The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mix your own race gas... in the hard ware store

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well let me first sate the If your stupid try this . If your not stupid you have nothing to worry about. This is very dangrous, you can blow up your house, children, car, garage,washing machine,ect.

Im not to be held accountable for anything you do.

Things you will need.

5 gallons of 93 oct gas (you can use less and lower oct amounts but its less potent)
a big pot (like a vat or crock)
a garden hose
a gaint strainer
paint thinner
paint stripper
2 2.5 gal containers of 87 oct gas
cheese grater
plastic wrappers the come on single slices of cheese.
24oz of coragated card board
a wagon wheel
bunson burner
knowleged of the dangers of flamable liquids
10 gal container to store your race gas.
5 gallon air tight container
washing machine you can use for a day
Old hot water tank
16lbs of wood chips
600v 1.25 amp dual elelment fuses
cargo pants
clip board
small shovel
access to a 8ft platform

Well now that you have ALL the above mentioned you can get started.

Take the 93 oct gas and pour those 5 gallons into the 10 gal container.
Take these items:
a big pot (like a vat or crock)
a garden hose
a gaint strainer
paint thinner
paint stripper
cheese grater
plastic wrappers the come on single slices of cheese.
24oz of coragated card board
a wagon wheel
bunson burner
knowleged of the dangers of flamable liquids
10 gal container to store your race gas.
5 gallon air tight container
washing machine you can use for a day
Old hot water tank
16lbs of wood chips
600v 1.25 amp dual elelment fuses
cargo pants
clip board
small shovel
access to a 8ft platform

and put on a table in your kitchen or selected work area.
Fire up the bunson burner and start to heat up the cheese grater to a red glow.

Put the paint thinner into the vat. Also do the same with the stripper.
Once the cheese grater is heated up red let it cool back to room temp again. (set aside you will need it later)

Put on the cargo pants I mentioned above and gather the plastic wrappers from the single sliced cheeses.

Put those in the vat also and mix untill disolved.
Take the 5 gallon container and put it in the washing machine. Disconnect the water supply and let it cycle so it shakes up the mixture of thinner/stripper/plastic wrap into a liquid.

Done? Good.

take the one 2.5 gals of 87 oct and put it in the 10 gal container.
grab the 5 gal container out of the washing machine and set the cheese grater inside of it, Then lid isnt required so disgard it. Use the 24 oz of carb board on the grater, untill its all passed though the cheese grater once and its in the mixture you made in the washing machine.

Now you should have two containers as of now.

one 2.5 gallons of 87 oct left
one 10 gallon container with 5 gallons of 93 oct and 2.5 gallons of 87.

And the two together.
You now have 267 oct gas in your 10 gallon container.
(87oct + 93oct + 87 oct)
Its also still unleaded unless you didnt follow my instructions to the T.

Enjoy.

Hope this can be added to the VFAQ or sticky or something.

I guarantee that there is a VP(or similar) dealer somewhere in your area. But yes it is possible to mix your own, it is just very expensive. It would probably be cheaper to have premade C16 or soemthing like that shipped to your home in a drum.

Have you considered converting to run on E85? Probably cheaper in the end than race gas or home made stuff.

I read this on another board from one of the senior members.
"3 gallons of toluene with 7 gallons of 92 would get you 98.4 octane"

Here is a site that ISUJakey posted on the local board.
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene/tol2.html

Here is another posted by someone else.
http://www.dsm.org/archives/1996/04/19960425.txt/8.html

Sherwin Williams sells Toulene, not sure about the other stuff you listed.

There is a gas station selling 100octane race gas over here but it's $5.50 per gallon. In the endrun, it's too expensive. Using Xylene or Toulene would make more octane and cost less.

What I still don't understand is how to mix it. Do I simply pour it into the tank or do I have to actually "mix" the components?

Generally, it's best to mix the toluene and gas in a seperate container before putting it into your gas tank.

Q: How much toluene should I use per tank of gas?

A: Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114) / 15.6 = 93.4

Here's a good link for more information. DIY race gas.

A buddy of mine used to make his on race gas for his dirt track car. HIs mixture was 50 gallons of AvGas, 5 gallons of toulene, and 1 bottle of marvel mystery oil (lubricant for avgas). He had it tested one time by the race track and it was rated at 122 octane which of course was against the rules so he had to stop using it. Now he is in the 115 range using 100 leaded gas and toulene. Once I get all of my stuff straightened out I will do a mixture of 93 and toulene to see how it turns out.

I don't think I need to remind you not to smoke around that, right? ;)

I have done it. Hardest part is locating the place that carries the straight Tolulene or Xylene.

