The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mix your own race gas... in the hard ware store

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well let me first sate the If your stupid try this . If your not stupid you have nothing to worry about. This is very dangrous, you can blow up your house, children, car, garage,washing machine,ect.

Im not to be held accountable for anything you do.

Things you will need.

5 gallons of 93 oct gas (you can use less and lower oct amounts but its less potent)
a big pot (like a vat or crock)
a garden hose
a gaint strainer
paint thinner
paint stripper
2 2.5 gal containers of 87 oct gas
cheese grater
plastic wrappers the come on single slices of cheese.
24oz of coragated card board
a wagon wheel
bunson burner
knowleged of the dangers of flamable liquids
10 gal container to store your race gas.
5 gallon air tight container
washing machine you can use for a day
Old hot water tank
16lbs of wood chips
600v 1.25 amp dual elelment fuses
cargo pants
clip board
small shovel
access to a 8ft platform

Well now that you have ALL the above mentioned you can get started.

Take the 93 oct gas and pour those 5 gallons into the 10 gal container.
Take these items:
a big pot (like a vat or crock)
a garden hose
a gaint strainer
paint thinner
paint stripper
cheese grater
plastic wrappers the come on single slices of cheese.
24oz of coragated card board
a wagon wheel
bunson burner
knowleged of the dangers of flamable liquids
10 gal container to store your race gas.
5 gallon air tight container
washing machine you can use for a day
Old hot water tank
16lbs of wood chips
600v 1.25 amp dual elelment fuses
cargo pants
clip board
small shovel
access to a 8ft platform

and put on a table in your kitchen or selected work area.
Fire up the bunson burner and start to heat up the cheese grater to a red glow.

Put the paint thinner into the vat. Also do the same with the stripper.
Once the cheese grater is heated up red let it cool back to room temp again. (set aside you will need it later)

Put on the cargo pants I mentioned above and gather the plastic wrappers from the single sliced cheeses.

Put those in the vat also and mix untill disolved.
Take the 5 gallon container and put it in the washing machine. Disconnect the water supply and let it cycle so it shakes up the mixture of thinner/stripper/plastic wrap into a liquid.

Done? Good.

take the one 2.5 gals of 87 oct and put it in the 10 gal container.
grab the 5 gal container out of the washing machine and set the cheese grater inside of it, Then lid isnt required so disgard it. Use the 24 oz of carb board on the grater, untill its all passed though the cheese grater once and its in the mixture you made in the washing machine.

Now you should have two containers as of now.

one 2.5 gallons of 87 oct left
one 10 gallon container with 5 gallons of 93 oct and 2.5 gallons of 87.

And the two together.
You now have 267 oct gas in your 10 gallon container.
(87oct + 93oct + 87 oct)
Its also still unleaded unless you didnt follow my instructions to the T.

Enjoy.

Hope this can be added to the VFAQ or sticky or something.

So im siting in chemistry a while back and my chem teacher was talking about gas prices and how insane they are ect ect. Well out of the blue he was talking about his dads old muscle cars or something but he use to but aviation fuel in the bastard when he figured out, he can mix 87oct with Toulene (100%paint thinner!) and dump auto transmision fluid in it for a bit of lubrication. I was calling bullshit the whole time, I didnt belive it but he happend to have a can of genric octane boost, guess what the main "ingreedent" was. yeah Toulene. But in the more expensive octane boosts the main ingreedent was xylene. Xylene is di-methyl benzene when toulene is methl benzene, the methyl the alchohol is whats burning, so your geting about twice the go juice. Well a standard can of paint thinner with mineral sprits (a cleaing agent...) contains a mix of toulene and xylene. Well here is the magical solution.

This is what the "popular brand" of octaine boost ended up equaling.

for 8 16oz bottles

100 oz of toluene for octane boost (i bought the tolune at sherman wilams for 4 bucks!)
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent/"fuel injector cleaner!" not required in the mix!)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

shazam, that will boost you up circa 3.2 points just like octane booster does.... BECAUSE ITS THE SAME THING

ill take pics of the process and picks of me pooring it in my dsm, im not afraid! just rember that f1 cars run on 81% toluene ( I cant site this fact it came from my teachers mouth!) And rember they put it in tanks druing ww2!

-now xylene is a bit harder to get ahold of in a pure form, but you can find it.... now ill put a link up for a xylene solution in a few days, ill try it on my dsm before i nuke yours!

