The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

Actually that could be exactly why it IS the manifold - it's too cold for it to expand & seal the small cracks - basically - it's general opinion that ALL turbo 1G manifolds crack - if yours isn't - you have a rare fluke of a 1G manny. It really does sound "similar".

This isn't to say you couldn't have a lifter tick but the odds are pretty damn good you've got a manny tick....

Also from what I gather the '90 guys often can the lower lift '90 turbo cams when upgrading lifters & go with the sportier '91 turbo cams. On even later years there was a lifter upgrade too.

it never ticked with the other oils I used only when I switched to mobil 1 but if it was a manifold tick it would tick spring, summer, fall, winter regardless of outside temperature. since it would require manifold temp to seal the cracks. true the metal wouldn't shrink as much at 70 degrees than it would at 10 but my point is their would be a crack untill the manifold comes up to operating temp. So it would tick everytime untill it warmed up. This is what makes me think its the oil.

True - but it could've just cracked this week - mine cracked this summer - before that - no ticks. Mobil One is great stuff - they use the stuff in the frozen tundras of Siberia...

Mine used to make a tick and the reason was, one of the nuts by the tb was lose and it would make the noise until it warms up. I tightened it up real hard and it doesn't do it anymore.
I still have lifter tick, you can hear it inside the car, but you can hardly hear it when you are outside of the car.

It could be the wieght of your oil. And if its stopping after warm up then thats what it sounds like. Ive used Mobil 1 since day 1 :) no a tick to be heard. Now on my old gs spyder it ticked like a mofooooo. (cheap oil)

Keep in mind when its 10* your oil is alittle thicker then normal. Or if someone has always used normal oil and you switched over to syn. oil . The deposits will "break free" and cause a tick also.

I have looked for info and found many people have lifter tick but I am not sure if I do or if it is something else. When my engine is cold there is a clicking noise coming from what sounds like right behind the valve cover. Once the car warms up the sound is gone. I thought that it might be a valve tap but I can't place where the sound is coming from. The sound also ticks faster when I push the gas. I know this could be anything but I would like to know if someone could explain what lifter tick sounded like.

Check on www.dsmtalk.com in the Parts Talk section there is a sticky to get the lifters cheap. I don't know how much labor it will be though.

lifters are really easy to replace...it just takes a little time you should check out vfaq.com they have something about replacing lifters and cleaning them...if u own a 1g car you should replace the lifters with 2G ones because they have a bigger oil passage...
good luck

Another "cheapo" option is to remove your lifters, and soak them for a few days in petroleum distillates to get all the deposits and buildup off. This may not keep the tick away for as long as the 2g lifters would tho...

I started my car the other day and while it was idling the engine started making a ticking sound, over and over. I think it might be my valves but I'm not sure. Does anyone know what it could be and how much it would cost to get fixed?
~Bryan

Maybe lifter tick, I'm not sure if the 420A has hydraulic lifters. When was the last time you changed your oil, and what weight-type-synthetic or not?

Did you use this same oil previously? Changing brands or viscosities will sometimes cause lifter tick. Mobil 1 10w30 does it to my 4g63 when it's cold outside. If you let her warm up and it goes away or gets quiter, it's most likely lifter tick.

I referred to this link, and found that the 420a in fact does use hydraulic lash adjusters/lifters.

http://www.geocities.com/dehmke/Non_Turbo_DSM_Specs2.htm

I have a ticking sound coming from the back of engine / firewall area that can be heard from inside the car when it is at idle. It is only heard when the car is at normal temperature. This is a rythmic tick, sounds just like someone tapping a pen on a desk about once per second. It does not increase with engine rpm, or the clutch in or out. I have ruled out lifter tick, as that is a much faster ticking. Has anyone else experienced this or know what could be causing it?

Originally posted by c2joe
I have a ticking sound coming from the back of engine / firewall area that can be heard from inside the car when it is at idle. It is only heard when the car is at normal temperature. This is a rythmic tick, sounds just like someone tapping a pen on a desk about once per second.

Funny business, I just heard it on my son's car this last week end. It's a relay or selonoid valve but I got side tracked and forgot to check further. It may be normal smog equipment processing information and acting on it. I'm starting to loose some hearing but don't think it was there a week ago. The location was the gang of 3-4 selonoids on the upper left of the firewall close to the hood hinge. I don't have my book handy so can't remember their functions.

Anyone else know what we are talking about. I can't go much further until I know which one was acting up.

You could go and put your hand on each one and then identify what is the hose color stripe. On the underside of the hood there may be a color coded vacuum line diagram that will identify it's function.

Cheers,
GTM

When I first got my car the engine always was nice and quiet. I have been doing all of the maintanence that needs to be done to my car but for some reason lately everytime I start my car or drive it around, my engine always sounds like tick tick tick tick tick tick!! the ticking is really loud. I always change my oil when it needs to and I've already changed the oil again and done an engine flush and it still ticks really loud!!!!! What could be the problem?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back