I would not suggest mixing it over 30% without some sort of lubricant, like Marc91GSX pointed out Marvel Mystery Oil. It is a very dry liquid.....and claimed to have over 120 point octane rating...I have also read that it is the main component in Gasoline, so its totally safe when used properly:thumb:

I was looking on the back of a bottle of paint thinner, and it said that it contained toluene, acetone, methyl alcohal, and xylene in that order. Would i be safe to put that into my car? Or would i have to use straight xylene or toluene with my gas?

I remember a while back i was watching a show where they had a car the was running on pump gas and then with a flick of the switch they were able to run with race gas. I believe there was a fuel cell that held the race gas and the oem gas tank held the pump gas. But i cant remember all the details. If anyone has any insite on this please let me know because this is something i would like to do for my project gst. Thanks

-Justin

I imagine you would have to add a fuel cell in the hatch area and seperate fuel lines for it. I'm not sure how you would fuse the 2 lines. Perhaps just a simple splitter, but it may be more complicated to keep pressure and flow correct. Not sure.

Anyway, a switch to shut off the old fuel pump, a switch to turn on the new one (or use the same switch) and you should be good.

I imagine you would also want a dual stage boost controller to take advantage of the high test gas.

*edit* I can't help but think I really just wasted several minutes with that reply, but perhaps it will be put to good use.

xveganxcowboyx said:
I imagine you would have to add a fuel cell in the hatch area and seperate fuel lines for it. I'm not sure how you would fuse the 2 lines. Perhaps just a simple splitter, but it may be more complicated to keep pressure and flow correct. Not sure.

Anyway, a switch to shut off the old fuel pump, a switch to turn on the new one (or use the same switch) and you should be good.

I imagine you would also want a dual stage boost controller to take advantage of the high test gas.

*edit* I can't help but think I really just wasted several minutes with that reply, but perhaps it will be put to good use.
No man thats some good information. Now all i have to do is find the parts to make this baby work.

our jaguar has two fuel tanks in the back, so if you can design something like that it would work, when one tank is empty you push a button to switch to the other tank.

I suppose the other option is to ditch the in tank pump in lieu of an inline one and have the switch simply control which tank is open. It would save a lot of time and space running new lines. You would have more lag between octane changes though. You'd have to drive a bit before the good stuff kicked in.

xveganxcowboyx said:
I suppose the other option is to ditch the in tank pump in lieu of an inline one and have the switch simply control which tank is open. It would save a lot of time and space running new lines. You would have more lag between octane changes though. You'd have to drive a bit before the good stuff kicked in.
Ya that is definately not what i want to happen. I saw it on this speed channel show so im gonna have to find that episode to see what they did. All i know it was instant power as soon as they flipped the switch.

You do realise race gas won't actually give you any power, right? It simply allows you to run more boost which enables more power.

A water/meth kit would be a better way to go.

Also when you know you're going to go out and have some fun. Just buy extra race gas that you take home. When you feel like going out to play with some higher boost, mix it into your regular fuel for a good octane boost.

or just go to your local airport and fill up on 103 octane, or i can mix up a batch of 116 octane for you

just trying to get more info that will benefit me and others, any body that had previously used this as a octane booster feel free to post
[edit] Uses
Toluene is a common solvent, able to dissolve: paints, paint thinners, many chemical reactants, rubber, printing ink, adhesives (glues), lacquers, leather tanners, and disinfectants. It can also be used as a fullerene indicator, and is a raw material for toluene diisocyanate (used in the manufacture of polyurethane foam), phenol and TNT. Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 84% by volume, fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s. Small 1.5L turbo engines were known to operate at 5 bar (73 psi) boost in qualifying and 4 bars (59 psi) while racing. More than 1500bhp from 1.5L engines was possible. For proper atomization, the Toluene fuel blend was preheated. Industrial uses of toluene include dealkylation to benzene and disproportionation to a mixture of benzene and xylene. Toluene can be used to break open red blood cells in order to extract hemoglobin in biochemistry experiments.

Rocket Fuel

When Honda was spending 500 millions dollars a year on their V6 Formula 1 Turbo motors they ran a mixture containing 84% Toluene. It has excellent anti-detonation properties and increases your octane rating. If you are running 92 octane pump gasoline and you add this stuff, your octane rating will be changed by the formula:

[(Quarts Gas x 92) + (Quarts Toluene x 114)] / (Quarts Gasoline + Quarts Toluene).

For example, if you add one quart Toluene to four gallons of gasoline, your Octane will increase from 92 to 93.29. For you high boost junkies this is something to ponder. You can buy the product in hardware stores.

What exactly are you trying to get from this thread?

Toluene is pretty nice. The time I went to the track I only put 32oz in my tank and it lowered knock counts a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back