I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with making tour own race gas. Bringing up 10 gallons of gas a couple points with a $3.00 gallon of Paint thinner sounds great. Does anyone know if this could be detrimental to your fuel system? Here is a link a i found from a website but most the people that used it there had carbuerated(sp?) cars.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

for 8 16oz bottles

100 oz of toluene for octane boost (i bought the tolune at sherman wilams for 4 bucks!)
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent/"fuel injector cleaner!" not required in the mix!)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

shazam, that will boost you up circa 3.2 points just like octane booster does.... BECAUSE ITS THE SAME THING

The reason I am really curious about this is because it doesnt seem like to many people talk about it/use it here. This seems like a nice alternative between 93 octane and leaded race gas and especially people on the west coast.

Thats a really good article I just called my local hardware store and they have it for:

$8.59 a gallon
or
$36.00 for 5 gallons

I'll let you know how it turns out (yeah its only a 1.8 ltr but I do have full exhaust no cat and K & N intake) so hopefully I will see some improvement I am going to mix 1 gallon to a full tank of 92 octane.

:dsm: :D :dsm:

yea i think a good mixture to bump your octane up 2 points would be 9 gallons gas to 1 gallon toulene. make sure not to get it on your paint. alos you would see alot mote improvements with boost/nos/high compression for knock and similar reasons.

I know someone has actually done this and there just waiting to reply ;)

So i tried this last night in my truck (which loves premium) anyways I went and put in 3 gallons of tolune and 3gallons of 94 which i beleive brings me up to 109 octane and let me tell you this stuff works like a dream. The only down side i can see on my truck is its a lil hard to start but i remedied that by putting in hotter plugs (i wouldn't recomeend that on turbo cars) another thing that i could have done is add some gasoline effectivley lowering the octance level. this does make a big difference though. The reason why I decided to do this is i had a grudge race between me (94 dodge dakota) and my freinds 01 vw gti that consitanly pulls 14.3. Knowing my truck only does 15.2 I needed some help. We raced on an old abbonded runway. when the dust settled and everything was said and done he could only a nose infront of me it was a very close race! Sorry for the long post but this really does work i'll let you know if i start to see any bad side effects

Originally posted by pgdsm
So i tried this last night in my truck (which loves premium) anyways I went and put in 3 gallons of tolune and 3gallons of 94 which i beleive brings me up to 109 octane and let me tell you this stuff works like a dream. The only down side i can see on my truck is its a lil hard to start but i remedied that by putting in hotter plugs (i wouldn't recomeend that on turbo cars) another thing that i could have done is add some gasoline effectivley lowering the octance level. this does make a big difference though. The reason why I decided to do this is i had a grudge race between me (94 dodge dakota) and my freinds 01 vw gti that consitanly pulls 14.3. Knowing my truck only does 15.2 I needed some help. We raced on an old abbonded runway. when the dust settled and everything was said and done he could only a nose infront of me it was a very close race! Sorry for the long post but this really does work i'll let you know if i start to see any bad side effects

becareful you are using too high of a toulene/gas mix. i beleive the MAX is supposed to be 30% toulene 70% gas, i forgot the exact reason why but there is one so becareful. i dont want this thread to be responsible for someone ruining their engine :cry: . Anyway good luck with your success with it, just becareful with your ratios. If anyone has any additional info please share

In the first column you put how much gas you want to put into your tank.
In the second column you put the octane rating of the gasoline you are using. In the third column you put how many gallons of toluene you want to add into the mixture of gas and in the 4th column the octane rating of toluene is 114 so always put 114.

The last three columns consist of Total Gallons, Average Octane and Percent toluene. The total gallons is gallons gasoline + gallons toluene. The average octane is octane rating of gasoline + octane rating of toluene divided by 2. And the percent toluene is the mixture of the gas and toluene. Like saying, there is this much percent of toluene in my gas tank.

The last three columns are updated by themselves so there is no need to input any information just the first four columns need input.

I hope this explains it.

This is where I got the formula for the spreadsheet.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octaneexplained.html

Q: How much toluene should I use per tank of gas?

A: Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114) / 15.6 = 93.4

There is also mention of not exceeding a 30% toluene mix, which is why I added the percent column. A g1 DSM fuel tank holds 15.8 gallons, and personally I would not exceed 20% toluene so:

(12.8 * 91) + (3 * 114) / 15.8 = 95.4 (19%)

as calculated by the spreadsheet...

Luke

for more info www.supraforums.com

go there and search toluene or toulene in the search thing...you will get alllllllot of info on it.

alot of the supra guys are running it..single turbo ones.

dynoing over 450-700 hp.It works im using it tonight in my laser.....sleeper 16g 20psi and all the other suporting mods.

I sugest running 1gallon of toluene/5 oz of marvel mystery oil to 3 4 gallons of gas

gofaster87 said:
Most people use Toluene in about a 15 percent mixture in the tank to raise octane. Ive tried it many times and it works great but that was on a turbo car. These guys are right, you wont see any gain on an n/a car unless youre running really high compression.

