The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Looking for advice on a talon I'm looking to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbr92nizine

Probationary Member
Aug 30, 2019
Ft recovery, Ohio
Can any of you give me a rough hp estimate for this setup?

85,xxx Miles on the car 96+ miles on the new motor 1999 EVO Block (thrust washer main bearings, how they eliminated crank walk issues, same block used until 2008) Balance shafts removed Gates Racing Timing Belt Venolia Forged Full Float Pistons 8.5:1 Ratio Crower Billet Steel Connecting Rods with Crower Rod Bolts New OEM Forged Crankshaft ACT Racelite Bearings ARP Head, and Main Studs 1G 6 Bolt Head 1G Cam Angle Sensor 1G Dual Plane Cyclone Intake Manifold Walboro 255 LPH Fuel Pump 880 CC Fuel Injectors Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Equal Length Tubular Exhaust Manifold 56 Trim Bullseye Turbo W/ around 80 Miles of use 3" Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust New 2600 LB Clutch Pillar Gauges Wideband O2 Sensor New Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors with Ceramic Pads New Front Suspension Ball Joints, Bushings, Control Arms Front Mount Intercooler Hallman Manual Boost Controller Custom Programmed Socketed EEprom ECU, flow matched to the Injectors, setup to control the dual plane intake at around 4800 RPM, No Lift to Shift and Stutter Box Launch, All airflow and timing caps removed, detonation signaled on the stock boost gauge and the Check Engine Light will blink at 5 counts of knock, GM mass airflow sensor with translator for fine tuning the trims. The block was custom bored to match the pistons and all of the internals were balanced to within 3grams Only ever ran Valvoline VRI 20w50 racing oil (Due to the high zinc content for wear resistance) EVO Oil Filter Housing thermostatically controlled for external oil cooler mounted behind the intercooler Short Throw Shifter 18" Konig wheels w/2 new spare tires that have never been mounted; current tires are dry rotten from sitting. Aluminum Dual Core Radiator with Dual Electric Slim Fans More odds and ends that I can't remember I am sure... There has been a lot done to this car over the years I have owned it, I just don't have the time for it anymore.

8.5:1 is not impressive.

That being said the horsepower for that car could vary so widely that an estimate would be nothing but an estimate. It depends on the specific tune, the quality of parts and work, fuel run, etc. etc...

Only the dyno can tell you the REAL numbers for that setup.

8.5:1 is not impressive.

That being said the horsepower for that car could vary so widely that an estimate would be nothing but an estimate. It depends on the specific tune, the quality of parts and work, fuel run, etc. etc...

Only the dyno can tell you the REAL numbers for that setup.
I was wondering about that compression ratio. He said he did it to run higher boost but I'm somewhat new to this and wanted other people's opinions on the setup.

I was wondering about that compression ratio. He said he did it to run higher boost but I'm somewhat new to this and wanted other people's opinions on the setup.
Well the setup sounds good. I'm just saying we can't even get close to exact here.

And stock compression for a 420a is 9.8:1. Thats why I say it not impressive

The tune w
Well the setup sounds good. I'm just saying we can't even get close to exact here.

And stock compression for a 420a is 9.8:1. Thats why I say it not impressive
As done by Jeff oberholtser from dsm chip. I was just wondering if anyone had rough estimate. He says 400 but like I said I'm somewhat new to this and don't know if those numbers are practical on that set up

He says 400
That's believable. If you look around at the actual number from members of this site, it can be pretty impressive. I think I saw one with 500+ hp. Try looking around at the DSM profiles and look for their hp numbers. Then click on the profile to look at their setup and see.

The fuel system and turbo would be capable of about 400-450whp on a dyno jet running 93 octane with a good tune.

That particular engine build would hold a good bit more, if assembled with proper clearances, but the cyclone intake manifold might be a little restrictive for very much more than 400whp.

Also, 8.5:1 is just fine for a turbocharged engine running enough boost to make 400+whp.

8.5:1 is plenty for a high horsepower build, stock 6 bolt came with 7.5:1 or thereabouts, on a non turbo that would be low, on a turbo car that is plenty and alot of guys run less than that, the build sounds solid, and is capable of much more if its assembled right.

The fuel system and turbo would be capable of about 400-450whp on a dyno jet running 93 octane with a good tune.

That particular engine build would hold a good bit more, if assembled with proper clearances, but the cyclone intake manifold might be a little restrictive for very much more than 400whp.

Also, 8.5:1 is just fine for a turbocharged engine running enough boost to make 400+whp.

People have made mid 600 awhp on the cyclone IM without it being ported. It's not as restrictive as people think. Plus the torque gains and decrease in spool up times is WELL worth the 3-5cfm you'll lose up top IF ITS used and actuated properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back