The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Misfire on 1g in a 2g swap question about it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flybiyou

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2003
somewhere, Illinois
If I do the potentiometer trick to get ride of the missfire which is driving me INSANE :mad: .. and tune it with a SAFC so the fuel is set well is it a perment fix or risky. I dont have the money for a dsmlink since i just through 7000.00 on all the new things and motor. I do want to run the car this summer and take it to the track I didnt spend all this money to let it sit and wait till I can afford a dsmlink. PLease anyone with knowledge of this I really need the help also how bad is it to missfire I feel it and let go of the throttle and coast in netural for a sec and it goes away.

Thanks in advance

AJ

magnus's webpage said:
IF CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS OCCUR! TRY THIS:

(Blake Heisler's Fix for misfire Check Engine Lights (CELs) when putting a 1G Cam Angle Sensor (CAS) on a 2G)

Many people using the 1G CAS on a 2G head have been running into problems with misfire engine codes while at cruise. Many different things have been blamed for this and many different fixes have been attempted.

This fix will keep the ECU from looking for misfires at all. This is the criterion that must be met before the ECU will start to look for misfires:

1. 300+ seconds of steady state RPM less than 80% throttle position

2. Engine coolant temperature -10C or higher

3. Intake air temperature -10C or higher

4. Barometric pressure greater than 76 kPa

Now if we can get one of these values outside of the criteria the ECU won’t check for misfires. The value that would be the easiest to change would be the barometric pressure sensor. We’re going to add resistance to this value so that the ECU will see less barometric pressure than what there really is. This will also lean the car out so you should see a performance increase as well. Depending on the car and altitude you might need to add more fuel with an AFC.

So let’s get started, Parts needed:

A 10K potentiometer (although a 5K would probably do just fine). These are available at any electronics store, if you go to Radio Shack ask for a volume control knob because they don’t know what a potentiometer is

Wire strippers

Soldering iron

Step 1: Remove the access panel on the driver’s side of the center console. You should now see four plugs with a ton of wires going to them.

Step 2: Pull out the top plug, it’ll be the one that’s the hardest to reach. Locate wire #85. It’s orange with a white stripe.

Step 3: Cut the orange wire in half. Solder one end of the wire to the center peg of your potentiometer. Solder the other end to either the left or right leg, it doesn’t matter which. Turn your potentiometer all the way counter-clockwise.

Step 4: Plug the harness back in and start up the car. It should sound like it did before you did any modifications. If the idle is choppy or the car won’t run you turned your potentiometer the wrong way.

Step 5: Add resistance to the barometric pressure sensor by slowly turning the knob on the potentiometer. Drive the car around; if you get a CEL then add some more resistance. Keep doing this until you no longer get the CELs.

That’s it, special thanks to Marco for pioneering this mod and to all the guys on the DSM1Gina2G Yahoo group for all the discussion, ideas, etc.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/1g2g.asp
At the bottom of the page bro.
:)

it didnt do much for me when i tryed the POT trick.
but i do know people that it helped out -- try it and see. log your car to be sure you dont go to lean.

The guy who did my motor put it in for me today dont know if it is working or not. It was doing it so much I had to pull the pos terminal to reset the computer to take it to him. It went away for quite awhile when i did it last time see if it comes back after this. I will tell you tommorow. I havent loged it or wideband it yet will do that here tommorow also I dont think I will though cause he set me up kinda rich durring the breakin of the new motor but to make sure i will see if I can find someone around here with a logger they will let me use of someoone with a wideband. Is there any real downsides to this cause I dont have the cash for a dsmlink plus I have to find a 95 eprom and the car is a everday driver for me.Anyway thanks for the help any ideas on the whole idea of doing this ( BAD_GOOD)

Thanks

AJ

Did the misfire come back after u put the potentiometer in ? I have the misfire I'm trying to figure it out but very frustrating

Did the misfire come back after u put the potentiometer in ? I have the misfire I'm trying to figure it out but very frustrating

Wow this was a old thread to see pop up in my email.
To answer you though yes it did fix the issue. I did recheck Fuel and needed a few tweaks nothing major mainly in the lower RPM . It did happen Maybe 1 or 2 times a year but just barley touched the knob to adjust and was fine. Guessing bumps in road. Good luck.

Thanks I put my smaller injectors in and my old ecu for now cleared up the misfire for now thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back