Just wanted to point out, 10% by volume gives roughly 116octane gas... So I'd be careful going with 15!

temfate said:
Just wanted to point out, 10% by volume gives roughly 116octane gas... So I'd be careful going with 15!

Toluene is only rated at 114 octane. 2 gallons of Toluene and 12 gallons of 91 would equal a little over 94 octane. This is per a 76 mixing chart of different octanes.

gofaster87 said:
Toluene is only rated at 114 octane. 2 gallons of Toluene and 12 gallons of 91 would equal a little over 94 octane. This is per a 76 mixing chart of different octanes.

As listed in the tech article:

(you can also find further corroboration in the January, 2004 issue of HCI, pg 155) Basically, adding 10% by volume of toluene to high octane (91-92) pump gas will generate a 28% increase in overall octane. (A)Pump gas octane multiplied by (B)Toluene octane boost % = (C)Total octane gain. e.g. 91 X .28 = 25.48, 91 + 25.48 = 116.48)

EDIT: I think the difference might be the method of calculating octane... That article assumes research octance, not r+m/2

temfate said:
As listed in the tech article:

(you can also find further corroboration in the January, 2004 issue of HCI, pg 155) Basically, adding 10% by volume of toluene to high octane (91-92) pump gas will generate a 28% increase in overall octane. (A)Pump gas octane multiplied by (B)Toluene octane boost % = (C)Total octane gain. e.g. 91 X .28 = 25.48, 91 + 25.48 = 116.48)

EDIT: I think the difference might be the method of calculating octane... That article assumes research octance, not r+m/2

On second thought, that doesn't even make it work... We really should have the mods delete that tech article... It's just completely wrong... Its here if anyone wants to verify:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96893

GSGoinFast said:
right, no gains from higher octane. maybe that chemical has a property that gives you more energy in combustion, but no power will be gained from higher octane

You can see some. With higher octane you can advance your timing a little more without worrying about detonation. This in turn can give you a little more power.

dsmrunnah95 said:
You can see some. With higher octane you can advance your timing a little more without worrying about detonation. This in turn can give you a little more power.

No, like i said, no power gains from the higher octane. advancing timing is not power from the higher octane, its power from advancing timing.

Mike1992 said:
So i guess I need to stop buying 91 and use 87?

This is how I understand Octane ratings. Our cars run on internal combustion, a process that applies pressure to the air/fuel mixture fed into the cylinder. As the air/fuel mixture is compressed, the air and fuel begin to heat up (a product of molecules striking eachother) and consequently become more volatile (explosive). The octane rating establishes the amount of pressure that the fuel can withstand before it achieves detonation, something that Gasoline engines control with a sparkplug. If the air/fuel mixture ignites too soon, the "pre-detonation" will fight the piston's compression process and will slow the engine. Your car needs high octane fuel as the compression ratio is too high for low octane fuel. Using 92 octane will prevent "pre-detonation", not add horsepower. By switching to 100 octane, you would further remove the risk of "pre-detonation".

nutshot said:
This is how I understand Octane ratings. Our cars run on internal combustion, a process that applies pressure to the air/fuel mixture fed into the cylinder. As the air/fuel mixture is compressed, the air and fuel begin to heat up (a product of molecules striking eachother) and consequently become more volatile (explosive). The octane rating establishes the amount of pressure that the fuel can withstand before it achieves detonation, something that Gasoline engines control with a sparkplug. If the air/fuel mixture ignites too soon, the "pre-detonation" will fight the piston's compression process and will slow the engine. Your car needs high octane fuel as the compression ratio is too high for low octane fuel. Using 92 octane will prevent "pre-detonation", not add horsepower. By switching to 100 octane, you would further remove the risk of "pre-detonation".

that Mike guy doesnt need to buy 91, 87 will do fine because hes NA. higher octane is only needed if you have a higher compression, turbo, or nitrous, or advance timing a lot. but a stock NA runs fine on 87

GSGoinFast said:
that Mike guy doesnt need to buy 91, 87 will do fine because hes NA. higher octane is only needed if you have a higher compression, turbo, or nitrous, or advance timing a lot. but a stock NA runs fine on 87

My 1.8L was happier with 89-91 than on 87. I can only assume the 4G63 N/A would be close.

Should I put some 89-91 in my 1.8 once in a while then?

1.8Lof94Eclipse said:
Should I put some 89-91 in my 1.8 once in a while then?

No. Don't use a specific octane fuel "once in a while." If your car pings under load (low rpm while climbing a hill), you need higher octane. Putting a tank of high octane fuel in your car every other tank will really only help while that fuel is in the system. Oh, don't use ethanol mixes either, they ping pretty early too. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back