The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G MFI/MPI Relay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahl23

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2004
Wellesley, Massachusetts
I know a lot of guys are trying to find the MFI/MPI relay, here's where it is and what it looks like on a 95 GSX.

Attachments

• MFI.jpg
    MFI.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 16,301
  • MFI In Connector.jpg
    MFI In Connector.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 21,958
  • MFI Mounting Holes.jpg
    MFI Mounting Holes.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 11,307
Solution
Testing the relay is a matter of applying power to the coil winding and making sure the contacts close. Inside the metal box are two relays, one for the MPI power and one for the fuel pump power. The fuel pump relay has two coil windings and energising either should close the contacts.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the circuit for an 1G automatic car taken from the 1G tech manual. The manual cars have the starter relay and clutch safety switch replacing the AT Inhibitor switch for providing power to the second fuel pump coil to activate the pump while cranking the engine.

Applying +12v to pin 10 and the ground (-battery) connection to pin 8 should make 12v show up at pins 4 and 5. Same deal for pin 3 and 7 causing...
alright thanks man. i spent a few more hours searching and someone mentioned that the crank angle sensor (CAS) is the best way to do it on a 2g. i know it is located somewhere around the fire wall. by unpluging the MPI fuse, will this eliminate all spark and cut fuel? i just dont want to see an engine with 2,500 miles go. also, will it throw and codes that i have to clear or restart the ecu? and thanks i was thinking 10 cranks and wait 10 seconds around 4 to 5 times. after i get enough oil pressure, would it be a good time to look for any leaks, or should i start the car and check?

Like Steve said, pulling the MPI fuse will shut off the ECU so there will be no fuel/ spark. If you do unplug the CAS, it will throw a trouble code which will need cleared either by resetting the ECU or by way of a tuning device like ECMLink or just a simple OBDII scan tool. That is why I suggested just pulling the fuse so there will be no trouble codes. You should start the car to make sure both oil and coolant lines show no leaks. Obviously if you prime the turbo and oil shoots out, you need to fix it. :p

thanks a lot guys! i dont want anymore work than what i have to. i am doing this alone to really understand my car so i can have more "under the hood" experience in the auto world. plus a check engine light at 1500 miles on the trans, engine and clutch is just embarrassing haha

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=87f173664d&view=att&th=13f4d2871b0c2dd1&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_J0-19sR5bsjhgjw9zyV3O&sadet=1371389104278&sads=k1zsEMzVZ3AOodXGzBmHshWIWYQ&sadssc=1

This is my ecu appears good. My fuel pump turns on and my starter clicks but does not spin. I ruled out clutch switch and starter relay and the one by the starter relay. its the MPI/MFI that clicks after the pump turns on and the starter clicks once. how do I test the MPI/MFI relay while its plugged in? sorry I just want to get the problem figured out. The car jump starts. And will continue to idle. But wont start itself. The battery checks out at 12.6. I've unplugged the clutch switch nothing changed. If I turn the key without pressing the clutch the relay under the radio clicks if I press on the clutch and turn the key the MPI/MFI clicks but the fuel pump turns on and the starter motor gear comes out but doesn't spin.

maybe one of you can help me!!!! my safc2 wont turn off when i turn the car off which means the ecu isnt turning off. ive had the safc for 6 months with no problems but one day just started doing this, the car runs perfect. looked at the ecu and looks fine, no leaks. so i think its the mpi relay becuase if i hit the relay with my hand the ecu turns off!

Here is what the MPI/MFI relays look like on a '97 GSX.

Same as the '95, only these are 2 separate relays and are behind that brace there, held on with the 2 bolts seen in the pic.

The relay with red wires is for the ECU. That relay brings both pins 12 & 25 up to +12 on the ECU, with key on and the 30A 'moteur' in place. Which is located - fuse box in engine bay.

When that relay is activated, the ECU is in turn, activated. Once that happens, the ECU then turns on the OTHER relay next to it for a brief amount of time, which is for the fuel pump to pressurize (prime) the fuel system when the key is first cycled to the 'run' position.

So if you pull the 30A 'moteur' fuse in the engine bay, then neither of those relays will switch on = no fuel pump because = no ECU.

After wiring in a few things and fixing the ECU wiring, I wanted to throw this out there before I forgot :p

Any false info, please let me know and I'll edit :thumb:

Is it located in the same place for the 1g.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back