on a stock A/T, if you "over-stall" [not sure what the term would be] the converter, the extra slippage with increased revs is the end-clutch [?] slipping. So if/when you do brake-torque your car, don't do it too long [heat kills A/Ts!] or at too-high an rpm. That aside, I can't think of a drawback.

If you want to keep the car in a certain gear, I'd reccomend the "ManuMatic Mod" [not sure of the exact name, it's on this site], for very hard, fully-controllable shifts. Don't downshift off the throttle though, might break some motor mounts.

I really like my A/T GSX, what little I did drive it before pulling my engine, was a blast. Not to mention launching at full boost is good fun, when next to a Cobra or something. :thumb:

Quarthead said:
The biggest drawback is hearing the phrase “ It’s an Automatic?” every time you show someone your car. ;)

Jeff822 said:
I get this a lot, its mostly under-educated people that dont know what they are talking about. I usually reply with a "Yea, but its faster then yours."

My last time at the track a guy walked up to check out the GSX after seeing it run.

Him: It looked like you had a good run, what was your ET?
Me: 11.90’s, and I’m still only running 20psi…
Him: Sweet, the car still looks bone stock, what’s under the hood?

At this point I open the drivers door to pop the hood and he gets a quick peek inside…

Him: It’s an Automatic?
Me: Yeah, and so are about 80% of the other cars here today…

Did you ever notice everyone gets that stupid “it’s an automatic” look on their face right before they ask the big question? WTF

I believe that automatics will begin to be popular in the racing realm drag/road racing. Personally I love an automatic especially for a track like Road America or autocross when you have to do a lot of upshift/ downshifting each lap, a lot easier to engine brake with an auto then heel toe, also the no lift to shift is perfect for the application. The biggest problem right now is that people believe they are inefficient which they can be if not setup properly, heavy torque converter (but a stick has a heavy flywheel and pressure plate), second the stall is the next issue it has to be high enough to have a flash engagement, and third the TQ has to have a electronic lock up that is turned on when under full boost but will turn off when the throttle is lifted to be able to downshift.
The absolute best thing a person could do for "racing an Auto" is to get the highest stall you can find. Yes a shift kit and a cooler are very important but the stall is what can make an auto turn into a Easy Manual. An Automatic rarely will destroy drivetrain parts compared to what a stick can do.

Personally i just dont like the lag that comes from daily driving . You normal traffic situations you hit the gas to cross the lanes unboosted and it just slowly takes off then 30ft out feels like you hit nos. But if brake torqued it. IT will beat just about any car out of the hole whole . Im on a stock converter and i have shift kit and a tranny cooler . IT Pulls 1.65 60 ft times with it and occasional 1.7 . this is good but when not boosted it just takes its sweet time.

But it will tear a 5speed up at the track . NLTS!:D

Tonight I installed my Fully Built IPT tranny, Stall , Push button shifting..

Mods:

built engine 2.0l
272's magnus intake
T4 61 mm turbo
Custom Top Mount Manifold
10 pt cage
NOS spool-up for when we go with a big turbo!
The stall spools up the turbo pretty quick and we get about 20 psi on the line...

4 Slicks should hook right? I'll post pics soon!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back